I'll do my worst ones since I've already done my best ones.
1) Joannie Rochette's mother dying, although that isn't really 'skating'
2) Shawn Sawyer fails to make Olympic team
3) Ryan Bradley breaks his foot and has to skate in pain at Worlds 2010
4) Navarro and Bommentre fail to make Olympic team
5) Brian Joubert implodes at the Olympics
6) Carolina Kostner implodes at the Olympics
7) Nobunari Oda implodes at the Worlds
8) Borodulin's blade breaks at Worlds
9) Oda's skate lace breaks at Olympics (less bad than Borodulin's problem, since it might have been Nobu's fault)
10) Jeremy Abbott implodes in the Olympic SP
Honourable mentions: Verner's Olympic implosion, Chan fails to medal and finishes behind his music there, the pairs final flight minus Pang and Tong, Yu-Na Kim, Akiko Suzuki and Miki Ando in the SP at Worlds
What an awesome season! This will be a hard list to make.
10) Dube & Davison's FS at Nationals
9) Plushenko finally being silenced by Evan Lysacek
8) Weaver & Poje's bronze metal at Skate Canada on home town ice
7) Aliona & Robin's FS at worlds - Wow!
6) The battle between Crone & Poirier and Weaver & Poje at nationals
5) Yu-Na Kim
4) Shen & Zhao's OGM - the perfect end to a perfect career
3) Cynthia's FS at worlds
2) Joannie FINALLY proving to all those who had written her off that she is a champion
1) Virtue & Moir's Olympic FD and gold medal - simply indescribeable!
Dreaming and dancing
I would not make top/worst 10. Just random ordering.
- Mao's great comeback at worlds.
- Mao's three 3As ratified at Oly.
- Mao's little jumps with joy after SP at Oly.
- Caro's comeback at Worlds.
- Akiko's heartfelt performances at her LP.
- Akiko's making Oly team.
- Nob's great GP season.
- Koz's great SP at Worlds.
- Mirai's breakthrough and newly found consistency (except for the falls at Worlds)
- I found Laura's beautiful skating; she's fantastic. Great skating skills.
- Brian's comeback at Worlds (didn't imagine a few years ago that I'd be rooting for him)
- Miki's great performances (didn't imagine a few years ago that I'd be rooting for her)
- Seeing beautiful Johnny at Oly K&C and hearing his commentary
- Great comeback by Dai
- Kanako's happy with Akiko's score at Nationals
- Nob's three popped jumps and not making the final at Worlds
- The first shock when I saw Mao's gloomy music and ugly blue/black costume (Now I like the program and okay with the red costume)
- Verner not showing up at Worlds
- Verner not having a great season
- Caro not having a great season
- Mao's struggle earlier in the season (I recall Tinymavy15 saying that, at the end of the season, we may be laughing for having been pessimistic. I marvel this optimistic insight.)
- Johnny withdrawing from the Worlds
- Nob's lace at Olympics
- Akiko's in the first flight at Worlds LP
- Messy comp in Men's Oly
- Even messier in ladies at Worlds
1. Daisuke's World FS. Quad flip=epic win
2. Jeremy's Nationals FS
3. Pang and Tong's amazing Olympic FS. The look on Tong's face during their final lift was so triumphant. I loved it.
4. Shen and Zhao finally winning Olympic gold. If anyone else had beaten P/T for the Olympic title, I would have been annoyed, because P/T's program was sensational. But S/Z...it's long overdue. They earned it.
5. Savchenko and Szolkowy Skate Canada FS. I've never been a huge fan of them, but the combination of the beautiful music, subtle choreo, and fantastic execution was breathtaking.
6. Denis Ten Skate Canada SP. That kid has got so much potential.
7. Mao Asada Olympic SP and Worlds FS. I know a lot of people had issues with her programs this season, but I loved them. Her SP was whimsical yet powerful and I thought the choreo in her FS, though minimalist, really brought intensity to her skating. And her axels have come a long way.
8. Yu-Na Kim Olympic FS. Never loved that program, but there is no denying that it was flawless.
9. Jamie Sale's expression after M/T's Olympic "Love Story" performance. I know it was hyped by NBC, but I still found it hilarious.
10. Joannie's Olympic SP. That took some guts and it really brought the skating community together around a common cause.
11. Mirai . Basically the whole season. Sure, she UR's a lot. But she'll work on that in the off-season. What she showed, though, is she's got fire and spark and that's something we haven't seen in a US lady for a few seasons.
12. Dube and Davison Nationals FS. I've never seen a program that so accurately portrays love and nostalgia like this one does. There is always so much emotion going into that final combination spin.
13. Kozuka's Rostelecom FS. He never quite delivered this program cleanly, but I think this program was a real stepping stone for him; it was a great balance of the artistry, athleticism and masculinity in his skating and I thought it was great. Just wish he would have nailed it flawlessly...
Last edited by dannyascii; 04-01-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Rooting for the divas with Kwanford
Johnny's Olympics - He rocked more than a tassel! It was so great to see him deliver two clean, emotional programs when he needed to most, esp. since I remember the dull premiere of his SP in Connecticut last summer - he worked that one for all he was worth.
Sasha's return, right up through her SP at Nats - Her drive to come all the way back was stunning. For two or three days, she had the skating world in her hand. A sweet moment indeed.
Shen & Zhao getting their fairy-tale ending. As soon as I find a frame, I'll have a photo on my wall of the moment after they finished their FP, when they knew they'd reached the top of Mount Olympus. He's overcome by tears, she's laughing at him - so beautiful.
Mirai at the Olympics and Worlds SP. Who doesn't love watching the rise of this marvelously gifted, open-hearted, and determined young lady (and her relationship with Frank C)? It's a wonderful thing to see an Olympic moment like hers and know it's just the beginning.
Takahashi - Whole season: overcoming such a huge setback and winning, first, people's hearts, then World Gold. I've admired him since the 2006 Olympics and seen him transform himself into a champion with so much work and humility. Victory couldn't happen to a better skater.
Yu Na at the Olympics - To see her gracious performances was to watch a gold medal spinning on the ice. No one can match her ease and flow.
Pang & Tong, Olympic FP - No one expected this team to deliver a stunning, standing-ovation skate at the Olympics - what a joy. A true Olympic moment!
Mao at Worlds, and 3-3A Olympics - Finally, after such a grim season, she comes out on top. What a fighter! It makes me so excited for her for next season.
Joannie's SP at the Olympics. Simply unbelievable. We saw the spiritual strength under her physical strength.
Tessa & Scott's Mahler FP. High art on ice. (Sorry, Joesitz. ) They bring the class back to ice dance after terrorists, peasants, and cartoon "Injuns" tried to steal it.
Meryl & Charlie's OD - Just a wow of a program, brilliantly conceived and brilliantly performed.
I couldn't get it to 10, and left out so many! It was a wonderful season and shows why the Olympics are so important.
Last edited by Spun Silver; 04-01-2010 at 11:38 AM.
My Top 10:
1) Daisuke winning Worlds, proving quads and artistry do mix
2) Yuna vs. Mao in Paris, Vancouver, and Torino!
3) Joannie's Olympic journey... from her nearly flawless performance at Japan Open to a rocky GP Season to an amazing comeback at Nationals to the courage she displayed in Vancouver. What a ride.
4) Evan's reaction after he won Gold... and the group hug between him, Lori, and S/Z
5) S/Z getting their happy ending
6) Mirai's nosebleed
7) The debut of the Rippon Lutz!
8) Jeremy's FS at Nationals!
9) Scott thanking Tessa after their FD in Vancouver
10) Every Merlie moment!
HMs: Joubert's comeback, Plushy's soundbites after losing to Evan, Sasha's Nationals, Akiko's footwork sequence, Ryan's FS at Nationals, P/T skating the SOTL!