Axel in SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Axel in SP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There's something about the Triple Axel that exudes masculinity. I don't know if it's something that should be pushed in Women's skating. There is already the option to do it as either the combination jump or the solo jump out of footwork in the SP.

hurrah

Medalist
There's something about the Triple Axel that exudes masculinity. I don't know if it's something that should be pushed in Women's skating. There is already the option to do it as either the combination jump or the solo jump out of footwork in the SP.

:laugh: Don't get me started....

key65man

Rinkside
The proposal of optional 3A in SP may be a simple gambit, perhaps not a great one. Still, Japan may be able to get a better deal on other proposals by "sacrificing" the optional 3A proposal.

Instead, I'll say, give it to them just to see how the JSF reacts to it. :) Kidding...

As I see so much revolving around Mao, I am wondering if the power dynamics in the JSF really depends on the success of Mao. It is more or less rhetorical...

There's something about the Triple Axel that exudes masculinity.

For some reason I always thought the Lutz was a manly man's jump, the way a man can "pop" off that outside edge.

A triple Axel, not so much. This is because the double Axel is the prettiest ladies' jump by far. A triple Axel is just an extra revolution, which does not seem to be either masculine or feminine in itself, to me. In fact, spinning around many times is sort of on the ladies' side in the performaing arts.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
It's all about the height and forward thrust that is require to achieve a Triple Axel. Thrusting motions are more masculine and hopefully I don't have to describe why.

hurrah

Medalist
It's all about the height and forward thrust that is require to achieve a Triple Axel. Thrusting motions are more masculine and hopefully I don't have to describe why.

I thought you were joking when you made the remark about the triple-axel exuding masculinity!!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Well it is april fools but, no, I really wasn't! The Triple Axel kind of defines Men's figure skating as the most iconic movement, just as the Spiral and Layback kind of define Women's figure skating.

yangjie

On the Ice
Well it is april fools but, no, I really wasn't! The Triple Axel kind of defines Men's figure skating as the most iconic movement, just as the Spiral and Layback kind of define Women's figure skating.

oh really? the 3A are very usual and common for me, the quads define men's figure skating.

You have given me a new perspective on the triple Axel. :)

oh really? the 3A are very usual and common for me, the quads define men's figure skating.

Yes, but quads are not macho like the forward thrusting triple Axel, because for a quad, you back into it like a punk. :yes:

Bennett

Record Breaker
C is what the rules were for senior men from the 1989 through 1998 seasons, and for junior men from whenever they were allowed to do triple-triple combo (I don't know the year offhand) until 2008-09 . . . well into the new judging system.

There are more junior men than senior ladies doing triple axels.

Those who can do triple axels do them in the combination. Those who can do triple axel with plenty of speed coming out do triple axel-triple toe.

Mao already has that option and has been using it this year.

If and when a lady could do 3A+3T combo and 3Lz in the short, she'd have a big advantage over all the rest. It wasn't until all the medal contenders were doing that in the men's event that more options were opened up.

It doesn't pay off when the 3A is downgraded, but the same is true for 3-3 combos. They're both iffy propositions for most women who can do them at all.

Personally, I don't care whether the solo 3A option is offered in the ladies' SP before more than one skater is in a position to take advantage of it. But based on the history of SP changes in the past, I don't expect that rule to change until after several women are consistently landing 3A in the LP and some of them doing 3A in the SP combination or solo jump from steps.
It's the chicken or the egg situation. It just opens the door. If the only skater who does that does not get much advantages, it would keep others from practicing it.

Last edited: