Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko earns gold

It's a nice gift from his Russian fans. No problem. I think Slutskaya also got a similar gift after 2002 Olys,

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It doesn't really matter. Evan has the real Olympic gold and is probably laughing about the pathetic-ness of this.
    Plushenko has a real Olympic Gold medal as well.

And 2 real Olympic Silver medals.

Oops, your argument fails. Plushenko has accomplished way more.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    He is golden in people's heart. There is nothing wrong with it. People like to give it to him. It's their choice. I can't imagine any people would one day like to make a gold medal for Evan.
    That's because Evgeni, unlike Evan, is a figure skating legend. Plushy's top reign on the sport has been a LOT longer than Lysacek's 1 season of being on top. If Evgeni's fans wish to honor him by presenting him with a gold medal, it's their right to do so. The same with Kwan's fans and the platinum medal and the RUS federation presenting Slutskaya with a medal.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-27-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    That's because Evgeni, unlike Evan, is a figure skating legend. Plushy's top reign on the sport has been a LOT longer than Lysacek's 1 season of being on top. If Evgeni's fans wish to honor him by presenting him with a gold medal, it's their right to do so. The same with Kwan's fans and the platinum medal and the RUS federation presenting Slutskaya with a medal.
    Lysacek was World Champ last year, and Olympic Champ this year, so I count at least 2 seasons, heh :P

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Lysacek was World Champ last year, and Olympic Champ this year, so I count at least 2 seasons, heh :P
    Lysacek floundered through the entire 2009 season failing to win both of his Grand Prix meets (finishing 3rd in both), failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, failing to win the US championship (losing to Abbott and finishing 3rd) and failing to win 4CC (losing to Chan). This season he lost the US championship again to Abbott by 25 points. So, no, he clearly wasn't on top for 2 seasons by any stretch of the imagination.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Lysacek floundered through the entire 2009 season failing to win both of his Grand Prix meets (finishing 3rd in both), failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, failing to win the US championship (losing to Abbott and finishing 3rd) and failing to win 4CC (losing to Chan). This season he lost the US championship again to Abbott by 25 points. So, no, he clearly wasn't on top for 2 seasons by any stretch of the imagination.
    Fair enough. I think Lysacek's philsophy is a little different, he trains to "peak" at big stage competitions late in the season. Evan and Frank stated that the nationals this year wasn't really in their plans, although they did well in the GPF previously. It's hard for most skaters to have great skates in both programs for back to back competitions, they either run out of gas, get burntout, lose mental concentration, miscalculate physical preparation going in, etc. Also most start off a little slow for the season. Not everyone is a Plushenko where they can dominate like 10 straight regular season GP events, or never ever miss a beat.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    Whatever people may feel about Evgeni Plushenko, whether or not they like him, whether or not they agree with his placement in Vancouver, this gold is from his fans.He's not my favorite skater at all (I was rooting for Daisuke :D ), but I totally respect the gesture these people have done; they feel very strongly about him and wished to do this for him. It's not like he set this precedent. I think I've read elsewhere that Kurt Browning's fans did this sort of thing before? And also, Michelle Kwan's? Hate him or like him, this particular medal is given by people who love him, and I have to honor that.
    Yes, Browning got a fans' gold medal, too. I don't know about Michelle; someone else will have to confirm.

I think it's rather touching...I don't get all the demeaning comments about it.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I don't know about Michelle; someone else will have to confirm.
    Yes, the Michelle Kwan Forum organized a project to commission a special "fan's favorite" gold medal for Michelle, coupled with a substantial donation in Michelle's name to a charity.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    It's not like he asked for it or the federation is handing it out. They are just trying to support thier guy, nothing wrong with that in my book. It must take some of the pain off losing to know you have fans like that. Cute. As for Evan's fans not ever making him one...why would they? He has the real thing. Even if he did not win you know he would be ubber gracious about it so nobody would think of doing something like that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    It's not like he asked for it or the federation is handing it out. They are just trying to support thier guy, nothing wrong with that in my book. It must take some of the pain off losing to know you have fans like that. Cute. As for Evan's fans not ever making him one...why would they? He has the real thing. Even if he did not win you know he would be ubber gracious about it so nobody would think of doing something like that.
    Plushenko has a real Olympic gold medal too, just a gentle reminder. So you mean Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan were not ubber gracious?!:sheesh:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes, the Michelle Kwan Forum organized a project to commission a special "fan's favorite" gold medal for Michelle, coupled with a substantial donation in Michelle's name to a charity.
    As I recall, Michelle got a silver medal plated with platinum. Irina received, if my info is correct, a pure gold medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    You really think them presenting him with gold and platinum medals is about him not being "gracious" about losing? Considering how Kwan and others (who have been "gracious " about losing) have received similar gifts from fans purely due to their love for them, I think its safe to say that Plushy is receiving these gifts for the same reasons. I think people are suggesting that had Lysachek lost it would be unlikely that a group of fans would ban together to give him a special gold medal. The belief is he just doesn't have the kind of following that Plushy has.

Anyway, I think its great what Plushy's fans are doing. If they want to give him numerous platinum and gold medals to show their love for him and appreciation for his work I say more power to them.
    Last edited by Enero; 03-28-2010 at 09:03 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I didnt contributed to the gold medal, I saw the announcement on facebook but by then I had sold all my gold to go to Worlds.:sheesh: in any case I found it a bit too much but I like that people coordinated from different sources and managed to make it! I m curius how they organised it!
    So i decided next time I see him I ll give him instead a thank you hug and a gold kiss and if he doesnt like it, I dont care, I will

Tripping on the Podium
    I would have loved to give Johnny Weir a bronze covered gold medal. I think he should have won bronze. Saying that I do love DT

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy51 View Post
    I would have loved to give Johnny Weir a bronze covered gold medal. I think he should have won bronze. Saying that I do love DT
    Doesn't the less valuable metal usually go on the inside????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast