Anyone else getting pop ups | Golden Skate

Anyone else getting pop ups

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've started getting a few popups on Golden Skate. Don't know why and wondered if anyone else was?:\

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have the google toolbar installed -- it blocks out most pop-ups.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Paula's not into doing pop ups... it could be your internet provider... there are times when I am online, not on a website at all, and I get pop ups

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have add/subtract, it takes care of that problem.

GrGranny, there is a pretty good chance that these are caused not by the web sites that you are visiting, but by little "ad-ware" programs that have been planted on your own computer. I recently installed a program called "Ad-aware" which finds these little bugs and gets rid of them. The first time I ran it there were 17 files on my computer that did nothing but every so often send to me various commercial websites trying to sell me things.

You can get it for free from

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Click on "download products" and select Ad-aware 6 (that's the free one. There are fancier programs, but you have to pay for them).

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeay finally!!! someone knows where to go to get rid of these things! LOL

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I recently installed an "ad-ware" type of program, only I paid for mine..........it was I think $17.95........they gave me a month trial for free and their program really worked..........42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thanks, I tried the other day and hope it goes ok. My provider, Cox Cable, had something called 86 that is free and haven't received any pop ups yet. Of course, I haven't actually been on the internet much so far.

Another source of infection, if you just got a new computer, is the computer manufacturer itself. If you have a Hewlett Packard, Compaq or Dell computer, it probably came with a program called Backweb (or BackwebLite) already installed. This program records all of the internet sites that you visit and sends the information to various advertising groups so they can make a profile of you and send you ads for products that they think you might be interested in.

They say they are doing you a favor, because you are going to be bombarded by spam anyway, it might as well be something that you might actually want to buy.

You can (and should) delete it (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs).

Mathman

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Ad-aware is a great thing!!

My only warning is if you have Kazaa on your computer to download music, Ad-aware thinks some its files are bad. If you delete the files named "Cydoor", Kazaa willl not run.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thanks for the replies. I am planning to do as Mathman's last suggestion except will have to wait. My brother in law died and the funeral is in N E Nebr. Fri.