Team Mao: potential plans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Mao: potential plans

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
PLEEEEEEEEASE PLEASE Mao, do not use have TAT as a choreographer. She is a great choreographer and you are a great skater, but TAT is not a good match for you. Pleeeeeeeeeease go back to Lori Nichol !!!!!!!!

one of the article that posted a couple days ago on yahoo japan says they plans to ask tat either her sp or lp choreograph. i think mao with tat work sp or ex better than lp.

yes,i love lori's programs, but personally i want to see the programs by lea ann miller :love:
remember her 2004-2005 season's both sp and lp,over the rainbow and La Boutique Fantastique, were fantastic;)

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I am also a little skeptical about this idea of several coaches for Mao. I would like that she can get advice and tips from several different people but I want the head coach to work closely with Mao and not just end up giving directions to assistants, becaue that's what happened this season with TAT.

Bennett

Record Breaker
The new coach will be in Japan (hopefully in Nagoya, not Tokyo). And it sounds like they want to have several prominent ppl on the team and they would not be just "assistant" coaches who get directions from the main coach. I wish if they had started to have tech coaches as soon as she split with RA whereas having TAT as a long-distance main choreographer/coach.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I am also a little skeptical about this idea of several coaches for Mao. I would like that she can get advice and tips from several different people but I want the head coach to work closely with Mao and not just end up giving directions to assistants, becaue that's what happened this season with TAT.

though the whole translation doesn't post here, according to the article, they look for not only several coaches for their major but also a head coach. so i guess if this plan is going to carry it out, relation with mao and coaches will seem like mirai a few years ago (when she was with charlene)

aurora100

Final Flight
one of the article that posted a couple days ago on yahoo japan says they plans to ask tat either her sp or lp choreograph. i think mao with tat work sp or ex better than lp.

yes,i love lori's programs, but personally i want to see the programs by lea ann miller :love:
remember her 2004-2005 season's both sp and lp,over the rainbow and La Boutique Fantastique, were fantastic;)

Yeh Lea Ann Miller, I can go with that. TAT took Ilia Kulik and Alexei Yagudin to Olympic Gold Medal. That worked for them beautiful, they were powerful and grand and I don't want to sound sexiest but it works for Men's style of skating. Come to think of it, Mao skated sort of like them in Vancouver, except for the missed jumps. But that is not the right style for her or for any woman I would think. Mao's issues is not just about getting a fuller repertoire of jumps back and getting triple triples. Her bigger problem was her choreo. She needs a choreo that brings the best out of her, not impose something else on her. Choreo is so important. TAT continuing with her choreo won't get her to the top.

I know I am baniging my head against a wall. :banging::banging::banging: I have a feeling Mao just really likes Russian style of skating and she wants to master it and if she just gets the jumps it will work. Hello Mao. You did two perfect programs in Torino, and got second in SP and LP. Doesn't that tell you anything? I just watched her SP from 2007 Worlds. Even with a mistaken, that was heavenly. I can only dream, that light ballerina skater could come back to life in competition.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeh Lea Ann Miller, I can go with that. TAT took Ilia Kulik and Alexei Yagudin to Olympic Gold Medal. That worked for them beautiful, they were powerful and grand and I don't want to sound sexiest but it works for Men's style of skating. Come to think of it, Mao skated sort of like them in Vancouver, except for the missed jumps. But that is not the right style for her or for any woman I would think. Mao's issues is not just about getting a fuller repertoire of jumps back and getting triple triples. Her bigger problem was her choreo. She needs a choreo that brings the best out of her, not impose something else on her. Choreo is so important. TAT continuing with her choreo won't get her to the top.

I know I am baniging my head against a wall. :banging::banging::banging: I have a feeling Mao just really likes Russian style of skating and she wants to master it and if she just gets the jumps it will work. Hello Mao. You did two perfect programs in Torino, and got second in SP and LP. Doesn't that tell you anything? I just watched her SP from 2007 Worlds. Even with a mistaken, that was heavenly. I can only dream, that light ballerina skater could come back to life in competition.

Interesting about Tat and heavy Russian style working for men. Could we also say it was in the 6.0 era and not under CoP when this happened? I think Mao's 3A's would have been worth more to 6.0 judges.

Also somebody might remind Mao about how many Russian women have won OGM's?
And WC's? Not so many and perhaps there are reasons for that.

miki88

Medalist
TAT is capable of choreographing great programs. Ladies in Lavender SP was a great one. "Winter" is so much better than "Bells". It was dramatic but the drama had an impact not like the empty feeling left by "Bells". The good thing is that Mao is leaning towards softer and calmer music next season and that TAT may be choreographing one program but someone else will choreograph the other one. A little variety is good.

janetfan

Match Penalty
TAT is capable of choreographing great programs. Ladies in Lavender SP was a great one. "Winter" is so much better than "Bells". It was dramatic but the drama had an impact not like the empty feeling left by "Bells". The good thing is that Mao is leaning towards softer and calmer music next season and that TAT may be choreographing one program but someone else will choreograph the other one. A little variety is good.

A little variety in the music wouldn't hurt either ;) :biggrin:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Interesting about Tat and heavy Russian style working for men. Could we also say it was in the 6.0 era and not under CoP when this happened? I think Mao's 3A's would have been worth more to 6.0 judges.

Mao 3A would have been worth a lot more under the 6.0 system.
Both Tara and Kristi have said something along the line, "She has a triple axel, how do you compete with that?" "It's all about the triple axel" "What could I do that can compete with the triple axel"
Both girls have 3-3 and yet, they both think technically the triple axel is a far greater achievement.

Midori was the first to do a 3-3, but the wow factor wasn't even close to her 3A. And Midori's 3-3 would have gotten +3 GOE today. The height, the flow, the speed, the delay rotation, the transition Ina B into her 3-3.

sunny0760

On the Ice
though the whole translation doesn't post here, according to the article, they look for not only several coaches for their major but also a head coach. so i guess if this plan is going to carry it out, relation with mao and coaches will seem like mirai a few years ago (when she was with charlene)

The strongest team consisted of a head coach and Several coaches. Each of the coaches, as an expert of specific part, should be the best coach available in Japan and the most responsible head coach always sticks to Mao coordinating everything, leading other coaches. This seems to the grand plan. Like all the national support toward a single skater.
Can you find another example in history? Would be work?

Ren

On the Ice
Each of the coaches, as an expert of specific part, should be the best coach available in Japan and the most responsible head coach always sticks to Mao coordinating everything, leading other coaches. This seems to the grand plan. Like all the national support toward a single skater.
Can you find another example in history? Would be work?

Well, I suppose you could look at Yu-Na's team. In a December 2007 IFS article "Yu Na Kim: The Best Is Yet To Come", it was mentioned that former Dutch national champion Astrid Shrubb was working with her on her spins, while former ice dancer Tracy Wilson helped Yu-Na on "stroking skills, expression and all-around ability." David Wilson served as her choreographer, of course, and I suppose Brian Orser oversaw everything (as primary coach), including the jumps. She also has a personal trainer/physiotherapist? (Because those old injuries of hers will always be there...) I don't know if Yu-Na still has the same people in her team (aside from David and Brian) today, but looking at Yu-Na's two latest seasons, this strategy has worked very well for her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, I suppose you could look at Yu-Na's team. In a December 2007 IFS article "Yu Na Kim: The Best Is Yet To Come", it was mentioned that former Dutch national champion Astrid Shrubb was working with her on her spins, while former ice dancer Tracy Wilson helped Yu-Na on "stroking skills, expression and all-around ability." David Wilson served as her choreographer, of course, and I suppose Brian Orser oversaw everything (as primary coach), including the jumps. She also has a personal trainer/physiotherapist? (Because those old injuries of hers will always be there...) I don't know if Yu-Na still has the same people in her team (aside from David and Brian) today, but looking at Yu-Na's two latest seasons, this strategy has worked very well for her.

Yuna has also gone to where these people coach and train skaters - the Cricket Club. She sees them all the time and has a steady training routine under Orser's watchful eye. When Yuna needs to tweak her choreo Wison is never far away. What does Mao do? Tat is in Russia and Mao does not speak Russian. Apparently Mao has her own rink but her main coach is not there. And from what it sounds like he/she still won't be there.

It must be nice to have your own rink - but as far as competitive skating goes - it is probably better to have a top, full time coach training you 5-6 days a week.

Advantage to Cricket Club and Yuna.

sunny0760

On the Ice

I didn't know that. But did Shrubb or Wilson's job last for at least an year as Yuna's coaches?
Are therapists etc the relevant example here? I think many other skaters have also got some help from various trainers etc.

This is all assumption and nobody knows how things will be done but I think the main coach and a bunch of elite coaches for Mao would be quite new. They are supposed to be all Japanese who already know each other very well. They might continue their job together more or less until Sochi. Of course, if necessary, there is a possibility that other people are temporarily invited to Mao's rink from various parts of world. More than likely, there will be more than one choreographers and TAT may be one of them.

Anyway, all the people's cooperation and harmony and the main coach's leadership will matter.

Ren

On the Ice
I didn't know that. But did Shrubb or Wilson's job last for at least an year as Yuna's coaches?
Are therapists etc the relevant example here? I think many other skaters have also got some help from various trainers etc.

This is all assumption and nobody knows how things will be done but I think the main coach and a bunch of elite coaches for Mao would be quite new. They are supposed to be all Japanese who already know each other very well. They might continue their job together more or less until Sochi. Of course, if necessary, there is a possibility that other people are temporarily invited to Mao's rink from various parts of world. More than likely, there will be more than one choreographers and TAT may be one of them.

Anyway, all the people's cooperation and harmony and the main coach's leadership will matter.

As for Shrubb or (Tracy) Wilson lasting for at least a year, I honestly don't know. The article was published in December of 2007; Yu-Na started training with Orser in, what, the summer of 2006? So maybe they did.

Maybe I'm bad at explaining things, but I just cited Yu-Na's situation as a good example of how a team with good strategy and a good head (Orser) can help. I was focusing more on how different people (spin coach, choreographer, therapist) all work together under the guidance of the main coach as a cohesive whole. I'm sure there are other skaters with such strategies/teams. It's just that Yu-Na's is the one I'm most familiar with. As for including the trainer/therapist, the person's not an elite coach, but in my book, an important member of the team, too, because of the help in managing the pain from Yu-Na's injury, consequently helping her be competitive at world level. I was thinking more in terms of teamwork...

I'm sorry, I should have paid better attention to your previous post about elite coaches (My bad). In that case, I'm woefully ignorant of a skater or skaters upon whom a lot of such resources are focused on. If this is going to be the case with Mao, it will certainly be big news.

I think this proposal (coaches pitching in with their specific field of expertise) has a good chance to work, as long as they follow your last remark about cooperation and harmony, and the leadership of the head coach.

Is Mao's rink or location a training hub? With lots of prospective coaches?

aurora100

Final Flight

I actually think if 2010 Olympics was under 6.0 system, Mao would not have gotten even silver. After that long program filled with mistakes, Joanne would have gotten silver. It's the points Mao garnered in short that helped her to get silver.

aurora100

Final Flight
Mao 3A would have been worth a lot more under the 6.0 system.
Both Tara and Kristi have said something along the line, "She has a triple axel, how do you compete with that?" "It's all about the triple axel" "What could I do that can compete with the triple axel"
Both girls have 3-3 and yet, they both think technically the triple axel is a far greater achievement.

Midori was the first to do a 3-3, but the wow factor wasn't even close to her 3A. And Midori's 3-3 would have gotten +3 GOE today. The height, the flow, the speed, the delay rotation, the transition Ina B into her 3-3.

Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. Midori's 3-3 was nothing compared to the distance and height Yuna carries. No way under the sun she would have gotten +3. And her ugly wrapped legs in her humps, please. I am sorry. We live on a different figure skating planet. I do respect your views. I just strongly strongly disagree.

Doings a second triple as high and travel as much distance as the first triple is an enormous accomplishment. Even men have a hard time doing that. There is a reason why Mao does not get a high GOE from her 3A. she doesn't have the speed and distance coming out of her 3A. Anyway, we will not agree and I don't expect that. I just need to say it.

Last edited: