Who should have taken the bronze on the ladies event? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who should have taken the bronze on the ladies event?

Who should have taken the bronze medal?

• Total voters

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Lepisto deserved the bronze.....in 1984. She did about as many double jumps as that time period. Miki should have gotten the bronze today. Kostner was overscored as she usually is. I guess they were determined to have a European on the podium. Unfortunately, the best European today was American......Makarova of Russia!

Trixie

Spectator
I just have to say something.. isn't there also so much more in skating than the number of triples? You all say "because she just did three"!!! Well, doesn't Laura have very good spins snd everything else? Doesn't that count nothing? And yes I am from Finland but so what, I am just so mad from what I have read here. So what if Miki Ando was better in the free program? Laura was better in short, both or counts!! I am really happy for Laura, she is a sweer girll who REALLY deserved this bronze. It is also huge for finnish figure skating, because she is the first lady to get a world champ medal ever for Finland. You should also go to see her interview in Youtube where she is crying. That shows how much this medal meant to her!!! So YES, she DESERVED this medal!!!

riardo

Rinkside
I also thought Makarova was technically the best Euro skater here. I wonder if the judges would have dare to put her in third if she did not pop that last jump?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I also thought Makarova was technically the best Euro skater here. I wonder if the judges would have dare to put her in third if she did not pop that last jump?

Makarova had good jumps (mostly), but her choreography was awful, resembling a Plushenko freeskate. Jumps were totally frontloaded and other stuff was not really impressive, at least not yet. She is a skater in progress and seems to be the best among Russian skaters.

I voted for Laura, because in my opinion she deserved the bronze in this competition where several skaters were not even close skating their best.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I just have to say something.. isn't there also so much more in skating than the number of triples? You all say "because she just did three"!!! Well, doesn't Laura have very good spins snd everything else? Doesn't that count nothing? And yes I am from Finland but so what, I am just so mad from what I have read here. So what if Miki Ando was better in the free program? Laura was better in short, both or counts!! I am really happy for Laura, she is a sweer girll who REALLY deserved this bronze. It is also huge for finnish figure skating, because she is the first lady to get a world champ medal ever for Finland. You should also go to see her interview in Youtube where she is crying. That shows how much this medal meant to her!!! So YES, she DESERVED this medal!!!

Yes, there is more to skating than jumping, but it doesn't mean that jumping should be discounted. I don't want to be a party pooper but you make it sound like just because she was crying tears of joy she deserved to win the bronze medal which is ... well, stupid.

Now, I think it could have went either way, really, because Miki Ando was 11th after the SP and Laura had a much bigger lead over Miki. However, saying that Laura was simply "better in the short" as the reason why she deserved the medal is completely foolish.

With that said, Laura, congratulations on the bronze medal, but do improve next season.

riardo

Rinkside
Makarova had good jumps (mostly), but her choreography was awful, resembling a Plushenko freeskate. Jumps were totally frontloaded and other stuff was not really impressive, at least not yet. She is a skater in progress and seems to be the best among Russian skaters.

I voted for Laura, because in my opinion she deserved the bronze in this competition where several skaters were not even close skating their best.

I am not really claiming that Makarova should have won but I am also not sure what so great about Lepisto choreographically? I mean she is OK but is it enough to get on the podium with only 3 triple jumps????? This is very discouraging trend.:(

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I voted for Carolina Kostner. I also think that Miki desereved the bronze more than Laura, but her SP wasn't good... As for Laura, I really can't understand why the judges like her so much. She has really great posture, choreography, her programs are good (but not the best), but I don't think it's enough. Carolina's posture, choreography, etc. are as good as Laura's or maybe even better.

As for Ksenia, I'm glad for her, she did really well. I like her posture, her lines, her spins are fast and difficult, and I think she will be really strong next year! As well as Alena, who was sick and couldn't train after Olympics.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I said Cynthia, her both programmes had the best balance. I did not vote Miki, because medalist should have 2 programs good enough, her SP wasn't worth of medal. If had the old system based in placemets with scores given in this competition, Carolina would have taken the bronze, if I counted right.

figuristka

Medalist
I choose Cynthia, she had a good short and very good Free program, miki's Free should have been slightly ahead but Cynthia overall, over both Miki and Laura. If on, Laura is the best skater, but her free was not that strong this competition.

viv

On the Ice
I voted for Miki because I loved her LP, but Laura winning doesn't bother me als I love her interpretation and feeling for the music. Miki, Laura and Carolina were just so close today. Phaneuf was technically strong but has zero presentation. And - not that it counts here, but nevertheless - her costume was awful. It looked like she had the towel from her hotelroom around her hips.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Ando landed more jumps, but Lepisto was better in every other aspects.
Even in jumps, Lepisto had an edge in quality of jumps she managed to land.
Her 3T-3T was a firecracker, one of the best I've ever seen. :thumbsup:
We also have to consider that Lepisto is fecking hot and Ando is coached by Morozov. BLAH

I was pulling for Kostner, but it seemed that Europeans have pretty much given up on her.
Cynthia skated beautifully, but everyone including even herself is not used to seeing her on the podium.
Figure Skating is a conservative sport, and it just didn't happen this time, but she will have good chances next season if she keeps it up.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Ando landed more jumps, but Lepisto was better in every other aspects.
Even in jumps, Lepisto had an edge in quality of jumps she managed to land.

So because Laura had one great jumping pass, that ignores the fact that the rest of the jumps don't compare even a little bit to the jumps Miki put out there. I mean even Laura's triple lutz was shaky (to say the least). So what if Laura came a quality double salchow? As Johnny Weir nicely put it there are US girls at the intermediate level who are doing jumps like double loop/double toe. I'm sorry but its really not impressive that Laura an execute doubles quality.

And yes, Laura has better spins and spirals than Miki. But Laura isn't exactly Lucinda Ruh. She's not doing the fastest most creative spins ever. And she's not doing level four footwork either. Ando's spins and spirals may not have been as quality as Laura's, but Ando executed cleanly level 4 spins, level 4 spirals, AND level 3 footwork. While also doing difficult jumps. And Ando has good basic skating skills.

Yes, Laura has choregraphy and interpertation. But its easy to have hard choregraphy and good interpertation when your not trying to think about executing triple jumps. The idea that people can't seem to understand this....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
We can understand this. My question then becomes are you judging Laura, Miki et al by ISU standards (in which case than yes, I think her bronze is deserved) or what you believe that the standards should be. To me, the most convincing argument is for Cynthia Phaneuf, who was probably underscored in PCS in both the short and the long (maybe). I can't deny that I don't think Miki's a great skater, though, and I hate her programs. Except her (Phaneuf's) non-jump elements were easy, and it's not like she did the hardest jumps (no flip, one lutz).

Additionally, why is it that fans of the harder jumps always dismiss other components of figure skating? That's something I can't understand. You see that time and time again and it genuinely befuddles me. Especially in this competition, when no one really displayed the full package of figure skating (those that did - Takahashi, V/M - won). For the third time in four seasons, the champion didn't win either segment (Ando was second to Kim and Asada in SP/LP, Asada second to Kostner and Kim).

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
We can understand this. My question then becomes are you judging Laura, Miki et al by ISU standards (in which case than yes, I think her bronze is deserved) or what you believe that the standards should be. To me, the most convincing argument is for Cynthia Phaneuf, who was probably underscored in PCS in both the short and the long (maybe). I can't deny that I don't think Miki's a great skater, though, and I hate her programs. Except her (Phaneuf's) non-jump elements were easy, and it's not like she did the hardest jumps (no flip, one lutz).

Additionally, why is it that fans of the harder jumps always dismiss other components of figure skating? That's something I can't understand. You see that time and time again and it genuinely befuddles me. Especially in this competition, when no one really displayed the full package of figure skating (those that did - Takahashi, V/M - won). For the third time in four seasons, the champion didn't win either segment (Ando was second to Kim and Asada in SP/LP, Asada second to Kostner and Kim).

Are you suggesting that Mao shouldn't have won over Costner in the SP in 2008? Sorry, that is still something I haven't gotten even til now.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Because we don't think that Laura's spins and spirals were sooo wonderful that they should have ignored the fact that her program was a heck of a lot easier than the other girls. (By quite a bit) This is suppose to be a sport and the jumps are over half of the elements that are judged. So when someone performs really poor jumping content and loses to people who executed high level jumps and high level spins and spirals, its annoying to say the least.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No. I just thought it was indicative of how flawed the skating was (though I have no problem with Kostner's 0.18 lead over Asada in the 2008 SP). When you have a comfortable, decisive victory, the winner wins at least one portion of the competition (hopefully the long - a remnant of 6.0, admittedly). When the competition is all over the place, you get a result like here.

Lets use Skate America from this season as an example. How often is it that a skater doesn't place top three in either segment but comes second overall? That's what happened to Sawyer. Was it a fair victory? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Was it satisfying? Mroz, Verner and Bradley bombed at least one phase of the competition, Amodio underperformed the LP (though I still adored it), so no, not really.

Did Lepisto earn her victory, playing by ISU rules? Yes. Was it entirely satisfying? No. Not just because she was underwhelming, but because Nagasu bombed the LP, Suzuki bombed the SP, Ando was uninspiring (as usual), etc etc.

Because we don't think that Laura's spins and spirals were sooo wonderful that they should have ignored the fact that her program was a heck of a lot easier than the other girls. (By quite a bit) This is suppose to be a sport and the jumps are over half of the elements that are judged. So when someone performs really poor jumping content and loses to people who executed high level jumps and high level spins and spirals, its annoying to say the least.

Okay, can you check out the LP and SP protocols for both and tell me where you feel the judges erred? Or do you feel it was the system? Or both? But frankly, when you say "well, it's easy to have choreography and interpretation w/out concentrating on harder triples" I wonder if you feel if the reverse is true, and if someone should be dismissed summarily based on that. Also, Ando had level two footwork and one level two spin in the LP. If she had level three on either, she would've won bronze.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I mean she is OK but is it enough to get on the podium with only 3 triple jumps????? This is very discouraging trend.:(

To be fair Laura did 3 triples with + GOE on each in her SP.
Miki did one downgraded lutz and one flip with -GOE in her SP.

Six clean triples in SP + FS for both then :laugh:

If Miki had won brons or silver why not say:

"How could Miki win a medal with that disastrous SP and no 3/3 combination."

Anyway they were very close, could easily have gone the other way.

Of course it is a problem that you can win brons with 6 triple jumps overall, but IMO the problem lies in ladies' FS; Very weak field except for a few skaters.