What do skating fans do with no competitive skating till the fall? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What do skating fans do with no competitive skating till the fall?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Club competitions

Work on my own skating

Catch up on events I didn't have time to watch while they were in progress (e.g., Euros)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Soccer this summer.
Fun tidbit: Italia (Carolina) claimed the world cup champion by defeating every single team except one: the U.S.
And wavin' flag, the theme song for the world cup this year, is ridiculously catchy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
work on a project I have going on about folk OD's with an anthropologist friend of mine

moderate Golden Skate

Go to Liberty, take films of the new programs, and share them

Figure out how to afford to go to Nationals

Finish cleaning up the mess in my cellar caused by being flooded to a depth of 3 and one half feet in the recent floods in CT

Do some reading.

Do some sailing.

Try to make it to Lake Placid International Dance Competition to see what the skaters are coming up with to compete under these crazy new rules that the ISU is supposed to pass in June (I don't know how the kids will get ready that fast, I really don't)

aurora100

Final Flight
i'm putting all my skating tapes on to dvd!!
a lot of work but great to see all the legends ... skating has changed some points are better, some aren't. The new system has bought up the technical side specially steps, but has also made it more calculating and less spontanous!

Funny you say that. I recorded Olympic Games in VCR and when I put FIGURE SKATING only into DVD, I shrunk 8 hr tape into 2 hr!

I think this is much more productive than you tubing. There is so many negative stuff there about figure skaters, in video and comments. Thank GOD GS monitors posts and no obscene language allowed. Thank you GS and all the posters for talking about figure skating all the time even if I don't agree with you all the time !!!

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Go to the arena, watch my kids skate; look at photo galleries of last year with my DD to help design a new skating costume; watch youtube and other skating videos with DS and DD to show them really neat spins and stuff to add into their programs ... pay the coaches bills and all of the other costs associated with being a skating parent ... recognize that summer doesn't mean VACATION it means MORE TIME TO TRAIN AND SKATE ... sigh.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Go to the arena, watch my kids skate; look at photo galleries of last year with my DD to help design a new skating costume; watch youtube and other skating videos with DS and DD to show them really neat spins and stuff to add into their programs ... pay the coaches bills and all of the other costs associated with being a skating parent ... recognize that summer doesn't mean VACATION it means MORE TIME TO TRAIN AND SKATE ... sigh.

Good luck, CdnSkateWatcher! And have a wonderful time! Figure skating future needs the skating moms like you.:):agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Catch up with all the work I failed to do while watching live streaming of the Olympics and Worlds on my computer. :)

Clearly, I have to attend make-up classes at YouTube University so I can understand more about the subtleties of skating technique. Some of you guys leave me in the dust when it comes to understanding of jump layouts and approaches and whatnot. Maybe by then the ISU will let the Olympic programs be posted, so I can watch the sublime final flight of the ladies again, and Virtue and Moir's Mahler final, and Shen and Zhao's short program, and Takahashi's and Lambiel's short programs, and...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe by then the ISU will let the Olympic programs be posted, so I can watch the sublime final flight of the ladies again, and Virtue and Moir's Mahler final, and Shen and Zhao's short program, and Takahashi's and Lambiel's short programs, and...

I sent you pm:)

I forgot the World Cup this summer! Wow busy summer it will be. I m a football fan!:biggrin:

And I almost bought the Youtube university, i thought it was a new feature of youtube:scowl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Clearly, I have to attend make-up classes at YouTube University so I can understand more about the subtleties of skating technique. Some of you guys leave me in the dust when it comes to understanding of jump layouts and approaches and whatnot. Maybe by then the ISU will let the Olympic programs be posted, so I can watch the sublime final flight of the ladies again, and Virtue and Moir's Mahler final, and Shen and Zhao's short program, and Takahashi's and Lambiel's short programs, and...

Speaking of YouTube university...
The nice folks at the Italian tv station posted all the highlights of the World championships here: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaRiservaSkating2#p/p/A703AF3C8A135493/21/cgSfNuhNESI
If you can take the chatter, it's actually really good stuff.

Jhar55

Medalist
Aurora100, how do you put your VCR tapes into DVD? Do you have to have special equipment?

aurora100

Final Flight

YESSSSSSS Let us start a campaign to allow Oly performances on You Tube. It's nuts we can't post those. SO many of 2010 Olympic programs are worth watching over and over and it's so much easier to watch on You Tube than lugging DVD's around.

aurora100

Final Flight
Aurora100, how do you put your VCR tapes into DVD? Do you have to have special equipment?

I bought a $150 Toshiba VCR and DVD player machine and it does dubbing. I bought it at a local store called Audiotronics in Canada, which is similar to Source or Radio Shack in the US. Best Buy (do you have those in the US? ) should have them too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I bought a $150 Toshiba VCR and DVD player machine and it does dubbing. I bought it at a local store called Audiotronics in Canada, which is similar to Source or Radio Shack in the US. Best Buy (do you have those in the US? ) should have them too.

Yes we have Best Buy! Hey the Best Buy in my town used to be a Future Shop! I know that's way off topic, but I thought you would appreciate that Canadian trivia question. :)