Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Post Olympic Breakups, retirements and new partnerships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by riardo View Post
    There are unofficial reports that Khokholva/Novitskiy broke up as Sergey has retired and Yana is looking for new partner. There are also reports that Domnina is considering looking for a new partner as well.
    Too bad, if those reports are true, you'd almost want to see Khokholova pairing up with Domnina as it seems logical - both are looking for partners and they are both very good skaters but alas, I don't think the ISU will ever accept two women doing Ice Dance together.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Too bad, if those reports are true, you'd almost want to see Khokholova pairing up with Domnina as it seems logical - both are looking for partners and they are both very good skaters but alas, I don't think the ISU will ever accept two women doing Ice Dance together.

Ohh that team will be so kick ***.. Domnina is tall enough to lift Khokhlova . With the former lines and the later athleticism they will be unstopabble.

It 's official that Maxim will be Tatiana's partner or this are only speculations?:D

Quote Originally Posted by raress View Post
    It 's official that Maxim will be Tatiana's partner or this are only speculations?:D
    Trankov announced that they will be auditioning in front of the Russian federation officials in May. So they are at least definetly giving it a shot.

Haha, yeah, that's too bad that Domnina and Khokhlova won't work.

Custom Title
    If this partner come true, I'm certain that I will rooting for them till they retire.

I would be very surprised if Rochette stays.

But I thought that Miki would surely retire but she says she would perhaps aim for Sochi. That was a very big surprise.

Yuna sounds exhausted in her interviews. I recall Miki was in a burnout after she became a world champ. She deserves a good break. At the same time, the main reason that she cites for the possible retirement sounds more like she is exhausted and stressed out in competitive life. She says that she wants a more normal life, but attending school in Korea would not give her a normal life. But I do not know, it could be possible if ppl get used to having her? You get huge attention if you go to school just once in a while, but if you go there every day, and then ppl would treat you more normally.

Shizuka kept running and running and running after OGM without any break at all, but in her case, she used that good competitive result to help her professionally and enhance opportuniities.

But Yuna is in a different stage in her life in that she's a bit too young to be so career-oriented and also Shizuka had had a normal life as a student and suddenly became famous, but Yuna has never done so and enhancing her career may not be a goal for her now when she already has achieved so much.

Rinkside
    It's been reported that Sergey Voronov left Urmanov and now will be coached by Nikolai Morozov.

Custom Title
    After his rocky roller coaster 2009-2010 I was actually wondering if Voronov would continue. He is obviously not in favor with the Russian federation anymore because of his bombing at 2010 Euros.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I would be very surprised if Rochette stays.
    Rochette has already stated that she is not thinking about retirement and will compete again. This was reported by CBC, Canada's national broadcast network about a week ago.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Who can Maria partner with? This saddens me because M&T really did seem to actually be able to tolerate each other this year, and I started liking them. Unlike Jamie Sale, I liked their Love Story program.
    You really liked their Love Story program? I thought it was choreographically empty and virtually emotionless. The strange thing about Mukhortova/Trankov is that HE showed the most expression of the two. Nevertheless, there were good qualities to their skating, they had been getting better, and they had more potential (if the judges would have allowed them to beat Kawaguchi/Smirnov, which they should have at Worlds). It's very sad to see Mukhortova/Trankov split, but I'm assuming it was done because they are both so moody and don't seem to get along with each other or even their coach. Maria still seems like she wants to skate with Trankov though, so I feel bad for her, and it will be very sad for him if the partnering with Volozoshar doesn't work out. I am skeptical about the Volosozhar pairing. She is used to skating with Hercules, so who knows how big of an adjustment this will be. It will also be different skating with a moody guy as opposed to your boyfriend!

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Maxim absolutley is a stronger jumper than Maria. Maxim lands 3/3s in practice. What happened at the Olympics was an absolute fluke. And I recall her jump wasn't perfect either. There have been occassions where Inoue has messed up a jump when Baldiwn hit. That's what happened here but at worlds things went back to form with Maxim hitting his jumps and Maria having an issue. As for the throw-that was another fluke. Even the best partners make a mistake. But overall with Maria and Maxim's career, it has been her that has held that team back, and lots of people think the reason they can't handle harder choregraphy and transitions is because the program needs to be simpiler for her to even go clean.
    Men are by nature better jumpers than women. I don't feel it's fair to compare the girls to the guys, especially since the women have potential to fall more as they are of course responsible for landing throw jumps on top of the SBS jumps. A case where the girl severely outjumps the guy seems like a complete rarity. I do agree to that Mukhortova/Trankov were limited choreographically, but I don't think that was due to her jumping as much as it was due to her lack of artistic ability. Trankov isn't really much of an artist himself, but I think he's better than she is.
    Last edited by gold12345; 04-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riardo View Post
    It's been reported that Sergey Voronov left Urmanov and now will be coached by Nikolai Morozov.
    Please tell me that this is some twisted April Fool's joke...
    Last edited by beep_beep; 04-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Men are by nature better jumpers than women. I don't feel it's fair to compare the girls to the guys, especially since the women have potential to fall more as they are of course responsible for landing throw jumps on top of the SBS jumps. A case where the girl severely outjumps the guy seems like a complete rarity. I do agree to that Mukhortova/Trankov were limited choreographically, but I don't think that was due to her jumping as much as it was due to her lack of artistic ability. Trankov isn't really much of an artist himself, but I think he's better than she is.
    They were limited choregraphically because Maria had problems with consistency, and so they bare bones choregraphy made it more likely for yes her to skate clean. And as for comparing the guys to the girls. Well I guess I could point out that Tatiana is a better jumper than Stansilav. Really the thing is Maria's jumping technique has never been very good and her consistency on the jumps isn't good in comparision even to her fellow females

In contrast, Trankov's fall at the Olympic short was a fluke. In comparison to his male peers, he's one of the most consistent jumpers around. I mean Robin fell on a side by side jump at the Olympics too. As for Trankov not being very artistic, that's frankly not true. The guy is very expressive and he's quite balletic. He skates with a lot of passion, but his partner does not. There's only so much one partner can do. And there was talk that this guy never wanted to skate to Love Story.

Lets see him with a partner who actually has more expression and with better choregraphy, before you claim he's not that artistic.

Rochette has already stated that she is not thinking about retirement and will compete again. This was reported by CBC, Canada's national broadcast network about a week ago.
    Good thing Cynthia got us two spots for next year's worlds so they can both go. Since Cynthia has improved so much, there should be more of a Joannie-Cynthia rivalry next season.

Medalist
    It's true - she wants to go for the record number of Canadian Championships ever...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast