Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kozuka's father talks about Ladies Gold medalist at Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Could you please cite the source where you read that many furious Mao fans are showing their anger at Kozuka's fan thread?

If you are talking about his major fan site, Go Takahiko!
    http://takahikokozuka.com/top.html
    I do not see any such posts between the date of the Worlds and today. According to the guidelines, the administrator checks all the messages that are sent to the fan board before accepting to let them appear on the board.
    http://takahikokozuka.com/notice.html
    Their guidelines sound pretty relaxed in that they mention nothing about manners but the issue of copyrighted videos. Yet, it is hard to believe that the administrator would have accepted any angry messages directed at Kozuka's father even if anyone has ever sent such messages.
    Yeah, actually, that part of the original post seems sort of doubtful. The interview was published in Chunichi Newspapers for chrissake! That's the local newspaper of Nagoya! Chunichi would never print an article that would incur the wrath of fans in the first place.

Sure there might be some extremists, but the most reaction that even fans will have is a wry chuckle that Mr. Kozuka's being so impartial, not that that's such a bad thing of course...

Mr. Kozuka seems to have written on his son, too

According to one of the messages posted on Takahiko's message board, [#1276 by Mitamama(みたまま) 2010/03/30 21:53] <http://www.21style.jp/bbs/takahiko/>, his father seems to have written some commentary on Takahiko at a newspaper (Could this possibly be a part of the same article or one of the series of articles published by the same newspaper that we are talking about, because the date is so close?). The poster describes Takahiko's father's review on his son as having some words that are "a little hard" on Takahiko. But the poster interprets the "hard words" as a sign of his "faith in his son's talent and ability to keep making efforts."

Mr. Kozuka's review on Mao is not even "hard," but just suggests the areas in which Mao could work on during the next season.

ETA:
    BTW, I've realized that Mr. Kozuka uses a signature, "former Olympian" and "advisor of Chukyo University.(中京大アドバイザー)" in the cited original post. Chukyo Univ is Mao's Univ and Mr. Kozuka would be an advisor of figure skating. So it makes sense for him to write things like this for her.
    Last edited by Bennett; 03-31-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: ETA

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Kozuka's father explains why there was such differnce of points, contrasting Mao's technique or program with Yuna's, saying Mao's are plain and slower but Yuna's are what the figure skating basically aims for. (I like this! )
    I think you just explained why some of her fans may not be happy with these comments, even if he made it with good intent. Because they can be used by some people who doesn't really care for Mao as another basis for putting her down.

On the Ice
    ^ what's wrong with saying that the poster likes that statement made by mr. kozuka? the poster never mentioned, let alone, put mao down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    ^ what's wrong with saying that the poster likes that statement made by mr. kozuka? the poster never mentioned, let alone, put mao down.
    Thank you Lightbulb for defending me! But miki88 did not say anything wrong about me.
    Mr. Kozuka sounds like a respectable and reasonable person. Was Kozuka's grandfather a figure skater too?

I want to read his 'hard' comments on his son's skating! I think Kozuka Takahiko's skating is very pure and his skills are accurate.
    (He, Jeremy and Chan were at GPF in 2008. I was impressed by him and Jeremy.)

SOME of Mao fans sound unreasonable and immature but, I think, SO do some of Yuna fans and some of whoever's fans, too.
    If they don't agree with Mr. Kozuka, they should discuss in good manners instead hating or attacking him.
    Last edited by sunny0760; 03-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Sunny0760, I am glad to see that you realize the statement wasn't directly aimed at you (cause it wasn't ). I was just trying to say that statements comparing the two skaters can be easily used as a way of stirring fan wars. As a result, it is not surprising to see the heated reactions of some of Mao's diehard fans.

Custom Title
    How come Mr. Takahiko doesn't like his future daughter-in-law? Does he know his son has a huge crush on her?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    How come Mr. Takahiko doesn't like his future daughter-in-law? Does he know his son has a huge crush on her?
    Maybe he does it out of love. Asian parents are known to be strict with future son/daughter-in-laws.

Custom Title
    ^^ lol

What Mr. Kozuka is in the end, is a professional. He separates what is the truth from the emotion, and just says things as he sees them. He's given Mao valid points about what she can improve on. The audience may have known what seems obvious now, but sometimes, the most obvious advice is the advice most hardest to get--especially for a golden child like Mao. I'd really like to see Mr. Kozuka stay as an advisor to her, if not become a coach. I feel like Mao has been drifting, left to deal with too many things on her own, when what she needed and needs most right now, is a firm mentor who can show a direction to help her find herself again.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Yeah, actually, that part of the original post seems sort of doubtful. .....

Sure there might be some extremists, but the most reaction that even fans will have is a wry chuckle that Mr. Kozuka's being so impartial, not that that's such a bad thing of course...
    I agree. The original post says Kozuka "thread" not "Site (fan site)," "Community (a group at a social-networking service, "mixi")" or "Page/Group (Facebook page/group)." Could that be a 2-ch "thread"? I never go to 2-ch, but hear that it's a the place full of bashing and ugly posts.

Just a thought.

Custom Title
    Mao needs to bring the lutz and salchow back, or at least one of them. A lutz with an edge call is still worth more than a downgraded triple axel and that's what she needs to realize. Also, she should try for a 3-3 with a 3t on the back end of it, as these days 3-3lo combos are VERY hard to get ratified.

Custom Title
    Mao needs to bring the lutz and salchow back, or at least one of them. A lutz with an edge call is still worth more than a downgraded triple axel and that's what she needs to realize. Also, she should try for a 3-3 with a 3t on the back end of it, as these days 3-3lo combos are VERY hard to get ratified.
    Well, a Triple Lutz with an edge call "e" could be worth as little as only 3 points from 6 points of BV minus 3 GOE for "e". Likewise, a downgraded 3A may still be awarded with positive GOE unless the UR is obvious to the judges as well, which means it can worth 3.5 points in BV + X amount in GOE and may end with a total greater than 4 points. Mao Asada also has a tendency to fail to get enough lift from her outside edge and unable to complete the rotations she needs on a Lutz.

As for Mr. Kozuka's comments, they are spot on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Well, a Triple Lutz with an edge call "e" could be worth as little as only 3 points from 6 points of BV minus 3 GOE for "e". Likewise, a downgraded 3A may still be awarded with positive GOE unless the UR is obvious to the judges as well, which means it can worth 3.5 points in BV + X amount in GOE and may end with a total greater than 4 points. Mao Asada also has a tendency to fail to get enough lift from her outside edge and unable to complete the rotations she needs on a Lutz.

As for Mr. Kozuka's comments, they are spot on.
    Most edge calls only result in -1 or -2 GOE though

Custom Title
    Most edge calls only result in -1 or -2 GOE though
    No, if it's a "e", it's mostly a -2 up to -3, not -1 and the GOE has to be negative. The problem with edge call is that it sometimes results in UR or inability to rotate as well, which was in fact the more problematic aspect in Mao Asada's Lutz than the call itself. And one should never use the most lenient standard when factoring the potential risk. Assuming that "e" will carry only -1 is like playing with fire.

Custom Title
    Oh well, at least Takahiko liked Mao's program; here, he says he cried after watching her skate. How cute and sweet is that?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiAzEp-eOvA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2