Oda leaves Morozov, Miki stays | Golden Skate

Oda leaves Morozov, Miki stays

Bennett

Record Breaker
http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2010032800264
(sorry it's written in Japanese)

Miki said she will live in Russia and definitely aim for Sochi.
The contract between Oda and Morozov is expired.

Wow, moving! Living in Russia for the next four years! That's really a big commitment.

I heard of Oda leaving Morosov and I can now understand that he will. It would be difficult with another language and more different lifestyle etc.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I guess Oda's poor finish at Vancouver and at Worlds prompted this decision by his federation. Miki is going to live in Russia that is surprising. Morozov must be leaving the US. Translation anyone?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when did Nikolai move his operation to Russia? I thought he was still in the US?

Bennett

Record Breaker
No, I don't think anyone is blaming Morosov for Oda's lace at Oly and nerves at Worlds. Oda also had his mother as a coach and not even his mom would be responsible for his lace! He is an adult turning 23.

It's just that Morosov is moving to Russia because he was asked by Russian Federation to train Russian skaters. Then Oda's contract is going to expire anyway and Oda is not going to renew it. That's the story in that article.

I think it smart for Nob not to go. He could end up Mao's situation with a parttime coach.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wow the japanese ladies do like to stick around... Midori and Shizuka competed for a period larger than 2 olympic cycles and Suguri had more than a decade cometing. I believe Miki that she wants to stay till Sochi but if by 2012 the results are not favorable she may reconsider.

Who can be a good coach for Oda?? He needs a big push in confidence.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ahh Russian Miki! Haha maybe she'll get back some of the feistyness she seems to be missing because of it :agree:! Is Oda retiring? Also Javi works with Morozov, will he be moving to Russia too?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am stunned that Miki wants to stay around for Sochi and that she is following her coach to russia. I guess Morzov's relocation is the main reason for the Oda/Morozov spilt which is unfortunate, I think they were actually pretty good together. Morozov can't be blamed for all the freaky things that happen to Nobu...it was his coach that wanted him to change his laces before the olympics and Nobu insisted he keep them.

bekalc

Record Breaker
when did Nikolai move his operation to Russia? I thought he was still in the US?

He's moving his opertation to Russia now. A lot of the coaches are starting to move back now that they can actually make a good living coaching in Russia. Why wouldn't they considering the grand tradition of Russian skating and the fact that the Olympics will be in Russia?

The same is quietly happening in Russia. A lot of the top gymanstic coaches moved to the United States. For example Alexander Alexandrov was the head of the USSR ladies (when they were just incredible/words can't describe.) He was coaching in the United States, and never got enough credit. For example if you talk to Dominque Moceanu, it wasn't Bela or Marta who taught her technical skills Alexandrov did. He also worked with Patterson when she was younger, and Mohini. To really just name a few.

But last year Alexandrov and others like him moved back to Russia. And already their ladies are improving big time. They've got some talented Juniors who will be seniors this year. And one incredible talent who will be a Senior next year. A lot of people think the World title this year may actually come down to Russia vs China. Because both teams are a lot better than the US on bars.

In the end, why wouldn't these coaches want to move back to their countries and ensure that the Tradition of those sports stays in their countries? Do you think it was fun for Vasiliev to watch Russian pairs not medal.

Last edited:

jovani2293

On the Ice
There is still 6 months before the 2010-2011 season starts, Miki could go to Russia, OR Find a new coach, OR Stay here in the US, OR move back to Japan.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Hasn't Mao just recently announced an official split with Tat?
I think the Japanese skaters have realized there is shakeup going on in the Russian federation. Wiith Russia hosting the next Olympics it is not surprising that somebody - maybe several high ranking people - want the best Russian coaches training as many Russian skaters as possible.

Maybe Miki and NM have a very "good" coach/student relationship and that is why she is staying with him. It doesn't seem so odd and Miki has said before she prefers training outside of Japan because of the distractions at home.

I think it has to be pretty interesting for Miki to have spent so much time in USA and now have a chance to live in Russia and experience their culture. Besides....Miki will look very good in furs ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think the Japanese skaters have realized there is shakeup going on in the Russian federation. Wiith Russia hosting the next Olympics it is not surprising that somebody - maybe several high ranking people - want the best Russian coaches training as many Russian skaters as possible.

And of course why shouldn't the Russian federation.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
He's moving his opertation to Russia now. A lot of the coaches are starting to move back now that they can actually make a good living coaching in Russia. Why wouldn't they considering the grand tradition of Russian skating and the fact that the Olympics will be in Russia?

The same is quietly happening in Russia. A lot of the top gymanstic coaches moved to the United States. For example Alexander Alexandrov was the head of the USSR ladies (when they were just incredible/words can't describe.) He was coaching in the United States, and never got enough credit. For example if you talk to Dominque Moceanu, it wasn't Bela or Marta who taught her technical skills Alexandrov did. He also worked with Patterson when she was younger, and Mohini. To really just name a few.

But last year Alexandrov and others like him moved back to Russia. And already their ladies are improving big time. They've got some talented Juniors who will be seniors this year. And one incredible talent who will be a Senior next year. A lot of people think the World title this year may actually come down to Russia vs China. Because both teams are a lot better than the US on bars.

In the end, why wouldn't these coaches want to move back to their countries and ensure that the Tradition of those sports stays in their countries? Do you think it was fun for Vasiliev to watch Russian pairs not medal.

To be fair no one is forcing the Russian coaches to emigrate or stay in the US. The US has been very generous to the Russian coaches that is why they came here in the first place and the US has benefited from their expertise. It was a win win situation for everyone.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think the Japanese skaters have realized there is shakeup going on inthe Russian federation. Wiith Russia hosting the next Olympics it is not surprising that somebody - maybe several high ranking people - want the best Russian coaches training as many Russian skaters as possible.

And I think it would be only natural to question your Russian coach's dedication to you if you are not Russian. With the Russian Fed breathing down their back to create new Russian Olympic Champions......

viv

On the Ice
Wow, I completely missed that Morozov is moving to Russia. He said in an interview about a year or so ago that he would like to work for a federation one day, but I didn't expect it now. When was this out?
As for Oda, I hope the new situation will not put additional pressure on him. I think what he needs most is a psychologist who helps him to deal with his head case problems.

viv

On the Ice
... I guess Morzov's relocation is the main reason for the Oda/Morozov spilt which is unfortunate, I think they were actually pretty good together. Morozov can't be blamed for all the freaky things that happen to Nobu...it was his coach that wanted him to change his laces before the olympics and Nobu insisted he keep them.

I agree. I think Morozov has done the best to give Oda confidence. I read somewhere recently that he never scolded Oda because Oda is putting way to much pressure on himself and is very a hard worker. I really hope Nobu is finding someone who can help him to solve his headcase problems.

ks777

Record Breaker
I agree. I think Morozov has done the best to give Oda confidence. I read somewhere recently that he never scolded Oda because Oda is putting way to much pressure on himself and is very a hard worker. I really hope Nobu is finding someone who can help him to solve his headcase problems.

Maybe it's time for him to leave his mommy behind. I think being with mom everywhere he goes is preventing him from growing up. If his mom really wants him to be strong mentally, she needs to go home and stay there and let him deal with every day life by himself.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow, imagine if Morozov becomes the coach of some of those Russian wonderbabies :love:. If some of those little girls go to him, I'm sure they can become even better :agree:!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Maybe it's time for him to leave his mommy behind. I think being with mom everywhere he goes is preventing him from growing up. If his mom really wants him to be strong mentally, she needs to go home and stay there and let him deal with every day life by himself.

Is his mother really always there with him? did not know that. Yes, he certainly needs to start living on his own now, he is what 21 or so? I think Morozov was good to be easy on him but this is not as easy sport and maybe he needs a Frank Carroll to push him a little but and tell him to cut out the drama.