Kozuka's father talks about Ladies Gold medalist at Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kozuka's father talks about Ladies Gold medalist at Worlds

miki88

Medalist
Sunny0760, I am glad to see that you realize the statement wasn't directly aimed at you (cause it wasn't :)). I was just trying to say that statements comparing the two skaters can be easily used as a way of stirring fan wars. As a result, it is not surprising to see the heated reactions of some of Mao's diehard fans.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
How come Mr. Takahiko doesn't like his future daughter-in-law? Does he know his son has a huge crush on her? :laugh:

babyalligator

On the Ice
^^ lol

What Mr. Kozuka is in the end, is a professional. He separates what is the truth from the emotion, and just says things as he sees them. He's given Mao valid points about what she can improve on. The audience may have known what seems obvious now, but sometimes, the most obvious advice is the advice most hardest to get--especially for a golden child like Mao. I'd really like to see Mr. Kozuka stay as an advisor to her, if not become a coach. I feel like Mao has been drifting, left to deal with too many things on her own, when what she needed and needs most right now, is a firm mentor who can show a direction to help her find herself again.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yeah, actually, that part of the original post seems sort of doubtful. .....

Sure there might be some extremists, but the most reaction that even fans will have is a wry chuckle that Mr. Kozuka's being so impartial, not that that's such a bad thing of course...

I agree. The original post says Kozuka "thread" not "Site (fan site)," "Community (a group at a social-networking service, "mixi")" or "Page/Group (Facebook page/group)." Could that be a 2-ch "thread"? I never go to 2-ch, but hear that it's a the place full of bashing and ugly posts.

Just a thought.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao needs to bring the lutz and salchow back, or at least one of them. A lutz with an edge call is still worth more than a downgraded triple axel and that's what she needs to realize. Also, she should try for a 3-3 with a 3t on the back end of it, as these days 3-3lo combos are VERY hard to get ratified.

wallylutz

Medalist
Mao needs to bring the lutz and salchow back, or at least one of them. A lutz with an edge call is still worth more than a downgraded triple axel and that's what she needs to realize. Also, she should try for a 3-3 with a 3t on the back end of it, as these days 3-3lo combos are VERY hard to get ratified.

Well, a Triple Lutz with an edge call "e" could be worth as little as only 3 points from 6 points of BV minus 3 GOE for "e". Likewise, a downgraded 3A may still be awarded with positive GOE unless the UR is obvious to the judges as well, which means it can worth 3.5 points in BV + X amount in GOE and may end with a total greater than 4 points. Mao Asada also has a tendency to fail to get enough lift from her outside edge and unable to complete the rotations she needs on a Lutz.

As for Mr. Kozuka's comments, they are spot on.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well, a Triple Lutz with an edge call "e" could be worth as little as only 3 points from 6 points of BV minus 3 GOE for "e". Likewise, a downgraded 3A may still be awarded with positive GOE unless the UR is obvious to the judges as well, which means it can worth 3.5 points in BV + X amount in GOE and may end with a total greater than 4 points. Mao Asada also has a tendency to fail to get enough lift from her outside edge and unable to complete the rotations she needs on a Lutz.

As for Mr. Kozuka's comments, they are spot on.

Most edge calls only result in -1 or -2 GOE though

wallylutz

Medalist
Most edge calls only result in -1 or -2 GOE though

No, if it's a "e", it's mostly a -2 up to -3, not -1 and the GOE has to be negative. The problem with edge call is that it sometimes results in UR or inability to rotate as well, which was in fact the more problematic aspect in Mao Asada's Lutz than the call itself. And one should never use the most lenient standard when factoring the potential risk. Assuming that "e" will carry only -1 is like playing with fire.