Suguri found sponsors, will continue to skate | Golden Skate

Suguri found sponsors, will continue to skate

Trewyn

Medalist
I can't read the article, but that's great news. I personally think Suguri could have a great carreer as a show skater; but she may not get a lot of opportunities having never won a World Championship title or anything. But I loved her Ein Wiener Waltzer ex; very entertaining. With Mao and Miki continuing; Akiko Suzuki hopefully continuing as well and Kanako Murakami presumably going to seniors this year, it looks like it might be very hard for her to make the World team... But she should definitely get some GP invites (hopefully 2)...

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Good news! Fumie becomes an employee of a management company. This company doen't become her sponser, but Fumie says more than 10 companies offered her support. She has already selected several companies as a prospective sponsor and will make a final decision within this month.

Fumie is setting the present goal for the podium of the next Worlds, and also seeking the possibility for Sochi.

As for the training environment, according to this article, Fumie's new coarch is Noriko Sato, who was an ice dancer. Their base will be Sin-yokohama.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20100401037.html

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good news! Fumie becomes an employee of a management company. This company doen't become her sponser, but Fumie says more than 10 companies offered her support. She has already selected several companies as a prospective sponsor and will make a final decision within this month.

Fumie is setting the present goal for the podium of the next Worlds, and also seeking the possibility for the Sochi.

As for the training enviromental, according to this article, Fumie's new coarch is Noriko Sato, who was an ice dancer. Thier base will be Sin-yokohama.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20100401037.html

Thank you for the update. Very good news for Fumie.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Fumie is setting the present goal for the podium of the next Worlds, and also seeking the possibility for Sochi.

While I´m glad for Suguri finding sponsors I kind of feel sad for her. Isn´t it time for her to hang up the skates for eligible competing? She is 29 now and will be 30 in 2011 Worlds and would be 34 in Sochi... It seems to me that there is so much talent in Japanese ladies discipline already in this moment, that it would be really difficult for Suguri to get a slot even for next year´s Worlds.

LOL, I find it hard to believe that this isn´t an April Fool´s joke...

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
While I´m glad for Suguri finding sponsors I kind of feel sad for her. Isn´t it time for her to hang up the skates for eligible competing? She is 29 now and will be 30 in 2011 Worlds and would be 34 in Sochi... It seems to me that there is so much talent in Japanese ladies discipline already in this moment, that it would be really difficult for Suguri to get a slot even for next year´s Worlds.

She's 29 NOW. 29 AFTER the Olympics.
By the next Olympics, I'm almost certain she'll be 33. What's with all the crazy math? :laugh:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
while i´m glad for suguri finding sponsors i kind of feel sad for her. Isn´t it time for her to hang up the skates for eligible competing? She is 29 now and will be 30 in 2011 worlds and would be 34 in sochi... It seems to me that there is so much talent in japanese ladies discipline already in this moment, that it would be really difficult for suguri to get a slot even for next year´s worlds.

Lol, i find it hard to believe that this isn´t an april fool´s joke...
[/i]
I admire Fumie for continuing. It takes a lot of determination and discipline to keep on practicing as a competitive skater. She could just easily retire and enjoy her life. But I guess she really loves this sports. Well, her body still looked like 20 years old , so with Ms. Sato and proper training, I am sure she will be able to compete really well. Who knows, she may be able to put her name on the guiness book as the oldest female to mdeal in the Olympic!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Good for her! I wonder if Akikkio plans on staying around. I think she will, but if not then Surguri might have a good chance at making the world team next year.

ARipp42014

Medalist
More power to her for going for another season! With Granny retired, Fumie will take the role as Granny next season!

janetfan

Match Penalty
More power to her for going for another season! With Granny retired, Fumie will take the role as Granny next season!

Yes, but maybe Diva Fumie deserves this title - "Grand Dame" of skating. :)

And Julia will forever be "Granny" so let's give Fumie her own title.

And besides, she still looks like a teenager to me :biggrin:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Good for her! I wonder if Akikkio plans on staying around. I think she will, but if not then Surguri might have a good chance at making the world team next year.

I think Akiko will probably stay since she seems to be on the upswing, even though she bombed the SP at Worlds. Fumie could probably beat her if she bombs again. Right now I have no preference really for either Akiko or Fumie.