What do skating fans do with no competitive skating till the fall? | Golden Skate

What do skating fans do with no competitive skating till the fall?

aurora100

Final Flight
Is everyone feeling like the way I do. I can't remember anything about how I felt after the 2006 Olympics but I am suffering from major withdrawal after a year of one of the most figure skating year. Right from the GP series start in TEB until the Worlds last week, there has been nothing more exciting than seeing figure skaters show up with their Olympic programs and fighting it out entire season. So many highs and lows.

I went to see the Worlds in LA and Skate America in Lake Placid because short of going to the Olympics, I thought that'd be a preview of some of the Olympic contenders vying for position in preparation for the Olympic podium finish. And it was. Now it's all over and watching the reruns are not the same. So what do the figure skating fans do for 6 months? Is there any other skating events on TV? Any suggestion?:confused::biggrin:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
1) Reminisce about Michelle Kwan
2) Participate in the never-ending flame wars on Youtube
3) Debate about how over/underrated the quad is
4) Swamp the Voting Booth with a deluge of polls
5) Speculate who will make the podium at the 2014 Olympics, the 2018 Olympics, etc
6) Lament about the apparent demise of figure skating as we know it (popular topics may include the death of artistry, the declining technical content, the malevolent influence of CoP, the fact that Michelle Kwan is not competing, etc)

pista04

On the Ice
Personally, I usually switch my focus to gymnastics and track and field (Im a runner) so that could possibly help you. Gymnastic works well, because its a physical art like FS, and is the complete opposite season. =]

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
moderate golden skate
watch tapes of the golden era
pretty much that's it as far as skating related stuff. my focus normally turns to sled dog shows in summer (though this year it looks like I won't be working with the Seavey's as I'm going to be so stressed out with my 'real job' that I don't want to bring that on the dogs on my days off. Will definitely make sure to visit though. And maybe I can help out once in a great while.).

Photography, family, road trips also take up a good chunk of my life come summer!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Talk about what will, won't, should, and what we want to happen next season. I lot of us watch gymnastics. I watch baseball.

Gymgirll

Rinkside
I switch to gymnastics! Well, in fact I've been a gymnast and so gymnastics is usually my favourite sport, so it is more than when there's no gymnastics I switch to skating and then go back to gymnastics.

seniorita

Record Breaker
5) Speculate who will make the podium at the 2014 Olympics, the 2018 Olympics, etc
6) Lament about the apparent demise of figure skating as we know it (popular topics may include the death of artistry, the declining technical content, the malevolent influence of CoP, the fact that Michelle Kwan is not competing, etc)

:laugh::laugh::agree:
and go shopping, sleep at normal hours at last, do pilates to be mentally prepared for the next season.:rolleye: And watch gymnastics!:biggrin:
I also like when we start finding out the new programs although i think this time they will emerge later?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re: skating - rewatch my favorite performances on Youtube! Catch up watching competitions on icenetwork.com (I'm so far behind on that). Skate recreationally at a nearby year round indoor rink. Try to attend the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA ...

Yes, I do other things in the off season too - attend baseball games, outdoor summer concerts, meet up with friends I don't get to see the rest of the year.... etc.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Start following the summer competitions. Broadmoor is the first major one, in June, then Liberty in July, and Lake Placid Ice Dance and the Canadian competitions in August. There are lots of others like the Indy Challenge for Pairs in July, and the Philadelphia and New York City competitions in September.

The GP rosters will be announced in early June, and the first JGP event takes place in August. So it's only a couple of months where there's nothing much going on in the world of figure skating.

I plan to attack a stack of books I've bought over the winter to tide me over the dull days.

jennylovskt

Medalist

:laugh: Yeah! Bring the old topics back from this season, the last season, the last, last season ... , and talk, debate, repeat what we have said again for the 50th time.:biggrin:

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Summers are delicious because they're a vacation from everything (well, almost everything. :biggrin:) Being a skating fan is hard work! I could use a break. ;)

I'll probably keep up with YuNa news and look for montages of all sorts, of all skaters.

But other than that...oh god, the video games, the beaches, chillin' with friends and hangin' with boys, shopping, reading actual books and not textbooks, biking around in the sunshine, ice cream/gelato, dressing up...so much to do that's so much fun. Please, exams, hurry up so summer can come sooner.

jennyszy

Rinkside
i'm putting all my skating tapes on to dvd!!
a lot of work but great to see all the legends ... skating has changed some points are better, some aren't. The new system has bought up the technical side specially steps, but has also made it more calculating and less spontanous!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I switch to gymnsatics as well and kills time in the back yard with gardening. And rewatch the FS on youtube!!
Thank you , 'YOUTUBE', what will we do without you. lol

Wicked

Final Flight
Follow swimming! I'm also trying to sell my house, which is taking up TONS of time.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Not everyone cares - but this summer is the World Cup - and for the first time in Africa.

It is a great sporting event - full of drama, heroics - and like skating - has a fair share of controversy.

I believe this is the most watched sporting event in the world - even if it is never such a big deal in North America.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Not everyone cares - but this summer is the World Cup - and for the first time in Africa.

It is a great sporting event - full of drama, heroics - and like skating - has a fair share of controversy.

I believe this is the most watched sporting event in the world - even if it is never such a big deal in North America.

Soccer?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Personally, I usually switch my focus to gymnastics and track and field (Im a runner) so that could possibly help you. Gymnastic works well, because its a physical art like FS, and is the complete opposite season. =]

ditto that. i also watch and play tennis.