Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 32 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1511

Thread: Ladies - LP

  1. #1216
    Custom Title figuristka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Finland & Canada
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks Kalle for your comment from watching live. Its always interesting to me how the skater's come across live, as its not always the same as tv. Glad you enjoyed watching Cynthia. I used to live in Canada so have seen her many times, though not live. Glad Europeans got the chance to see her when she is skating well. Iam not sure if she will be a really consistant skater throughout the season next year but if she peaks at the right time again for Worlds then its good.

  2. #1217
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Kalle, thanks so much for your eyewitness report! It's great to hear from people who actually got to be there. A person in the venue always notices some detail that doesn't come through on TV (or in my case this year, YouTube). I'm so pleased to hear that Carolina did such a good job on home ice, and that Mao, Mirai, and Rippon were so impressive to you. How nice that you got to encounter some of the skaters off the ice, too.
    I always enjoy reading other skating fans reports too
    It is not often that I get to see live skating but each time I realize how differently you experience some skaters and their programs.
    Last edited by kalle; 03-28-2010 at 03:15 PM.

  3. #1218
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    Yes, thanks for the birds-eye report. I think there are some things that don't make it through the TV which impact how those of us at home may see and judge the skaters, such as speed/flow across the ice.

  4. #1219
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Thanks Kalle for your comment from watching live. Its always interesting to me how the skater's come across live, as its not always the same as tv. Glad you enjoyed watching Cynthia. I used to live in Canada so have seen her many times, though not live. Glad Europeans got the chance to see her when she is skating well. Iam not sure if she will be a really consistant skater throughout the season next year but if she peaks at the right time again for Worlds then its good.
    Cynthia skate was just fantastic, I hope this boots her confidence as she has a lot of potential.
    She was very elegant, powerfull, yet very gentle on the ice and for the first time in years, I did not "think" that she would fall, she seemed to be in a very good place mentally speaking.

    I like the fact that it is not impossible to become a champion at a "later" stage in your career. I really admire skaters such as Shizuka and Joannie, the way they worked their way up from year to year.
    I believe you shall never give up, that is why sometimes it is kind of cruel to read that some people prefers skaters like Alissa and Carolina to retire..
    As a fan it can be frustrating to see such talented skaters not live up to their potentials but I realised after Carolinas skate yesterday that she was there for the love of skating, I really felt that it meant so much to her to be able to share her emotions through her program despite the final standings..

  5. #1220
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,978
    Cynthia was awesome! I'm wondering though, is it just a coincidence that all the Canadian lady skaters are SO MUSCULAR? I mean really, Joannie, Cynthia, Amelie, Myrianne, Dianne. Maybe they condition with the hockey players ? Whatever, I like seeing a tall, muscular woman like Cynthia on the ice.

  6. #1221
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by ajjcanada View Post
    Yes, thanks for the birds-eye report. I think there are some things that don't make it through the TV which impact how those of us at home may see and judge the skaters, such as speed/flow across the ice.
    Very true!
    I expected Yuna to be way above the others in term of flow and speed over the ice but not at all..Of course, she is a reference but I was amazed to see Laura, Mirai, Cynthia and Akiko "flying" around the ice with nice transitions too..

  7. #1222
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,670
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Recently, Joannie Rochette, Rachael Flatt, and Alena Leonova have done 7 triples LPs too.
    As silverlake22 mentioned, the question was about skaters who managed to come up with a way of doing 7 triples without a triple-triple. Under the current Zayak rules 7 triples is impossible without a triple Axel, a triple-triple, or a 2A-triple combo.

    In 1998 Michelle did not recover from her broken foot in time to train her triple-triple combo. So she had to do eight jumping passes to get the full content in.

    She also used 8 jumping passes (7 triples) to edge out Lu Chen (6 triples) for the 1996 World Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan
    Was wondering - did Lu-Chen have a few 7 triple programs to her credit without a 3x3?

    And what about Irina?.
    I don't think so. Lulu did accomplish some 7 triple programs (at 1991 Worlds for instance), but always with a 3T/3T combo. She did 5 triples at 1994 Olympics and 5 in winning the 1995 World Championship.

    I am pretty sure that all of Slutskaya's 7-triple performances came after the "seven jumping pass rule" was in place.

    In comparing Kwan to Slutskaya, I think we should take note of the fact that Michelle was a young prodigy, while Irina was something of a late bloomer. By the time Irina really got it going, round about 2001-02, Michelle was already on the back slope of her career (still producing memorable programs, though.)
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.

  8. #1223
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    About the bolded sentence, no, I do not like it. I do not like it at all. What kind of sport awards points in today's championship for accomplishments six months ago?

    I do believe that Yu-na Kim received higher scores for Interpretation of this year's so-so Gershwin because she did a good job of interpreting last years wonderful LP music.

    I believe she got higher scores in Choreography at this competition, not because she did a good job of delivering the intent of the choreograpphy in this performance but becasue she had done so at Eric Bompard.

    This is a terrible flaw and weakness in the ISU judging system, IMHO.

    Mao Asada scored higher in program components than the youthful Mirai Nagasu at the Olympics, despite some technical mistakes, because she skated better, with respect to the criteria for the components. I have no quarrel with that. It is the feeling that "we should give high marks to a skater because we know she is really better that what we just saw" -- no, I can't go along with that at all.
    MM. I've never read any of your retorts to go against the judges. You normally just roll out the protocols and say that's what happened.

    I do agree with you and happy you can disagree with the judges.

  9. #1224
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    I didn't think sequences counted.

  10. #1225
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    MM. I've never read any of your retorts to go against the judges. You normally just roll out the protocols and say that's what happened.
    I am so misunderstood. Posters come on board and ask, what happened? why did so-and-so get such a low Transitions score? What does the rule say about thus-and-so?

    So I try to do my civic duty and look up the answers to these questions.

    That doesn't mean I agree or disagree with anybody. Just trying to aid the discussion by reporting the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue
    I didn't think sequences counted.
    Yes, I meant you can't come up to 7 triples unless you have a triple-triple combo or sequence, or a double Axel/triple combo or sequence, or a triple Axel. Sasha Cohen and Joannie Rochette are two skaters that used a 3S sequence to squeeze in their seventh triple.

    Michelle actually did eight separate individual passes at both 1996 Worlds and 1998 Olympics (before they changed the rules to allow only seven.)
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-28-2010 at 05:32 PM.

  11. #1226
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    and by reporting the facts, you do not have any comments about disagreeing with what the judges scored. I wish we knew who the protocolers are by name.

  12. #1227
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11
    Honestly, Yu na and Mao are in different leagues, and I'm so shocked that many of you guys do not even realize that.

    Mao's program was dull, wierd and depressing, and she is no "Yagudin' she is more suitable with light and pleasant programs. Her artistry lacks quite a bit to perform heavy musics like Bells of Moscow...She will do much better next season with the program that will suit her brightness and lightness on the ice. I am expecting her to do better next year!


    Yu-na had a good program, a program that no other skaters in the world can perform. Her difficult entrance to her jumps and speed in and out of jumps are just flawless, Yes she fell once and singled her 2A, but figure skating is so much more than doing Jumps.

    Mao is a good skater, there is no denying of that, but Yu na is one of the greatest ever, both technically and artistically, she is the 'total package' and until this season, she was underestimated by the judges ...do you guys remember 2008 worlds? how Mao won gold? and how Caro got silver over Yu na? I'm not saying Mao did anything wrong but that's how it used to be and now yu-na's finally being recognized by the judges..

  13. #1228
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    and by reporting the facts, you do not have any comments about disagreeing with what the judges scored.
    You make that sound like an accusation. Am I a bad person if I decline to comment on whether I agree or disagree with something ?

    Anyway...

    On the issue of whether technical mistakes ought to affect the program components, I think it is worth considering the opposite situation, too.

    Choreographers insert highlight elements strategically into the program to match musical climaxes. When a skater hits that big gorgeous quad BANG! right on the money, that can make or break the choreography.

    IMO the choreography and interpretation marks should not given for what the coach and choreographer put on paper. It is up to the skater to deliver the goods. This cannot be done if technique is lacking.

    A good case in point is Mirai’s Carmen LP performance at Worlds. Right at the most dramatic musical crescendo, Mirai does an Ina Bauer into a double Axel. If she hits it with panache, that definitely contributes to the overall effectiveness of the choreography.

    If she falls the choreo, interpretation and performance turn to mush.

  14. #1229
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,670
    Quote Originally Posted by nddandy
    **whole post**
    Excellent post. Thanks for the edit.

  15. #1230
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by nddandy View Post
    Honestly, Yu na and Mao are in different leagues, and I'm so shocked that many of you guys do not even realize that.

    Mao's program was dull, wierd and depressing, and she is no "Yagudin' she is more suitable with light and pleasant programs. Her artistry lacks quite a bit to perform heavy musics like Bells of Moscow...She will do much better next season with the program that will suit her brightness and lightness on the ice. I am expecting her to do better next year!


    Yu-na had a good program, a program that no other skaters in the world can perform. Her difficult entrance to her jumps and speed in and out of jumps are just flawless, Yes she fell once and singled her 2A, but figure skating is so much more than doing Jumps.

    Mao is a good skater, there is no denying of that, but Yu na is one of the greatest ever, both technically and artistically, she is the 'total package' and until this season, she was underestimated by the judges ...do you guys remember 2008 worlds? how Mao won gold? and how Caro got silver over Yu na? I'm not saying Mao did anything wrong but that's how it used to be and now yu-na's finally being recognized by the judges..
    I agree. Every time Mao beats Yuna, it's because Yuna makes significant mistakes. A perfect Yuna will beat a perfect Mao every time. Also, every time Mao beats Yuna, it's by a few points, whereas Yuna has beaten Mao by over 20 points multiple times.

Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 32 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •