Oda leaves Morozov, Miki stays | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Oda leaves Morozov, Miki stays

janetfan

Match Penalty
It says so in Japanese in the article, but Morosov speaks in English with very heavy accent. So it is possible that something was lost in translation. Besides, the article does not quote the question asked. It may mean something different put in the context that's missing.

Morozov seems to get misquoted alot - he could have meant that Miki can stay if she chooses to since she is already his student - but that he will be busy enough in Russia that he can't take any new Japanese/foreign students.

The whole thing seems vague - and it is possible Miki is still considering whether to move to Russia to continue training with him.

I guess we will hear more about it soon enough.

lavender

Record Breaker
Morozov is totally creepy. You can beat around the bush all you want but Miki competitive career is over. She had a metamorphosis in the 2006-2007 season. I don't see another one coming at all. She's skating like the Zhangs and starting to receive PCS like the Zhangs. Hers is now lower than Laura's, Carolina's despite being clean.

Okay...I agree with one statement here.:)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
There are rumors that unooficially Medvedev has already replaced Piseev.

And Javier would shine anyway cause he is that good, no matter the coach. Maybe Morozov was good for start ansd he had pirates of Carribean program which is among the most popular for audience. I d like to see him with another coach but if he is to become another firebird I prefer him with no Frank Carol. Of course Carol can make him OC, so I dunno. But i d like him to explore more than skating to all warhorses until he is 23. Carol works mostly with Lori Nichol? She has confused me a lot, cause I really liked Nagasu's programs and they suited her perfectly.

I wonder where Oda will go, but I hope the better for him, he is exceptional skater:)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Has Oda been living in New Jersey? Depending on what Johnny does Oda could think of trying Galina and Victor. Same for Javi as Silverlake mentioned before. With Evan most likely done Carroll could have an opening but I read today he is leaving the Toyota Center and will be moving to a new rink opening near Palm Springs. Temporarily he will be working out of Lake Arrowhead.

Not sure if he wants more students or not but I do hope Mirai stays with him.

Wicked

Final Flight
I'd like to see Nobu go with Frank Carroll. I think Frank making him do full runthroughs might be just what he needs to get his confidence back. Really don't think Evan will be back, so there's an opening!

Wrlmy

Medalist
I don't see Frank willing to take on another top competitor. Yes he has only Mirai right now, but given his age and the fact that he finally has OGM, I can see him retiring in near future. I think he needs to stay away from authoritarian coach, so that rules out Russian and Japanese coaches (and dare I say his mother).

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I feel so bad for Oda. What talent. I feel like his Karma changed with that DUI. I hope he finds his way.

viv

On the Ice
I feel so bad for Oda. What talent. I feel like his Karma changed with that DUI. I hope he finds his way.

ITA. I think he tried so hard to redeem himself for this incident that he puts too much pressure on himself and has one freaky mistake or meltdown after the other. I definitely think that he needs the help of a sports psychologist, no matter who his coach is.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I certainly suppose that DUI would have had negative psychological effects on Nob (perhaps there would have been post-tramatic growth, too, though). But let's not forget that Nob's comeback skates have been pretty fantastic overall and judges love him, too. Look at his GOEs. Very few can match, except for Yuna. Besides, it's not that he started to make bizarre mistakes for the first time after that. He missed a ticket to Torino Olympics and a World medal for Zayak. Morosov would have been a great help to him in boosting his confidence. Yet I liked David Wilson programs better and it would be cool if he returns to him.

viv

On the Ice
I certainly suppose that DUI would have had negative psychological effects on Nob (perhaps there would have been post-tramatic growth, too, though). But let's not forget that Nob's comeback skates have been pretty fantastic overall and judges love him, too. Look at his GOEs. Very few can match, except for Yuna. Besides, it's not that he started to make bizarre mistakes for the first time after that. He missed a ticket to Torino Olympics and a World medal for Zayak. Morosov would have been a great help to him in boosting his confidence. Yet I liked David Wilson programs better and it would be cool if he returns to him.

Well, as the collaboration between Morozov and Oda seems to have ended, he has to look for a new coach and choreographer. But I think the Chaplin program was fantastic and suited him very well, so I hope he keeps it for one more season. (Agreed that he needs a new SP, though.)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Looking back, I also liked Nob's SPs and LPs by Morosov and esp. Chaplin, but I hope that he would sell his programs more in the next seasons.

Who do you think Nob will choose? I feel that it may actually work better for him to pick a Japanese coach because his univ has a fab rink. The Sato family and Takeshi Honda are taken. I wonder if Mr. Nagakubo is available. He seems like a warm person whom Akiko Suzuki trusts very much. Akiko says that she came back because of him. But he is in Nagoya and Nob's in Osaka.

wallylutz

Medalist
Maybe Javier should switch to Johnny and Ksenia's coach? That way he doesn't have to leave New Jersey.

And have his choreography destroyed by yet another super front-loaded program, aka. 4-5 jumping passes one after another with nothing in between? Sorry, thanks but not thanks. :unsure:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Javier seems to have everything a coach could want to work with. I hope he leans to the west when seeking a choreographer, at least..Mind you , I'm also very thrilled with Kenzi Miyamoto's work...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
And have his choreography destroyed by yet another super front-loaded program, aka. 4-5 jumping passes one after another with nothing in between? Sorry, thanks but not thanks. :unsure:

Johnny and Ksenia have managed to do pretty well these past few years, and Javier has all the qualities needed to reach greatness. If he doesn't want to move again, it could be a logical choice. Plus I don't think there are any reknown coaches in Spain....

wallylutz

Medalist
Johnny and Ksenia have managed to do pretty well these past few years, and Javier has all the qualities needed to reach greatness. If he doesn't want to move again, it could be a logical choice. Plus I don't think there are any reknown coaches in Spain....

Respectfully, Ksenia was a nobody prior to this year. She placed relativey high at Worlds this year but her PCS is before last among the Top 10, not sure I'd cal that "managed to do pretty well". As for Johnny's PCS, at the risk of being hunted by his "Angels", his programs this year are so poorly designed, they gave him no chance of winning a medal even when he skates clean. I don't think Javier should follow these two as example. Last year, everyone thought Leonova was going to be the future of Russian skating. Johnny proclaims Ksenia to be the new queen, but I don't see in this girl anything other than some good jumps so far. If I were Javier, even if I have to move half way across the globe again, I would avoid Johnny and the coaches / entourage who obviously failed him like pest.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Respectfully, Ksenia was a nobody prior to this year. She placed relativey high at Worlds this year but her PCS is before last among the Top 10, not sure I'd cal that "managed to do pretty well". As for Johnny's PCS, at the risk of being hunted by his "Angels", his programs this year are so poorly designed, they gave him no chance of winning a medal even when he skates clean. I don't think Javier should follow these two as example. Last year, everyone thought Leonova was going to be the future of Russian skating. Johnny proclaims Ksenia to be the new queen, but I don't see in this girl anything other than some good jumps so far. If I were Javier, even if I have to move half way across the globe again, I would avoid Johnny and the coaches / entourage who obviously failed him like pest.

Ksensia is going to have a rough time of it when Russia's juniors get age eligible. The Russians have a huge group of talented Juniors coming, and unless Ksenia really improves her jump content, let alone choregraphy, she will be left in the dust. Sure there's puberty and stuff, but there is enough talented little Russian jumpers that one or two WILL break through. Especially when you consider all of the money that the Russian federation will spend in the build up to Sochi.

Many think that Russia's pool of a 11-14 year olds is actually deeper than the United States and Japan. I like Ksensia though and I think if she can get the lutz and better choregraphy she could be competitive. But she has her work cut out for her.

Last edited:

younggrass

Rinkside
Looking back, I also liked Nob's SPs and LPs by Morosov and esp. Chaplin, but I hope that he would sell his programs more in the next seasons.

Who do you think Nob will choose? I feel that it may actually work better for him to pick a Japanese coach because his univ has a fab rink. The Sato family and Takeshi Honda are taken. I wonder if Mr. Nagakubo is available. He seems like a warm person whom Akiko Suzuki trusts very much. Akiko says that she came back because of him. But he is in Nagoya and Nob's in Osaka.

I think it seems weird:unsure:

http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51820886.html
Oda said today, “I had heard he might move the home rink in January but didn’t know it meant Russia at all. We would go with the coach wherever he wants to go. I don’t know a lot about it because we have not talked yet”.

This sounds really strange. Does Oda still want to do with Morozov while Morozov doesn’t want to continue?

Lots of news reported that Morozov clealy said the contract between him and Oda was finished and the only Japanese skater he can trust is Miki:confused:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it seems weird:unsure:

http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51820886.html
Oda said today, “I had heard he might move the home rink in January but didn’t know it meant Russia at all. We would go with the coach wherever he wants to go. I don’t know a lot about it because we have not talked yet”.

This sounds really strange. Does Oda still want to do with Morozov while Morozov doesn’t want to continue?

Lots of news reported that Morozov clealy said the contract between him and Oda was finished and the only Japanese skater he can trust is Miki:confused:

It does sound strange. It puts a different spin on it. Seems like Oda is in the dark. Maybe the Russian Federation does not want NM coaching Oda who could possibly challenge in Sochi. Just a thought.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Huh, sounds strange to me, too. And the link seems such a reliable source. It says it is a web version of an information magazine of Kansai University (his and Dai's Univ).

ETA
Let me give you guys translation:

ニコライ・モロゾフコーチとの契約解消が伝えられたが「モロゾフ先生からは、1月の五輪前に、拠点を移すか もしれない、という話があった。ロシアという話は全然聞いていなかった。コーチがやりやすい環境で、ぼくた ちはそれに帯同していく形になる。そのあたりは何もわかりません。まだ何も話し合っていないので…」と視線 を下にやった。

The termination of contract with Coach Nicholai Morosov has been reported (by the media). But "In Jan before the Oly, Teacher Morosov told me/us that he might relocate. I did not hear at all that it would be Russia. We follow to the place(s) which Coach finds fine. I do not know anything about it. We have not talked anything yet..." He looked down.

Last edited: