Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1511

Thread: Ladies - LP

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I love the fact that we can even talk about recipes of how to make vanilla cookies and Michelle always end up the in the discussion! I think she is for a reason the Kween!

I had not seen the SC swan ever in my life! Thanx for vid. But I remember her in Words, these was the best dreamy Worlds ever!

Custom Title
    I guess after 10000 years from now the Ultimate skating championship will be held under CoP Seven Service Pack 2 with participants like Midori Ito, Kristi, Chen Lu, Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, etc. obviously all trained according to the most recent rules and technical requirements and having the same age. Then you will see who's better! I'll see what you say after it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    I guess after 10000 years from now the Ultimate skating championship will be held under CoP Seven Service Pack 2 with participants like Midori Ito, Kristi, Chen Lu, Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, etc. obviously all trained according to the most recent rules and technical requirements and having the same age. Then you will see who's better! I'll see what you say after it!
    Fair enough - but all of these girls still try to skate like Janet Lynn. They study her tapes and try to express themselves the way she did. Well, maybe not Irina

So before they have this "ultimate skating championship" I will already pick Janet.
    Besides - why settle for an imitation when you can have the original

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And then Mathman went and mentioned one of my favorite programs ever, Michelle's Song of the Black Swan, especially in the Worlds Qualifying. The combination of her assured technique and musicality, the intricate yet silken choreography, and the gorgeous music makes me return to that video again and again. [b]I just recently discovered the origin of the first section of music in that program: it turns out to be by Villa-Lobos, and it's actually called "The Song of the Black Swan."
    Here is the actual recording, by cellist Julian Lloyd Weber (younger brother of composer Andrew Lloyd Weber) and pianist John Lenehan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwB4l9DcIWI

Lori Nichol was a genius at finding off-the-beaten track gems like this. Here is an artical describing everything that went into Michelle's 1996-97 program, "Taj Mahal," featuring music by little-known Azerbajian composer Fikrat Amirov.

http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories...hellekwan.html

Finally after much searching, Nichol found a quote describing the memorial (the Taj Mahal building itself):

"Both inside and out, the marble reflects the light and mood of the changing day. Dazzling at noon. Warm and glowing at dusk. Soft and ethereal in the moonlight like the varying moods of a beautiful woman."
    Here's Michelle (age 16) at 1997 Worlds. I guess the forward-to-backward change-edge spirial on one foot was the "glowing at dusk" part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-oqw...eature=related
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-30-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Yeah I know but you still get to see the person who is on your ignore list in other posters quotes.
    I know. But it still makes a difference compared to seeing it first-hand. You can choose not to read those who repeatedly go back-to-back quoting each other's offensive comments. Also the forum guidelines recommend reporting a post that you believe really violates forum guidelines rather than responding to it yourself; note in mind that mods don't always agree with you. When I do respond, it's usually only after having done all these and still believe there's something really racist etc in the post.
    Last edited by Bennett; 03-30-2010 at 09:18 PM.

how many talents has the Lloyd Webber family? I didnt know about him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    note in mind that mods don't always agree with you.
    yes this and also there is a legend which says that you cannot put mods in ignore list even if you try ten times:boohoo:

Moderator's note:

Trolling = Posting gratuitous and inflammatory taunts with no other purpose than to try to make other Golden Skate members mad.

Bashing = Berating a skater with incessant, repetitious and pernicious johnny-one-note attacks.

Posters who do this will be banned permanently.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-30-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Moderator's note:...

Don’t do this. You will be banned permanently if you do.
    you wrote this for me???

and what is johnny-one-note attacks? Johnny Weir?
    Last edited by seniorita; 03-30-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    you wrote this for me???
    Well, you are still here, so I guess it wasn't for you.

To you I write: According to the Golden Skate guidelines, any and all gushing over favorite skaters is very much encouraged!

and what is johnny-one-note attacks?
    "Johnny-One-Note" is a fictitious singer (or trumpet player in some versions) who could sing only one note. But he sang it so loudly and could hold it so long that he drowned out all the rest of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpRBI-VxLc

So the reference is to a poster who has no other interest in figure skating than to bash the same skater over and over.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Mathman, thanks so much for the extra music information about the Villa-Lobos! I'm so excited to have that piece available to listen to.

And, as an extra bonus, the Taj Mahal article and Michelle's skate! I remember reading that it was an Azerbaijani composer. I've been impressed with Lori Nichol since I detected a small smidgeon of Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches embedded in the Salome program. Then in 1998, when Nichol crafted the Rachmaninoff short program for Michelle, she used not only material from the piano concerto but, if memory serves, part of the lesser-known (and sublime) cello sonata. These things matter to music dorks such as myself! When Michelle left Carroll, one of my great regrets was that she also left Lori Nichol. Sure enough, Michelle skated mostly to more commonly used music thereafter. Not that it was bad music, but it was frequently used music: Tosca, Scheherezade, more standard cuts of Rachmaninoff, and so on. (Aranjuez was a notable and welcome exception.)

It's funny that after all these years, when I hear the Dvorak trio I think of Michelle skating to it. Although I love chamber music for itself, her program was so memorable that it will forever be part of my thoughts about the piece.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Now I understand why you disagree with me so much~~~
    LOL... my secret identity is exposed finally!

Well ... I shouldn't have said a skater is better than the other because I know each and every skater deserves to be called the best in its own right. I couldn't imagine how many hours they have practiced and how many times they have fallen before they came out to competitions. I just feel sad that we have to rank them.

I would just like to thank all skaters for trying their best and giving me a joy and pleasure and excitement to watch their performances during this season.

Lastly, I would like to thank all of you who have born with my self-indulgent babbles. It has been pleasure discussing with you.

Now that the season is over, it is time for me to hibernate. I will probably come back to this forum next season though ... until then Sayonara.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    No one will ever be able to replace Michelle Kwan. Everyone knows about her achievements and, mostly, that magical side to her skating in presentation. But even in terms of technical ability, she has something that no ladies skater this year competing at Worlds has been able to demonstrate consistently... showing a full arsenal of the triple jumps (not including 3A) and consistently demonstrating the solidity of each one. The only recent ladies skater who has been able to do the same is Joannie Rochette (someone whose skating, imho, deserved a lot more attention than it garnered).

As for all the bickering, if Mao and Yu-Na, two teenagers, are able (and have been for years) to be cordial to one another in person, the least their fans can do is act the same way... and this is even across the internet, not face to face. Even if you don't like the other skater in any way, at least appreciate the fact that their rivalry with your favorite has motivated them to continually raise the bar in ladies figure skating. Who knows, without the other, they may not have amounted to as much as they have. And at the very least, respect their dedication to the sport and the sacrifices they have had to and continually make for it.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Mathman, thank you so much for this wonderful comparison. I always enjoy your posts because you are always logical, of course because youare MATH man. What a differences in those two programs. It is a great example. Even Michelle's very rare "blah" program is totally different from Yuna's "blah" program at the Worlds. No matter how much she make mistakes, She never gives up until she finishes. I am sure she was always trained to compete even though her motivation was very low. I can not imagine she whould say "i did not want to comete at this competition and I did not practice for a while and so on." It shows her respect to skating, her fans and her competitiors. I really get offended when someone trys to compare Yuna with Michelle. Michelle is in a totally different fields in terms of her achievement, her respect to the sports , fans and fellow skaters. I do not think she ever made any excuses for her mistakes. She certainly never blamed someone obstructing her practice during her loooong skating carrier. When I look at these programs, I miss her more than ever. I used to look forward to Michelle's new programs, music costumes every season and Sasha's. Nowadays, there is not any skaters that exctite me to look forward to. (Well, Daisuke and Mirai is getting on my list noawadys) Sorry, I went off the topic.
    One good example of bashing Yuna by using Michelle.
    Not so elaborate...

Unfortunately(?)...Yuna respects Michelle most as a legendary skater & her own role model.
    And Michelle introduced Yuna as 'My Friend!' to the audience in a ice show in Seoul.
    Michelle's comments on Yuna on Worlds2009 by NBC will help you too.
    Last edited by yunaddiction; 03-31-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Lori Nichol was a genius at finding off-the-beaten track gems like this. Here is an artical describing everything that went into Michelle's 1996-97 program, "Taj Mahal," featuring music by little-known Azerbajian composer Fikrat Amirov.

http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories...hellekwan.html
    Well, since it has been brought up, I think her 1997 program was the weakest one she had between 1996 to 2004. It was really just a far less exciting version of Salome from the year before.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Fair enough - but all of these girls still try to skate like Janet Lynn. They study her tapes and try to express themselves the way she did. Well, maybe not Irina
    So before they have this "ultimate skating championship" I will already pick Janet.
    Besides - why settle for an imitation when you can have the original

Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 LastLast