Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lack of the third spot is very unfortunate because there is a higher chance that skaters like Mirai and Rachel who have been more or less well received by the intl standard will not make it next year.

I'm fairly certain Mirai will be on the World team next year, as for the second spot, it will probably be Ashley or Rachael if she's competing, with the off-chance of Agnes or Christina making the team, but those two still have a ways to go before they are on par with Mirai.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Because she got undeserved scores. She's no where near the level they scored her. You don't consistently get crappy PCS score and suddenly improved by a quad worth at the Olympics. What is that? Frank Carroll magic?

Maybe she was consistently underscored before based upon start order and now that she's moved into the later group of start order, she's getting a more realistic PCS mark that reflects her skating? Maybe she HAS improved 10 points worth much in a short amount of time? Why is it undeserved in your opinion? I just don't get your ire towards this kid.

She has definitely improved a lot in the short period of time she's been working with Frank C., specifically from Cup of China where after her free program scores came up, she looked at Frank C and said tearfully "I just want to go home and practice skating my program" with the response from Frank "I want you to remember this conversation when we get home and I ask you to do a full run through". If she was skipping elements/not doing full run throughs/restarting on mistakes (which the rumor mill coming out of California suggested), she probably DID slow down noticeably later in her programs due to her training process (which contributed to her UR issues) which would tank her PCS score some. If she began doing as Frank C asked and as her role model did (Evan's penchant for full run throughs no matter his feelings/health/relationship status/etc) and she was doing full run throughs no matter what, then her PCS would go up because she was able to maintain her speed and flow throughout. After Skate Canada, she admitted that she was focused on the tech content and trying to appear older and more dramatic (which just made her look bored) which hurt her PCS mark there. It was only a few weeks after CoC and she was just getting into the swing of full run throughs. By Nationals, it was clear they had worked out the presentation side (girl scout flirty-smiley Carmen) and that she was much better trained to get through her programs and by the Olympics, she was even better trained. Why your conspiracy theories? Sheesh.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
A lot of maybes there. The chance of those maybes happened all together is 0. So Mirai is still overscored. I don't care for her skating. I don't think she's good. I don't think she's deserving of her placement. I find her act annoying.

Nigel

On the Ice
Three spots matter (eg. Sarah Hughes, Evan Lysacek). I was there watching live and the first thing I thought when Mirai's score came up was 'oh no; no 3 spots *again*'. Obviously I worry about it because of Ashley; if there had been 3 spots she would have been an Olympian and I would have finally seen her live which has been a dream since 2007. Doom and gloom for US Ladies figure skating? I don't know. I really don't think Rachael and Mirai are all that impressive; Rachael's jump technique looks absolutely awful in real life; Mirai I liked at the Olympics and in the Worlds SP but then I saw her at FS practice and now I know. The whole bubbly, happy, smiley thing is just an act. She has as much personality as Evan Lysacek and she and Frank Carroll spend more time in her practice session to work on the 'perfect smile when landing a jump' than on the actual jumps. Yes she probably made mistakes because of nerves + end of the season fatigue and yes she has nice spins, lines, spirals and she's lovely to watch. We'll have to wait and see.

So Rachael... I didn't really know she was considering retirement that much. But she really sounds like she wants to go to university full time. So in the icenetwork interview she sounded like she might defer university for 1 year but that would be the end of it. So I can't really see Rachael as the future of American figure skating; she clearly hoped to either win worlds or the Olympics before she was 18. Look at Joannie young girls; it takes a while before you become the best skater you can be.
Spent some time cruisin' thru Google images for jump photos. I am inclined to disagree with Trewyn re: Flatt's jump technique. If anything, she has classic air position. She just doesn't have the long skinny limbs of some of the other skaters. She picks properly, doesn't pre-rotate on edge jumps. Actually pretty good technique. She has cleaned up her flutz from last season, and her weakness is still the 3/3. She has trouble landing the 3F just right to get enough power for a nice 3T.

I have gone through about the first 8-10 pages of getty images...selected all the jumps/ air position photos I could find.

Used YuNa as the standard:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97032574/Sports-Illustrated
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97032538/Sports-Illustrated
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97081179/Getty-Images-Sport
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97081151/Getty-Images-Sport
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97081136/Getty-Images-Sport

Rachael Flatt
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/98070947/Getty-Images-Sport
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97377113/Sports-Illustrated
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97080609/Getty-Images-Sport
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97376945/Sports-Illustrated
or
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/97032483/Sports-Illustrated

Flatt has nicely crossed ankles, straightline /back/leg position. What surprised me was how sloppy YuNa's air position is in her jumps. :think:

I think the consistency in air position for Rachael helps explain her overall jump consistency.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
During a jump, YuNa definitely has more hang time than Rachael and can afford to have a more open air position.
Rachael's in air position is very consistent and very tight. She seems very efficient in the air. I do think, however, her shoulders may be a bit too rounded, but that may be more due to the general shape of her body. Otherwise, her in-air body line is quite consistent and gets the the job done.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
A lot of maybes there. The chance of those maybes happened all together is 0. So Mirai is still overscored. I don't care for her skating. I don't think she's good. I don't think she's deserving of her placement. I find her act annoying.

What 'act'??

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The cutesie smiley act she put on every single time. She has absolutely no connection to the music she's skating to. The SP and LP this year are about the same. She could do her LP to last year music, the year before that, and the year before that.
Her interpretation should be 3 or 2. I don't buy her Carmen at all. It's the worst Carmen on ice. It's like Miley Cyrus giggling and reciting "No. First I tried to free them. I... I opened the gate to their pen, but they wouldn't run. They just stood there, confused. They wouldn't run."

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
The cutesie smiley act she put on every single time. She has absolutely no connection to the music she's skating to. The SP and LP this year are about the same. She could do her LP to last year music, the year before that, and the year before that.
Her interpretation should be 3 or 2. I don't buy her Carmen at all. It's the worst Carmen on ice. It's like Miley Cyrus giggling and reciting "No. First I tried to free them. I... I opened the gate to their pen, but they wouldn't run. They just stood there, confused. They wouldn't run."

Whoa someone's bitter about her girl not placing well!

skatemom1122

Final Flight

Oh my gosh! You better be happy Rachael "Flat" Flatt won her title, because with Mirai now rotating her jumps, she will never see gold again! Mirai is a lovely skater. At least she shows SOME expression, smile or not, during her performances. Her spins are, in my opinion, the finest in the world, compared to Rachael Flatt' s who are arguably, the worst of the top 24 ladies. Her spirals are mediocre and so is her overall artistry. Rachael can only jump, and when those evade her, for example, at worlds, she has nothing to lean back upon. Mirai's jumps, when landed, of course, have better air position, height, and flow out, her spirals are far better, and, as aforementioned, her spins embarrass Flatt's spins. I think it was obvious who the commentators and the crowd thought should have won at nationals, and even the internationals judges now regard her as one of the best in the world. As for the "worst Carmen on ice," I would love to see Rachael even attempt it. Actually, I wouldn't. She's already ruined Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and Sing Sing Sing, with her expressionless, posture-less, mess! Have you EVER heard of objectivity? All you ever do is gush over your little princess Rachael Flatt, never taking into account other skaters. Its as though you are blinded by your obsession with her. You need to realize that as talented as Rachael is, there are many who are far better than her.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Oh my gosh! You better be happy Rachael "Flat" Flatt won her title, because with Mirai now rotating her jumps, she will never see gold again! Mirai is a lovely skater. At least she shows SOME expression, smile or not, during her performances. Her spins are, in my opinion, the finest in the world, compared to Rachael Flatt' s who are arguably, the worst of the top 24 ladies. Her spirals are mediocre and so is her overall artistry. Rachael can only jump, and when those evade her, for example, at worlds, she has nothing to lean back upon. Mirai's jumps, when landed, of course, have better air position, height, and flow out, her spirals are far better, and, as aforementioned, her spins embarrass Flatt's spins. I think it was obvious who the commentators and the crowd thought should have won at nationals, and even the internationals judges now regard her as one of the best in the world. As for the "worst Carmen on ice," I would love to see Rachael even attempt it. Actually, I wouldn't. She's already ruined Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and Sing Sing Sing, with her expressionless, posture-less, mess! Have you EVER heard of objectivity? All you ever do is gush over your little princess Rachael Flatt, never taking into account other skaters. Its as though you are blinded by your obsession with her. You need to realize that as talented as Rachael is, there are many who are far better than her.

Have you?
So Rachael ruined Rhapsody and Sing Sing Sing? Are you sure you're a skatemom because your post suggests otherwise. Oh well, it would be a cute post by a 12yo. Coming from a mom, total embarrassment. :laugh:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Have you?
So Rachael ruined Rhapsody and Sing Sing Sing? Are you sure you're a skatemom because your post suggests otherwise. Oh well, it would be a cute post by a 12yo. Coming from a mom, total embarrassment. :laugh:

Nope. You're embarrassing yourself. Competition after competition you deny everyone but your idol, Rachael Flatt. You commented on another thread that Mirai Nagasu landed 0 triples at US Nationals. You're in complete denial if you think that's the truth. I don't take back anything I said..Rachael needs to work on speed,posture, emotion, and projection, as well as her spinning, in particular, her truly cringe worthy layback, if she wants to improve her ranking internationally. In all honesty, I know pre-juvenile level skaters with better spin positions. The US judges might be buying it, but the ISU certainly isn't.

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
Flatt competes with bulging discs....her layback used to be quite good...research photos of her from her Novice season, prior to her injury. Since the injury, she is unable to do level 3 or 4 laybacks...
not that I am commenting on other aspects of her skating. But, to be quite fair, she has competed with back issues for 4 seasons.....i know that my husband has two bulging discs from years of running marathons...and there are some days when he can barely bend over to tie his running shoes....LOL!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
skatemom, you actually thought Flatt ruined "Sing, Sing, Sing?" I think that might be one of my favourite short programs of the season - the step sequence never fails to get me smiling with it's flapper, flirty charm.

RockTheTassel

Rinkside

I don't agree with Flattfan either, but there's no need to completely trash Rachael. Yes, her skating has flaws, but saying she "ruined" certain music, calling her a mess, and joyfully claiming that she'll never see gold again? That's just nasty. If you want to criticize her skating, be constructive and fair, not obnoxious and petty.

While Rachael isn't the best skater ever, I also enjoyed her short program quite a bit this year. I love the step sequence and how she really got into the music and spirit of the program during it.

Last edited: