Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suguri found sponsors, will continue to skate

More power to her for going for another season! With Granny retired, Fumie will take the role as Granny next season!

Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    More power to her for going for another season! With Granny retired, Fumie will take the role as Granny next season!
    Yes, but maybe Diva Fumie deserves this title - "Grand Dame" of skating.

And Julia will forever be "Granny" so let's give Fumie her own title.

And besides, she still looks like a teenager to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Good for her! I wonder if Akikkio plans on staying around. I think she will, but if not then Surguri might have a good chance at making the world team next year.
    I think Akiko will probably stay since she seems to be on the upswing, even though she bombed the SP at Worlds. Fumie could probably beat her if she bombs again. Right now I have no preference really for either Akiko or Fumie.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00020-maip-spo
    Fumie chose her sponsor out of more than ten offers. She says she's truly happy and wants to compete at next worlds and Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Fumie chose her sponsor out of more than ten offers. She says she's truly happy and wants to compete at next worlds and Sochi.
    I'm truly happy for Fumie! I hope she does well next season!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Sochi? At age 32? Well, all the power to her. Maybe Mao will continue to skate into her 30s too. It seems like the Japanese ladies skaters are all uber dedicated to the sport (Fumie, Mao, Miki certainly appear to be).

Custom Title
    I'm glad that Mao, Miki and Fumie are continuing to skate competitively. There has not been a lot of breakout junior ladies from Japan as they had in the past, maybe with the exception of Kanako and Haruka. I have a feeling the men's program is going to stronger in this cycle. They have a lot more talented skaters. I'm assuming Oda and Kozuka will continue on to Sochi and I think Takahashi has the potential to find that competitive fire to continue on, too. In addition, Hanyu (who I feel is the most talented 15 year old skater I've ever seen), Machida, Nakamura and Mura.

Suguri contributes to the public recoginition of the company

In Japanese
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000486-yom-spo

A Yahoo article titled, "What is Yoshindo that supports Fumie Suguri?," that introduces the background and the head of the company.

This is what I see as a win-win situation. She is marketable and has that name. Despite all those bashing that put down on her, her sponsorship issues made the top news of Yahoo Japan after all.

I hope that she learns business manners in the Sunny Sideup Company where she'll work for the division of promotion of sports or something.

She's professional to the core as a skater (no complaints, no excuses, determination, self-responsibility, great discipline, and gratitudes to those who support her).

But she comes across as not extremely well in business manners in organizations yet. I get such an impression when I see her commentate. I hope she retires from commentating, focus on her regular job and skating, and later when she retires from competing career, she could come back both as an ex-skater and a business woman who can commentate in more tactful manners.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    What do you mean by business manners?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    What do you mean by business manners?
    Business etiquette in Japan is pretty strict and it's geared towards group harmony. You have to read between lines, behave extremely humbly and respectfully, and be sensitive and considerate to all that's involved. Her comments sometimes come across as a bit naive and immature in these aspects, IMO.
    Last edited by Bennett; 04-10-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2