Thank You, Universal Sports! | Golden Skate

Thank You, Universal Sports!

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I thought US did an EXCELLENT job overall with their coverage. Very good online feed and the TV coverage was also great. Loved "The Loft" interviews with Johnny and Tara. Very pleasantly surprised...I can only hope this continues for other competitions in the future! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I thought US did an EXCELLENT job overall with their coverage. Very good online feed and the TV coverage was also great. Loved "The Loft" interviews with Johnny and Tara. Very pleasantly surprised...I can only hope this continues for other competitions in the future! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ditto! :agree:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Universal Sports!! :love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree! Thank goodness I live in a city that carries the network in a cable package though. It would be wonderful if all American households could have access to this channel and the wonderful coverage they provide. Thank you, Universal Sports! :love:

ks777

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed their coverage as well! I am so glad that I don't have to wait for a week to watch it like on ABC/ESPN.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I'm a lurker, but I just want to give my thanks to Universal Sports because I really did enjoy the coverage!
Peter Carruthers is so cute with all his Wows and Awesomes. hehe.
I really enjoyed hearing Tara and Johnny's perspective on things(especially Johnny's.) I feel like we got a real insiders look at the competition.

*back to lurking*

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great job by Universal. I don't get the television channel but the live streaming was great.
Will the Gala be shown on Universal?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
As much as it pains me to say this ('cause I'm a hardcore MK fan), Tara is a much much much better commentator than Michelle is. Now that I've gotten that out of the way ...

I was pleasantly surprised by how good Tara's insights are into each program and calling jumps. I loved the "couch commentary" by Peter, Tara, and Johnny. I hope they do this again next season (unless Johnny's competing) because IMO they're soooooo much better than Scott and Sandra. Tara's grown up to be a very pretty lady. :)

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Gimmie Johnnny & Tara over Scott & Sandra any day! While Peter's still a little cheesy, he can be the new Terry.

Also loved Tan & Ben!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Major ditto. I have a whole new respect for Tara and especially Johnny, who isnt afraid to point out "political downgrading" and scoring.....

CassAgain

On the Ice
Fantastic job, Universal Sports. Wish we actually got the channel, but the web coverage was first rate. Loved all the experts in the booth and on the panel.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Major ditto. I have a whole new respect for Tara and especially Johnny, who isnt afraid to point out "political downgrading" and scoring.....

Johnny said both downgraded 3F Rachael received looked fine. He was at the Olympics looking at the slowmo replay. And then he mentioned political downgrading. Poor Rachael.
Her PCS at Worlds also suffered. 53? She made one mistake on the second lutz and it didn't really affect the whole performance. Yet, her PCS went down to the level of some junior skaters.
Yuna 2010 is the Carolina Kostner of 2008. Full of mistakes, yet gifted with PCS. How on earth did that LP beat Mao Asada LP is beyond me. 67+ PCS for a fall, a pop, and uninspiring and slow skate. Whatever.
Political judging is absolutely terrible.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Johnny said both downgraded 3F Rachael received looked fine. He was at the Olympics looking at the slowmo replay. And then he mentioned political downgrading. Poor Rachael.
Her PCS at Worlds also suffered. 53? She made one mistake on the second lutz and it didn't really affect the whole performance. Yet, her PCS went down to the level of some junior skaters.
Yuna 2010 is the Carolina Kostner of 2008. Full of mistakes, yet gifted with PCS. How on earth did that LP beat Mao Asada LP is beyond me. 67+ PCS for a fall, a pop, and uninspiring and slow skate. Whatever.

Sorry to say this, but I thought Flatt's PCS was just fine.
She needs to improve her speed, posture, and overall presentation.
She should be no where near Mirai in terms of PCS as of now.

KYN made 2 mistakes and scored 130, and she made 2 mistakes and scored 131 last year in LA.
She was slower than her performance in Olys, but way faster and more inspiring than Asada's mediocre program IMO.
Asada would have won the FS still if she had managed to rotate all her jumps.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are thankful to get Universal Sports on TV. I wish everyone could get it. I hope that the full competitions will stay up online for quite a while so we can "catch up" on performances that didn't make it on the TV broadcast.

Does anyone know if the Gala will be shown on TV or at least online?

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Maybe the judges just hate how she skates. *shrugs* But I'd rather not get into that again because we certainly had enough in the Nationals thread.

Yuna is better than Carolina, IMO. But I think you're right, Yuna was gifted in terms of PCS at Worlds. Mao beat her technically, she beat Mao PCS-wise for a first place finish in the free skate.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sorry to say this, but I thought Flatt's PCS was just fine.
She needs to improve her speed, posture, and overall presentation.
She should be no where near Mirai in terms of PCS as of now.

KYN made 2 mistakes and scored 130, and she made 2 mistakes and scored 131 last year in LA.
She was slower than her performance in Olys, but way faster and more inspiring than Asada's mediocre program IMO.
Asada would have won the FS still if she had managed to rotate all her jumps.

Transition, PE, etc... Rachael is superior to Mirai. Look at the mess that is Mirai yesterday. Her FS was 11th, and that was with a very high PCS. Rachael FS was 8th.
Sorry, but Mirai was gifted in the short program. gifted in the long program with PCS.

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Yes, I must agree that the US coverage was quite good, and definitely much better than I had expected....I would, however, have liked to have commentary during the CD and Pairs SP on Day 1....Oh well, the rest was great! Thanks Universal Sports!