Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Post Olympic Breakups, retirements and new partnerships

Custom Title
    In addition, according to Skate Canada CEO, he strongly believes that Virtue/Moir will stay as well. He even explicitly told people not to pay attention to V/M's waffling on this topic and reiterated that Skate Canada will do whatever they can to keep the golden couple. So it is quite possible that Canada will enter the 2010-2011 season with its full complement of stars and rising stars from the 2010 Olympics where in dance, ladies and men - each will have have either an Olympic or World Medalist in 2010 + a second skater who is more or less top 10 in the world. In comparison, the United States will expect a lot more retirements in both men and dance and will struggle to rebuild the ladies after a dismal finish at the 2010 Worlds. If Lysacek doesn't return, this would mean U.S. men will be left with Abbott and Rippon as the lead men with a fairly open 3rd spot whereas Davis/White will lead the way in dance but with a somewhat unsure 2nd rank team due to retirement of Belbin/Agosto and as well as the 4th place team in the U.S. this year. Even in ladies, there are questions as to whether Rachael Flatt will continue to skate or not because she may accept Stanford and leave competitive skating entirely. In short, the 2011 season may look pretty familiar in Canada but in the U.S., there could be quite a bit of new faces.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    In addition, according to Skate Canada CEO, he strongly believes that Virtue/Moir will stay as well. He even explicitly told people not to pay attention to V/M's waffling on this topic and reiterated that Skate Canada will do whatever they can to keep the golden couple. So it is quite possible that Canada will enter the 2010-2011 season with its full complement of stars and rising stars from the 2010 Olympics where in dance, ladies and men - each will have have either an Olympic or World Medalist in 2010 + a second skater who is more or less top 10 in the world. In comparison, the United States will expect a lot more retirements in both men and dance and will struggle to rebuild the ladies after a dismal finish at the 2010 Worlds. If Lysacek doesn't return, this would mean U.S. men will be left with Abbott and Rippon as the lead men with a fairly open 3rd spot whereas Davis/White will lead the way in dance but with a somewhat unsure 2nd rank team due to retirement of Belbin/Agosto and as well as the 4th place team in the U.S. this year. Even in ladies, there are questions as to whether Rachael Flatt will continue to skate or not because she may accept Stanford and leave competitive skating entirely. In short, the 2011 season may look pretty familiar in Canada but in the U.S., there could be quite a bit of new faces.
    It will be a rebuilding year for the U.S. for sure, but I think that there is things to look forward to.

In MEN — I think Adam Rippon has only scratched the surface. The only thing he needs to work on is that darn triple axel. And he has "Mr. Triple Axel" (Canada's own, of course) as his coach, so I think that will get resolved. Brandon Mroz is also still in the picture. He is a great skater but didn't have a great season this year. I expect him to bounce back in 2010-2011. There's some other young skaters I think will emerge as well.

In LADIES – I think Mirai has a fire under her. I think it's good that she knows she cannot be a headcase in these international competitions. Also I think Caroline had a nice ending to her season with a medal at 4CC, so maybe we'll see a comeback from her. Also Ashley Wagner is still around and we will see how Christina Gao and Agnes Zawadoski rank after being on the JGPF and Junior Worlds circuit. Rachael is a question mark because we don't know if she'll take the school route or the competitive skating route. Also we might see Amanda Dobbs as well (if she chooses to continue in Ladies). She did great at 4CC.

In PAIRS — People forget that Denney and Barrett just completed only their second season together. I expect them to get even better. I think Evora and Ladwig, now that they have a taste of success of the international level, will get better. Also I expect a comeback from Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker after a fifth place finish in nationals.

In DANCE — Davis and White will continue to lead. But I think we should also watch for Bates and Samuelson. They improved their Worlds standing (from 11th in 2009 to 9th this year). There's a couple of couples (such as the Hubells) that may step up to the plate as well.

Ahhh can't wait until the fall!

Abbott, Rippon, and Mroz will be an interesting battle.. it will be even more interesting if Lysacek, Weir or Bradley decides to stay on.. I have a feeling Weir will never come back to competition though

Denney & Barrett, Evora & Ladwig, and McLaughlin & Brubaker will also be a heated battle (outside shot: Castile & Okolski)

In dance I think the definite number two right now are Samuelson & Bates, but Chock & Zuerlein are quite good as well

Ladies is so inconsistent, who knows? I think the only definite thing is that Mirai is the best US lady right now, and will probably win next year.. no idea about placements after that if Rachael retires (and even if she stays, she's not a guaranteed medalist)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rdad View Post
    Megan Duhamel and Eric Radford are partnering up for next season, an official announcement should be in the works.
    Where was this info? It is surprising!! What is Craig doing then?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    In DANCE — Davis and White will continue to lead. But I think we should also watch for Bates and Samuelson. They improved their Worlds standing (from 11th in 2009 to 9th this year).
    Since two top teams (Tanith and Ben, Domina and Shabalin) were not skating at worlds their improvement actually stayed the same. Personally I was surprised at this, I find their FD beautiful, difficult pretty lifts, lovely leg lines and speed. The OD, while not what I would have chossen was very cute and always well skated. I did not see their Waltz CD at worlds, but felt that thier expression during the Tango Romatica in Vancouver was not up to the level of the other teams. With the CD going, i guess this will only help them (and hurt teams like Domina and Shabalin).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Since two top teams (Tanith and Ben, Domina and Shabalin) were not skating at worlds their improvement actually stayed the same. Personally I was surprised at this, I find their FD beautiful, difficult pretty lifts, lovely leg lines and speed. The OD, while not what I would have chossen was very cute and always well skated. I did not see their Waltz CD at worlds, but felt that thier expression during the Tango Romatica in Vancouver was not up to the level of the other teams. With the CD going, i guess this will only help them (and hurt teams like Domina and Shabalin).
    Actually, they went backwards. YOu forgot that Kho / Nov retired, therefore they were passed by two teams Cro / Poi and Zaretkys and they came ahead of Capellinni and Lanotte only because those had that horrible mistake in the FD. You think their FD was good? Yes, it was a pretty music, but too powerful and to meet in performance and interpretation such a piece is very difficult task and I don't think they were up to the challenge. Their OD had a subpar and not difficult choreography. They were hit with level 2's in their footstep sequences. Coasting on their matching lines only won't do the trick.
    Last edited by herios; 04-02-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Actually, they went backwards. YOu forgot that Kho / Nov retired, therefore they were passed by two teams Cro / Poi and Zaretkys and they came ahead of Capellinni and Lanotte only because those had that horrible mistake in the FD. You think their FD was good? Yes, it was a pretty music, but too powerful and to meet in performance and interpretation such a piece is very difficult task and I don't think they were up to the challenge. Their OD had a subpar and not difficult choreography. They were hit with level 2's in their footstep sequences. Costing on their matching lines only won't do the trick.
    Actually they were passed byt C/P and Bobrova&Soloviev, the Zars were already ahead of them at Vancouver.

Devidias Stagniunas is listed on icepartnersearch.com . So is pretty safe to say Copely/Stagniunas are no more.
    Last edited by SamuraiKike; 04-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Rogue Leader
    Sgower, Craig retired. There was an article posted here a little while ago.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sgower View Post
    Where was this info? It is surprising!! What is Craig doing then?
    To my knowledge there hasn't been an offcial announcement but I have it on good authority that they will be partnering. Craig is retiring which isn't suprising due to the wear and tear on his shoulder.

Rinkside

Thumbs up

I'm bummed that they have split. I think they were the future of pairs in Canada. Megan is delightful to watch and Craig is such a strong partner for her. Dube & Davison have just fallen off the path somehow. She doesnt even look like she wants to be out there. And Annabelle, as much as I love her, just can't land the jumps. Cody has lots left in him..he needs Megan!! The Moscovitch pairing at Canadians was fun to watch. His partner is spunky and I hope they come out on fire next season...

With Belbin/Agosto and Nav/Bom gone, I think we will see Chock/Zuerlein step up, and Im pretty excited. Ladies in USA won't change; we'll see more of a leadership position from Flatt and Nagasu, as well as Wagner, who has shown she has the goods and can get the results. Pairs won't change: McLaughlin/Brubaker will fight back. Men's will be the most interesting.

And, its unfortunate that our top 2 disciplines are the two that are losing people. But...we got this. =]

I know I said 'who knows' before, but I'm starting to think Wagner will become more of a force in ladies, esp. if Flatt stops skating to go to college.

Medalist
    Have Navarro & Bommentre officially retired ?

No split, no retire for K/N... at least not for now

http://www.radiomayak.ru/tvp.html?id=225530&cid=

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3