View Poll Results: Who should have taken the bronze medal?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Laura Lepisto?

58 21.32%
  • Carolina Kostner?

36 13.24%
  • Cynthia Phaneuf?

53 19.49%
  • Miki Ando?

107 39.34%
  • Other

18 6.62%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who should have taken the bronze on the ladies event?

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm sad that Mao didnt get any attention from the media, commentators, etc.
    She has been treated as a bridesmaid since 2008.
    But im happy she won.~~

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._FS_Scores.pdf

Mao won TES over Yuna, but Yuna's PCS beat Mao's.
    Exactly my point I would probably reversed that result. How can someone gets such high PE marks when she is literally walked around the ice for a good few seconds like a "deer in the light" looking for exit after that fall

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't have a problem with Laura, one of my favorite skaters and a wonderful dancer. Miki Ando got close. But, Laura can sit pretty with the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    according to herself... Tara Lipinski.
    Nice one...

According to this article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news, Laura's placement ahead of Miki was controversial.

Lepisto opened her free skate with a strong triple toe-triple toe combination, followed by a triple Lutz, but doubled two attempted triple loops and a triple Salchow. Still, in what is sure to be a controversial decision, she beat out Japan's Miki Ando by 0.80 for third place.

On the Ice
    It have to be Miki. I just feel bad for her :(

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Totally irrelevant, but did someone hack this account or something? I could've sworn this poster did not write like this (gramatically, too!) in the very beginning.
    Exactly what I thought!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Yu-na should have won bronze.

Podium:
    Mao
    Carolina
    Yu-na

On the Ice
    Lepisto deserved the bronze.....in 1984. She did about as many double jumps as that time period. Miki should have gotten the bronze today. Kostner was overscored as she usually is. I guess they were determined to have a European on the podium. Unfortunately, the best European today was American......Makarova of Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by Toby1Dawg View Post
    Unfortunately, the best European today was American......Makarova of Russia!
    Whaaaat?

Rinkside
    I just have to say something.. isn't there also so much more in skating than the number of triples? You all say "because she just did three"!!! Well, doesn't Laura have very good spins snd everything else? Doesn't that count nothing? And yes I am from Finland but so what, I am just so mad from what I have read here. So what if Miki Ando was better in the free program? Laura was better in short, both or counts!! I am really happy for Laura, she is a sweer girll who REALLY deserved this bronze. It is also huge for finnish figure skating, because she is the first lady to get a world champ medal ever for Finland. You should also go to see her interview in Youtube where she is crying. That shows how much this medal meant to her!!! So YES, she DESERVED this medal!!!

Rinkside
    I also thought Makarova was technically the best Euro skater here. I wonder if the judges would have dare to put her in third if she did not pop that last jump?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by riardo View Post
    I also thought Makarova was technically the best Euro skater here. I wonder if the judges would have dare to put her in third if she did not pop that last jump?
    Makarova had good jumps (mostly), but her choreography was awful, resembling a Plushenko freeskate. Jumps were totally frontloaded and other stuff was not really impressive, at least not yet. She is a skater in progress and seems to be the best among Russian skaters.

I voted for Laura, because in my opinion she deserved the bronze in this competition where several skaters were not even close skating their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I just have to say something.. isn't there also so much more in skating than the number of triples? You all say "because she just did three"!!! Well, doesn't Laura have very good spins snd everything else? Doesn't that count nothing? And yes I am from Finland but so what, I am just so mad from what I have read here. So what if Miki Ando was better in the free program? Laura was better in short, both or counts!! I am really happy for Laura, she is a sweer girll who REALLY deserved this bronze. It is also huge for finnish figure skating, because she is the first lady to get a world champ medal ever for Finland. You should also go to see her interview in Youtube where she is crying. That shows how much this medal meant to her!!! So YES, she DESERVED this medal!!!
    Yes, there is more to skating than jumping, but it doesn't mean that jumping should be discounted. I don't want to be a party pooper but you make it sound like just because she was crying tears of joy she deserved to win the bronze medal which is ... well, stupid.

Now, I think it could have went either way, really, because Miki Ando was 11th after the SP and Laura had a much bigger lead over Miki. However, saying that Laura was simply "better in the short" as the reason why she deserved the medal is completely foolish.

With that said, Laura, congratulations on the bronze medal, but do improve next season.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Makarova had good jumps (mostly), but her choreography was awful, resembling a Plushenko freeskate. Jumps were totally frontloaded and other stuff was not really impressive, at least not yet. She is a skater in progress and seems to be the best among Russian skaters.

I voted for Laura, because in my opinion she deserved the bronze in this competition where several skaters were not even close skating their best.
    I am not really claiming that Makarova should have won but I am also not sure what so great about Lepisto choreographically? I mean she is OK but is it enough to get on the podium with only 3 triple jumps????? This is very discouraging trend.:(

Custom Title
    I voted for Carolina Kostner. I also think that Miki desereved the bronze more than Laura, but her SP wasn't good... As for Laura, I really can't understand why the judges like her so much. She has really great posture, choreography, her programs are good (but not the best), but I don't think it's enough. Carolina's posture, choreography, etc. are as good as Laura's or maybe even better.

As for Ksenia, I'm glad for her, she did really well. I like her posture, her lines, her spins are fast and difficult, and I think she will be really strong next year! As well as Alena, who was sick and couldn't train after Olympics.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast