Who should have taken the bronze on the ladies event? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who should have taken the bronze on the ladies event?

Who should have taken the bronze medal?

• Total voters

enoh

Rinkside
I voted for Cynthia. After watching Laura, Miki, and Cynthia the one element for me that put Cynthia higher was the Spiral Sequence. For some reason Cynthia only received a level 2 on her's while the other 2 got level 4 and I did not see any difference beween the 3! Therefore if Cynthia had received level 4 (which is usually is) like the other 2 did she would have been at least 1.5 points higher and she would have won the bronze.
I also find if so funny that most of the American posters do not even consider Cynthia for the bronze.

Don't worry, Cynthia definitely earned attention. She will collect these deferred points next time, just as Mirai and Laura did in worlds. You find what you seek. Next time, people will seek that level 4 spiral from her. Actors don't make money from their first blockbuster, you know.

enoh

Rinkside
Do not believe you own eyes too much.:biggrin: If you watch the flip by slow-mo, you will see why it should not be UR.
If the slow-mo cannot help you, well....any oculist will help you.

I'm pretty sure Yuna shudders every time when she hears anything about that short. Are you addicted to see that Yuna? :sheesh:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Lay perspectives

My Dad says that Lepisto was very good and her performance reminds him of Witt and adored this beautiful Finnish lady. He knows nothing about FS, but has some unbiased honesty. He finds Yuna overmarked perhaps because he can't tell how important big jumps may be. He does see that Laura's doubles are not as high as triples (of course, not). But I think that he has the point. Apart from big jumps, he thinks that they are comparable. Laura is really fast and has great basics, beautiful, fast spins, steps, and artistry. I myself am happy with Laura's PCS. I recall thinking that her PCS was so undermarked at NHK.
My parents also say that Mao has high jumps, but my mom realizes that her jumps do not have much flow. Yet, they are not so sure how this has to make a big difference in scores.

My dad also kept saying at Oly and Worlds that miki should have medalled because of the clean LP.

Re Mki, some ppl seem to think that she's been lacking spark throughut the season, whereas others think that she did her best in terms of artistry. I hope that she can combine the previous speed and the newly found attention to details next season. I personally could not get why she did not receive more reputation scores in PCS despite Bronze at Worlds and good showing in GP series compared to disasterous ones of Rochette and Mao.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Re Mki, some ppl seem to think that she's been lacking spark throughut the season, whereas others think that she did her best in terms of artistry. I hope that she can combine the previous speed and the newly found attention to details next season. I personally could not get why she did not receive more reputation scores in PCS despite Bronze at Worlds and good showing in GP series compared to disasterous ones of Rochette and Mao.

In 2009 worlds, they'd already decided that Rochette would medal. Miki just got lucky to edge pass Mao.
In 2010, Miki wasn't good throughout the GP series. She scored in the low 160s and won both of her events. She progressed but at a much slower pace compare to Mao.
Miki is just too slow and too awkward and has absolutely no connection to the music, the audience. Even when she landed her jumps, they looked slow, labored, and always short of rotation. She was lucky to get 4th place.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Actually, I think Lepisto deserved silver, and Kostner bronze. But there was no way the judges would keep Kim off the podium. I don't know what everyone sees in her...... I think she's the most overscored skater ever......

youtubo

Rinkside
Actually, I think Lepisto deserved silver, and Kostner bronze. But there was no way the judges would keep Kim off the podium. I don't know what everyone sees in her...... I think she's the most overscored skater ever......
How about a gold for Lepisto/Kostner?

Bennett

Record Breaker

As I think of former champions such as Mao, Shizuka, Irina, Michelle, Oksana, or Lu Chen, I must say that any of them wouldn't have been able to have a podium finish had they made the kinds of mistakes she did both in SP and LP. Is that because of Yuna's more great than any of the champs, because of the way the COP is sturecured, or because judges were generous as you suggest?

Basics

On the Ice
As I think of former champions such as Mao, Shizuka, Irina, Michelle, Oksana, or Lu Chen, I must say that any of them wouldn't have been able to have a podium finish had they made the kinds of mistakes she did both in SP and LP. Is that because of Yuna's more great than any of the champs, because of the way the COP is sturecured, or because judges were generous as you suggest?

ok. then who should have taken the silver?

Laura with three triples? No. Carolina with all shaky and cautious jumps? No. Miki with barely rotated jumps and no connection to the audience what so ever? No.

So Yuna's one pop, one fall LP is such a big deal.? yeah, her SP was very diappointing, and she might have been overmarked with PCS but the gap between her and other skaters was just too big to make up for.

miki88

Medalist

Well, it does seem a bit strange, but considering how others skated as well, she does deserve to be on the podium. It could also be due to the COP, because under 6.0, judges valued clean performances much more than now, so that's why mistakes such as falls seemed so costly back then.

Bennett

Record Breaker
You guys have the point. But Miki's only major mistake was the missed combo in SP and otherwise performed well overall, for example. Yuna had major flaws in flip, spin, spiral, and steps in SP and a fall and a single axel in LP. She was visibly tired and slow in the latter half. Tara pointed out about the way she got up from the fall and Johnny Weir said that she was hating to be there. Are these two skaters that different to make up for these?

Basics

On the Ice
You guys have the point. But Miki's only major mistake was the missed combo in SP and otherwise performed well overall, for example. Yuna had major flaws in flip, spin, spiral, and steps in SP and a fall and a single axel in LP. She was visibly tired and slow in the latter half. Tara pointed out about the way she got up from the fall and Johnny Weir said that she was hating to be there. Are these two skaters that different to make up for these?

If you look at Miki's toe jumps, especially Lutz, those are barely rotated. I think she was lucky not to be called DG on those, even at the Olympics. BTW, Yuna did not have a major flaw on flip. The landing was not smooth but it should've been ratified, considering her clean take-off (no pre-rotation). Plus, it was right on the borderline so the benefit of doubt should went to the skater. If you compare her Sp flip with Mao's Lp second flip, you can realize that was really an unfair call.

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
ok. then who should have taken the silver?

Miki with barely rotated jumps and no connection to the audience what so ever? .

So Yuna's one pop, one fall LP is such a big deal.? yeah, her SP was very diappointing, and she might have been overmarked with PCS but the gap between her and other skaters was just too big to make up for.

Since when is "connection with the audience" part of the COP, or over podium placement requirement. What is the definition of audience connection? Definitely not some fake pistol pointing as part of the choreography. Definitely not some winking or wiggle of the hip. Obviously super fans will "connect" with their favorites.

Anyway topic is about who should have won the bronze, I vote for Miki. I don't debate the silver medal under COP, but it was a very sloppy, no energy performance. Evidetnly Tara and JW who were there were very unimpressed too.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Since when is "connection with the audience" part of the COP, or over podium placement requirement. What is the definition of audience connection? Definitely not some fake pistol pointing as part of the choreography. Definitely not some winking or wiggle of the hip. Obviously super fans will "connect" with their favorites.

Anyway topic is about who should have won the bronze, I vote for Miki. I don't debate the silver medal under COP, but it was a very sloppy, no energy performance. Evidetnly Tara and JW who were there were very unimpressed too.

lol Well i certaily don't expect any nice comment from you about Yuna but everybody knows Yuna connects very well with the audience and her presence is quite amazing on the ice. Those little moments that she takes really sucks you right in to her performance (said by Kristi Yamaguchii) and

her ability to use her face (Kurt Browning said her face is the key lol) and really communicate with the audiance is what really makes her special.

Anyways, Miki really screwed up her sp so she was just too far behind to take the medal. Also she's really trying to express herself this season but it was a bit overkill and too obvious.

Also, her expression is really on and off during the performance because she's really into it before the spiral sequence but then it's completely gone sometimes and she looks disconnected to the music.

It really didn't get the positive response from the judges and certianly not from the commentators.

It is a dog fight for the bronze really and I think it was all up to the judges and they did exactly that.

rtureck

Final Flight
lol Well i certaily don't expect any nice comment from you about Yuna but everybody knows Yuna connects very well with the audience and her presence is quite amazing on the ice. Those little moments that she takes really sucks you right in to her performance (said by Kristi Yamaguchii) and

Huh everybody? not even every body here at GS thinks so. Maybe everyone at kynville. Anyway, how does falling on her buttocks at 3sal a connection moment with the audience? (bar the kyn fans of course). But of course I don't expect you to see it because it is in your job description to drool about everything kyn does.

I am sure Browning and Kristi are not talking about moments of kyn falling and zamboning the ice

Anyways, Miki really screwed up her sp so she was just too far behind to take the medal. Also she's really trying to express herself this season but it was a bit overkill and too obvious.
Overkill this season or not is not the issue. This thread is about who should have won the bronze, and the poll result? Miki!!:cool:

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Phaneuf for sure. Ando is one of the most overscores skaters out there and almost always gets higher PCS than what she should.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

You obviously forget Kwan at the 1999 Worlds and Kwan at the 1997 Grand Prix final. As for the others yeah probably not but none of those are the dominant skaters of their generation like Kwan and Kim are.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In 2009 worlds, they'd already decided that Rochette would medal. Miki just got lucky to edge pass Mao.
In 2010, Miki wasn't good throughout the GP series. She scored in the low 160s and won both of her events. She progressed but at a much slower pace compare to Mao.
Miki is just too slow and too awkward and has absolutely no connection to the music, the audience. Even when she landed her jumps, they looked slow, labored, and always short of rotation. She was lucky to get 4th place.

Miki's LP at 2009 worlds was the best I've ever seen her skate. She was fast, she was expressive, she hit the jumps. She deserved the bronze and maybe even the silver b/c her SP was good too.

Also, both Tara and Johnny thought Miki should have won bronze at this year's Worlds. Plus, the Canadian commentators thought her LP at '10 Worlds was one of the best she's ever skated in her career http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z80la1ON0 . I agree that at the Olympics she was slow and cautious, but I actually thought her LP at Worlds was quite good.

Also, too high PCS? Miki only got 58 and change for her PCS in the LP at Worlds, which isn't even that high, especially considering she had a clean performance. Plus her skating skills are top notch, her transitions and choreograpy very good, I admit she's not so hot in the interpretation category, but that's only one small portion of the component score.

Further, anyone who thinks Miki is bad or whatever, should see her in practice. She's amazing - fast, huge jumps, confident. Her exhibition pieces are also fab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJSaRLk49Y I love this program of hers to death and the British Eurosport guys seem to too :)