Thread: Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye

what i mean- is this . because U.S. didn't get 3 women for next years worlds, how will we (us) be seen internationally--will it hurt or help because they are young.
    because other us skaters we young in the past got three under 6.0's and with figures included
    so does age make a difference.
    or is it because they are young. or because other country skaters are older /caught up to U.S. in technqiue and style and personallity and jumps. us focus too much on artistry.
    or because U.S. bases most of it on artistry and (i perceive as lack of doing a jump correctly-like ur, prerotation, underotation, wrong edges on landing/takeoffs) where costly points are taken off.

does this lack of 13 hurt our potential for U.S. women skaters to get on top or on podium in future years and next year.
    rachel was 9th in free skate, mirai was 11th.
    or does the Us women skaters need to buckle down and fight during competition and clean jumps and work on attitude instead of just skating.

i apologize if this comes across wrong. but i am wondering about overall concept of american womens skating in future .
    because I as a fan assume /thought that the youngster, mirai, rachel, ashley, caroline zhang could and would get 3 women skaters. but apparently i am wrong-so now i am worried about the future of American Women figure skating.:sheesh::
    just might thought--like i stated i apologized if taken wrong way.

Custom Title
    What's next for the US that the 2 of the touted youngsters didn't get 3 spots for the US next year?!

Dooooom and despair! The end of the world is nigh! Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin!

On a more serious note, the US ladies are simply going through a transitional slump right now (e.g. like Russia in pairs). A few less-than-stellar seasons does not doom the entire future of American women's skating--look at the promise Mirai showed at the Olympics.

And this slump is based on the fact that the US "focuses too much on artistry"? Um, no.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    what i mean- is this . because U.S. didn't get 3 women for next years worlds, how will we (us) be seen internationally--will it hurt or help because they are young.
    because other us skaters we young in the past got three under 6.0's and with figures included
    or is it because they are young. or because other country skaters are older /caught up to U.S. in technqiue and style and personallity and jumps. us focus too much on artistry.
    or because U.S. bases most of it on artistry and (i perceive as lack of doing a jump correctly-like ur, prerotation, underotation, wrong edges on landing/takeoffs) where costly points are taken off.

does this lack of 13 hurt our potential for U.S. women skaters to get on top or on podium in future years and next year.
    or does the Us women skaters need to buckle down and fight during competition and clean jumps and work on attitude instead of just skating.

i apologize if this comes across wrong. but i am wondering about overall concept of american womens skating in future .
    because I as a fan assume /thought that the youngster, mirai, rachel, ashley, caroline zhang could and would get 3 women skaters. but apparently i am wrong-so now i am worried about the future of American Women figure skating.:sheesh::
    A lack of 3 spots sure hasn't stood in the way of Yu-Na Kim or Joannie Rochette. If the determination and strong training and strong will is there to improve and work toward being among the best in the world, it can happen. The drive has to be there to improve your technical weaknesses and mature and improve your presentation the way Kim and Rochette did to become the best!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    I thought such a post would be made. No worries. Mirai and her partner will get three back next year. I don't know why some fans are so obsessed with three spots though. Who cares as long as the one or two representatives skate well?

No need to cry doom and gloom! Things may have looked depressing after '09 Worlds, but I don't see how anyone could have anything less than an optimistic perspective for the US ladies right now. Yes, they "only" got two spots for next year, but consider the fact that Mirai was FIRST after the SP. She could have played it save the whole competition long and easily placed herself high enough to get three spots. But no, she went all out, got first in the SP and fought for a medal in the LP. She didn't make it, but I'd rather see a skater fight for it than skate safely. I.e. Rachel I thought was a little too safe and complacent, but at least Mirai went for it.

It's just a transition time, that's all. The US didn't have a veteran performer to go in and get the job done; instead they had two young ladies still in the learning phase. I've no doubt that the US can get three spots back sometime in the quad. They'll find a way back up.

Custom Title
    gymfan
    i am glad you thought mirai fought for it. because me and my friends didn't think so. she just skated and gave up after the fall.
    but to each his own.
    i am just thinking the american women might have to work harder next year to get 3 spots and make podium.
    thank you all for your opinion.
    i don't think it is doom and gloom-i just think the american women have to work harder for what they want and not just to expect it to fall in their lap even if they are 1st , 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or whatever placement--that is all. thank you again.
    just wondering what you all thought--thanks you just the same.

Custom Title
    I don't understand why people harp so much on the the 3 spots. Yes they're great to have because they give an additional young lady the opportunity to gain international experience, but it's not the be all to end all. It's not the end of the US ladies program if there aren't 3 spots. The US can't be "on top" and have 3 spots forever. This was bound to happen (the infamous 2 spots), and its happening now. The US ladies are just going to have get themselves together and earn back those 3 spots. Personally I think 2 spots are good for competition. It will make these ladies more hungry, more competitive. As a result, maybe we'll see some fire return to these ladies. Cause right now, I'm just not seeing it. I'm seeing cutsie tootsie and some "consistency" but no real fire. No one's really pushing each other, everyone's still falling all over the place and barely getting by. Perhaps what's happened here at worlds for both Rachel and Mirai will put some fire and competitiveness in all of them.

I can't wait to see.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post

Until you Fix the bad Caoching on the womens side get real Leadship Us Figure Skating Org. , and Put some one in Charge Like Marta did for Gymnastics Get that Figure head in charge of the program you will not see any American on top of the Podum period. Just look after BeJING in Diving got three Medals at Worlds. US Figure Skating needs some one to lead not some who know nothing about the sport of Figure Skating be President of US Skating. I would likie see Tara's or Sarah Former Coaches in charge help to devolop young Skaters into the next Tara, Kristy, or even better. I don't Blame Rachael Flatt nor Mirai don't anybody blmae them either they both weren't prepare for this one and other they were worn out from long season. We need to get rid of the bad Leadership in the US Figure Skating ORG.
    Last edited by ms9421; 03-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.