Frank Carroll changing rinks | Golden Skate

Frank Carroll changing rinks

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
A member of the board of the FSC that opperates from Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo announced that Frank is leaving the rink after thier annual summer camp. He will be working out of a brand new rink currently being built in Cathedral City, near Palm Springs where he has a retirment home. I am worried that many of his current studnets including Mirai will be unable to follow him there. Mirai is still young to live on her own and with he parent's business a move would be out of the question. And yes, it is too far to commute every day( those who don't live in the socal area).

janetfan

Match Penalty
A member of the board of the FSC that opperates from Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo announced that Frank is leaving the rink after thier annual summer camp. He will be working out of a brand new rink currently being built in Cathedral City, near Palm Springs where he has a retirment home. I am worried that many of his current studnets including Mirai will be unable to follow him there. Mirai is still young to live on her own and with he parent's business a move would be out of the question. And yes, it is too far to commute every day( those who don't live in the socal area).

I read something about this earlier today. It did say the new rink won't be open for a while and that Frank will be working at Lake Arrowhead until the new rink opens.

I guess he has discussed this with Mirai and her family and I sure hope something can be worked out.

autounion

Spectator
I guess he has discussed this with Mirai and her family and I sure hope something can be worked out.

This is unexpected news, and a worrisome one. I certainly hope something can be worked out for the next season at the very least. I feel Frank is a critical component in the next year or two for Mirai.

ks777

Record Breaker
How far is it from her house to lake arrowhead? When i used to live in Pasadena, I been to Lake Arrowhead once.. I thought it took forever to get there.. There is no way Mirai can commute every day to Lake Arrowhead.. I can't think of any other coaches for Mirai right now..

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How far is it from her house to lake arrowhead? When i used to live in Pasadena, I been to Lake Arrowhead once.. I thought it took forever to get there.. There is no way Mirai can commute every day to Lake Arrowhead.. I can't think of any other coaches for Mirai right now..

about 2 hours. Everything was going so well I thought Mirai and Frank were going to be together forever. I really don't want to see Mirai change coaches, Frank has been perfect for her in my opinion and this is only the begining. I really hope that they can work something out.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
wow this is not great news :( Im hoping Mirai & her family can work something out where she can still train with Frank. I think he has helped her out alot this past year and was looking forward to great things in thier pairing.

Yeah I have to agree Lake Arrowhead is a trek. Who am I kidding, El Segundo & Artesia were too far for me to go to skate when I lived in Pasadena. I was only willing to go to the rink in Pasadena or Burbank to get coached. I know I am ridiculous, but if it wasnt in my bubble I didnt care to go. LOL :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how far of a drive is it hours wise? Whenever I drive through SoCal I'm amazed at how close things are.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
how far of a drive is it hours wise? Whenever I drive through SoCal I'm amazed at how close things are.

It may be short distance wise but with LA traffic any commute turns into a whole morning affair. The freeway you would take out to Arrowhead/Palm Spings is backed up with commuters coming into the city in the mornings, so Mirai would he going in the opposite direction, but still we are looking at about 2 hours. Not impossible, but very difficult and going to high school would be impossible. Maybe she will work with Christa Fassi and Ken Congemi on the weekdays and go out to Frank on the weekends?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It may be short distance wise but with LA traffic any commute turns into a whole morning affair. The freeway you would take out to Arrowhead/Palm Spings is backed up with commuters coming into the city in the mornings, so Mirai would he going in the opposite direction, but still we are looking at about 2 hours. Not impossible, but very difficult and going to high school would be impossible. Maybe she will work with Christa Fassi and Ken Congemi on the weekdays and go out to Frank on the weekends?

Mirai doesn't go to school anymore, she takes her courses online through connections academy so at least she won't have to worry about getting back for school. She already drives to El Segundo to train and that isn't exactly close either. I tend to think if she wants to continue to train with Frank she'll likely rent an apartment out in Lake Arrowhead/Palm Springs and then drive back to visit her family on the weekends. She's not a baby, she's turning 17 in a couple weeks and a lot of kids are 17 when they go off to college. I think Mirai could handle living by herself for 5 days at a time, likely she could find a fellow skater to share an apartment with or something and that could make it easier.

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
I agree Mira is old enough. In my country some students go to live in student hostels or aparmantes to study or do sports at the age of 14. She'll probably miss her family, but to be successfull she need this step. She is getting better and better: it would be a pity if she wouldn't go with Frank.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Anybody else think that Mirai and her family already new about this far in advance? If she were really to leave Frank over this, I think we would've heard about it by now.

just wondering

On the Ice
I agree with you, HCOSurfer. And would be shocked if Mirai & her family weren't well-aware of this rink situation prior to the public announcement. In fact, I suspect living & training arrangements for Mirai were being evaluated, if not already in place, by the time the change was released to the public.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Anybody else think that Mirai and her family already new about this far in advance? If she were really to leave Frank over this, I think we would've heard about it by now.

I would think also that Frank would want to stay with Mirai, assuming that all is well between them. If Evan retires, she's his most prominent student next season.

I hope so anyway. I agree with everyone here that he has done wonders for her.

heyang

Record Breaker
I can't imagine that Frank didn't discuss his move with all of his students. As many pointed out, Lake Arrowhead is not convenient; so, many families might be willing to move, too, or they will stay and work with other coaches that have benefited by working with Frank.

Michele and Karen Kwan stayed at Lake Arrowhead when they trained with Frank and one or both parents drove there daily to check in with them. I think they had a restaurant, too.

Once a restaurant is established, it is possible for the owners to hire a good manager and be there for only part of the day. So, it's possible that all the Nagasu's will move somewhere between the rink and restaurant.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mirai doesn't go to school anymore, she takes her courses online through connections academy so at least she won't have to worry about getting back for school. She already drives to El Segundo to train and that isn't exactly close either. I tend to think if she wants to continue to train with Frank she'll likely rent an apartment out in Lake Arrowhead/Palm Springs and then drive back to visit her family on the weekends. She's not a baby, she's turning 17 in a couple weeks and a lot of kids are 17 when they go off to college. I think Mirai could handle living by herself for 5 days at a time, likely she could find a fellow skater to share an apartment with or something and that could make it easier.

I didin't realize Mirai was taking online courses. Yes, I guess they could commute then, I know she is almost 17, but she is a very young 17, I can't see her living alone at all yet. Not to mention her parents probably cant afford to set her up in a apartment. Housing in the LA area is not cheap.

sidwich

Rinkside
Frank Carroll commenting on Mirai's future commute: "From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to [Toyota],"

Frank's overstating it a little bit; Arcadia is definitely going in the direction of Cathedral City if you're leaving Los Angeles, but it's still at least a two hour drive. Arcadia to El Segundo is a pain, but if Mirai starts training crack-of-dawn like most skaters, it would probably only take an hour to get there. I used to work in El Segundo, and knew many people who made similar commutes. It's not fun but it's doable. Arcadia/Cathedral City isn't really doable on a daily basis.

I'm betting that Mirai will have some good sponsorship money for next season, and real estate prices crashed HARD in that part of California with the recession. No doubt Team Mirai will have some kind of part-time living situation figured out for her training once the new rink opens. It's not unusual for skaters to live away from family for better training conditions, and Mirai's getting to an age where she should be able to handle it well. Kristi Yamaguchi moved to Canada at around the same age when Christy Ness moved, so this is pretty small potatoes. I'm not worried about this one.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I didin't realize Mirai was taking online courses. Yes, I guess they could commute then, I know she is almost 17, but she is a very young 17, I can't see her living alone at all yet. Not to mention her parents probably cant afford to set her up in a apartment. Housing in the LA area is not cheap.

Her parents are probably pretty well off considering they live in Arcadia, it's a very expensive town....most of the houses there sell for 3/4 of a million or more. Mirai I think actually seems pretty self-sufficient, and if she found a training mate around her age to stay with I think she would be fine. The smartest thing would probably be to have the family move somewhere equidistant between the new rink and the restaurant, and if money is an issue this would also be smart as they can probably sell their house in Arcadia for a lot of money and buy something cheaper in another town.