Team Mao: potential plans | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Team Mao: potential plans

☆Genie

Rinkside
I want her 3-3 back, it has so much softness in it. And her jumps seems to have a lot more flow out of it now.

rtureck

Final Flight
When I said "be humble", I meant "be ready to start from the beginning". I read a post in another forum that one of the reasons Mao changed the coach to Tarasova was that Rafael was going over basic techniques with Mao. And Mao and her mom thought that wasn't necessary. If this was true, obviously that was a bad decision in Mao's part.

"If that was true"?? You don'tknow, no one knows. Arutunian vs TT?? TT has OGMs in 3 out of 4 disciplines, so why was it a poor choice of coach. BTW, when ARutunian was working with Mao, he did not try to fix her flutz, she didn't have a lutz back then.
Maybe after not so successful seasons in Mao's point of view, perhaps she'll be more willing to comb through the basics.
Do you know for a fact that Mao refused to comb through the basics? You are talking as if that is true. I see that in the past 2 yrs she had 3 major thing to fix, and she /coach chose one the 3A. You are making a condlusion tht Mao was unwilling to fix her flutz that was why so left Arutunian. Do you have a reliable source? I still don't see how you can make a huge jump from "if that was true" to "perhaps she will be more willing to comb through the basics"

miki88 said:
That's weird. I heard that Rafael was someone who was against the new system, at least at that time. That was why he didn't do anything about Mao's flutz while she was with him. It doesn't make sense that Mao refused because the first thing she did under TAT was to fix the flutz

I don't know what was Arutunian's reason for not fixing the flutz when she was with him, but I clearly remember the TV commentators quoted Arutunian that "he was not puttinjg flutz as priority.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker

aurora100

Final Flight
Wow! She did a 3-3! And Mao's ability to rotate is still by far the best of any skater in the world. She just needs a bit more speed now! :agree:

Geesh, if she were truly "by far the best of any skater in the world" she wouldn't need "a bit more speed now", would she?

hurrah

Medalist
Geesh, if she were truly "by far the best of any skater in the world" she wouldn't need "a bit more speed now", would she?

I said, her ability to rotate was by far the best. There are other skaters who have the ability to achieve more speed going into and out of a jump, thus enabling a jump that's wider. But, in terms of rotation ability, she's simply gifted, in terms of physique and coordination capability. She just needs strength.

jian10

Rinkside
"If that was true"?? You don'tknow, no one knows. Arutunian vs TT?? TT has OGMs in 3 out of 4 disciplines, so why was it a poor choice of coach. BTW, when ARutunian was working with Mao, he did not try to fix her flutz, she didn't have a lutz back then.

Do you know for a fact that Mao refused to comb through the basics? You are talking as if that is true. I see that in the past 2 yrs she had 3 major thing to fix, and she /coach chose one the 3A. You are making a condlusion tht Mao was unwilling to fix her flutz that was why so left Arutunian. Do you have a reliable source? I still don't see how you can make a huge jump from "if that was true" to "perhaps she will be more willing to comb through the basics"

I don't know what was Arutunian's reason for not fixing the flutz when she was with him, but I clearly remember the TV commentators quoted Arutunian that "he was not puttinjg flutz as priority.

:banging: You still don't understand what I meant. I'm done talking to you.:disapp:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I said, her ability to rotate was by far the best. There are other skaters who have the ability to achieve more speed going into and out of a jump, thus enabling a jump that's wider. But, in terms of rotation ability, she's simply gifted, in terms of physique and coordination capability. She just needs strength.

That's interesting. Could you please elaborate on the physique and coordination capability part.

hurrah

Medalist
That's interesting. Could you please elaborate on the physique and coordination capability part.

Physique part is her slim frame, but particularly her pelvis. Coordination capability is just that. Her ability to coordinate all parts of her body in unison. Of course, all top skaters have coordination, but Mao is really gifted, well demonstrated by her use of fan during her exhibition. Because she makes it seem so effortless, most people do not realize how difficult it is to skate with a fan.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Physique part is her slim frame, but particularly her pelvis. Coordination capability is just that. Her ability to coordinate all parts of her body in unison. Of course, all top skaters have coordination, but Mao is really gifted, well demonstrated by her use of fan during her exhibition. Because she makes it seem so effortless, most people do not realize how difficult it is to skate with a fan.

Sorry, I still don't get what you mean by "her ability to coordinate all parts of her body in unison." Do you mean she can employ all parts of her body and maximize efficiency by channeling every move into one jump? I don't get what Caprice has to do with that then. Caprice would have more to do with separate parts of her body capable of performing disparate tasks. I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking, but I don't see how Mao's great body coordination ties in with her jumping. Like I've mentioned before, her air position is off. Her body moves separately. Her head and upper body rotate faster than her lower body and feet, probably because her jump is initiated by torque centered around her head. When she's off, I've seen her upper body rotate three times, while her lower body rotates far less*. Compare photos of her in-air with those of other skaters. Her face is twisted to the side, while other skaters' faces are alligned with their shoulders and feet. Some skaters do jump like that. Most don't.

*Here's an example: http://www.nemopan.com/board/2190240/page/files/attach/images/29533/240/190/002/3.gif I wish I could post a Youtube video, but YT is blocked in China.

I'm sorry I have to criticize Mao so much, but really her jumps constitute my least favorite part of her skating. They are great, but very far from perfect.

hurrah

Medalist
Sorry, I still don't get what you mean by "her ability to coordinate all parts of her body in unison." Do you mean she can employ all parts of her body and maximize efficiency by channeling every move into one jump? I don't get what Caprice has to do with that then. Caprice would have more to do with separate parts of her body capable of performing disparate tasks. I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking, but I don't see how Mao's great body coordination ties in with her jumping. Like I've mentioned before, her air position is off. Her body moves separately. Her head and upper body rotate faster than her lower body and feet, probably because her jump is initiated by torque centered around her head. When she's off, I've seen her upper body rotate three times, while her lower body rotates far less*. Compare photos of her in-air with those of other skaters. Her face is twisted to the side, while other skaters' faces are alligned with their shoulders and feet. Some skaters do jump like that. Most don't.

Well, there's only so much any one person can 'naturally' do when it involves doing an 'unnatural' physical feat as ice skate jumping. With such types of physical movements, it has to be taught/learnt, and Mao unfortunately has never been coached by someone who has shown her the exactly right way, particularly when it comes to the flip and lutz. However, given her coordination abilities, as long as she is taught where exactly her arms and legs and body center and everything else should be at what timing of the jump, she'll learn it. It's also probably the case that she has yet to acquire the muscular strength to jump at the right timing without risking injury. But that again, she'll gain those muscles given the right training regimen.

At least, I hope so. Time will tell.

robinhood

Rinkside
I don't know much about the technique and physicalities of jumping as you do, guys but one thing about Mao's jumps I like is her air positions. I find them beautiful. then, I cringe for the flip entrance now and she seems to have the same take off for the loop as Akiko, a tad long telegraphing (?)... sorry if I'm not correct, just my opinion as a viewer without many technical knowledge

Barb

Record Breaker

*Here's an example: http://www.nemopan.com/board/2190240/page/files/attach/images/29533/240/190/002/3.gif I wish I could post a Youtube video, but YT is blocked in China.

I'm sorry I have to criticize Mao so much, but really her jumps constitute my least favorite part of her skating. They are great, but very far from perfect.

aesthetically Mao has the most beautiful jumps. I hope that it wont change.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I don't know who will become her jump coach.

It's happy to find the fact that her jumping problems has been improving to me and to see her
3F-3Lo :love:, which we've been waiting for.
the reason I feel so may be I can look it from front, her 3F is beautiful and very delayed. As what I'm sorry is not seeing her foot, I don't know she really rotate it clearly. Though it looks okay to me.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
At least, I hope so. Time will tell.

I hope so too. I can't take away anything else from her skating. It's just her jumps. I'm very picky about jumps, toe jumps in particular, and judge all jumps against perfection. Most of my favorites are those who have precision and great strength and speed when they leep into a lutz or a flip. Caro K in her prime (2005, 2007 SP) was one of my favorites. Her jumps were :love:

rtureck

Final Flight
aesthetically Mao has the most beautiful jumps. I hope that it wont change.
WEll COP does not award aesthetics. Tara mentioned that Mao's ankle is double jointed or something like that, so she completes all the rotation in the air, but because of her ankel, when she lands on ice someitmes it is short of rotation.

Anyway Peggy mentioned once that a lot of Japanese lady skaters have huge spring and fast rotation to their jumps, she was making comment on Fumie specifially at the time

hurrah

Medalist
WEll COP does not award aesthetics. Tara mentioned that Mao's ankle is double jointed or something like that, so she completes all the rotation in the air, but because of her ankel, when she lands on ice someitmes it is short of rotation.

Really? I didn't know that! Actually, I don't know what having double-jointed ankles would mean, but I guess you have more flexible ankles? In which case, maybe it's like a double-edged sword. Maybe you can get more spring if you have more flexible ankles, but... how would that affect one's landing? (I'm not being antagonistic. I'm just interested in knowing what having double-jointed ankles would mean to a skater.)