Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The mule kick

Custom Title

The mule kick

Did anybody think that Rachel had a big high kick into her flips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    Did anybody think that Rachel had a big high kick into her flips?
    No. Rachael doesn't raise her leg too much and it's nothing like a mule kick!

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    No. Rachael doesn't raise her leg too much and it's nothing like a mule kick!
    But I have to say, she has a terrible way of entering that jump. It's so distracting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    But I have to say, she has a terrible way of entering that jump. It's so distracting.
    It does NOT bother me at all. Each skater has a different technique to get a right timing to enter jumps. Everyone is somehow slightly different. Rachale has her own technique and it works for her very well. It is not even close to what you call mule-kick.
    I just love her. Thank you Rachael for the great season. I enjoyed it so much!!

Custom Title
    Each skater might have his or her own technique, but some are more correct than others. Caroline's technique, for example, might work for her, but it's hardly orthodox. It might not bother you, but it doesn't mean it's right

I wouldn't call it a mule kick, but she does raise her leg pretty high. It's not pretty. Her technique for both the lutz and flip is odd.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am not sure if it is a mule kick, but like Caroline she seems to swing back and forth on her edge, a trait that has gotten worse in the last year. This causes a "e" call on her lutz at worlds when actually when she took off she was on the outside edge as seen in slo-mo replay. But she changed edge so much it did not look clean.

Custom Title
    I believe that high kicking is an unintentional attempt by the body to store kenetic energy to achieve a rotation. To jump without the kick requires more strength. I have read that Caroline is attempting to increase her strength. She actually looked somewhat muscular in that People Magazine ad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I believe that high kicking is an unintentional attempt by the body to store kenetic energy to achieve a rotation. To jump without the kick requires more strength. I have read that Caroline is attempting to increase her strength. She actually looked somewhat muscular in that People Magazine ad.
    Caroline is muscular, but she doesn't have much upper body strength which I think helps with rotation. Compared to someone like Mirai or Yuna, she has very narrow shoulders even though they are all about the same height and weight. Looking at them, Rachael and Caroline likely have lower centers of gravity than a lot of the other girls because they have small shoulders and bigger hips and that's goign to prevent them from getting as much height on their jumps than someone with a higher center of gravity, but on the other hand, because they don't jump as high they are less likely to fall.

Actually, from a physics standpoint, a high kick reduces the amount of energy that can be translated into upward and rotational motion, so kicking up before picking is a net negative.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Caroline is muscular, but she doesn't have much upper body strength which I think helps with rotation. Compared to someone like Mirai or Yuna, she has very narrow shoulders even though they are all about the same height and weight.
    Actually, if you compare videos and pictures from the last 2 seasons, Caroline's shoulders seem to have gotten broader.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Actually, if you compare videos and pictures from the last 2 seasons, Caroline's shoulders seem to have gotten broader.
    Yes, but not compared to her legs and hips. She used to be very short and straight up and down, but now she doesn't have a little kid body anymore. She does not appear to be as thin as skaters like Mao, Yuna, Akiko, it looks like she is a bit more solid and where she has such bad technique she can't use her strength to power through her jumps.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I ve seen both Caroline and Flatt live and Flatt's kick was more annoying to me. It is the way she takes off also. That or I just liked Caroline's everything else much more so i didnt mind. Now I ve seen almost all top Usa ladies live, Flatt was the one I couldnt really appreciate at all.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    I think Rachael has some sort of "mule kick" but it definitely cannot rival Caroline's.

I really hope Caroline can get hers fixed by next season though. That kick is just getting worse and worse every season.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    To me it looks like a mule swing. Well, I guess mules don't exactly swing - maybe an elephant trunk's swing.

Custom Title
    I think Rachael's problem with her flip is her upper body. Her shoulders just look weird in that jump.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast