Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Mao: potential plans

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Each of the coaches, as an expert of specific part, should be the best coach available in Japan and the most responsible head coach always sticks to Mao coordinating everything, leading other coaches. This seems to the grand plan. Like all the national support toward a single skater.
    Can you find another example in history? Would be work?
    Well, I suppose you could look at Yu-Na's team. In a December 2007 IFS article "Yu Na Kim: The Best Is Yet To Come", it was mentioned that former Dutch national champion Astrid Shrubb was working with her on her spins, while former ice dancer Tracy Wilson helped Yu-Na on "stroking skills, expression and all-around ability." David Wilson served as her choreographer, of course, and I suppose Brian Orser oversaw everything (as primary coach), including the jumps. She also has a personal trainer/physiotherapist? (Because those old injuries of hers will always be there...) I don't know if Yu-Na still has the same people in her team (aside from David and Brian) today, but looking at Yu-Na's two latest seasons, this strategy has worked very well for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    Well, I suppose you could look at Yu-Na's team. In a December 2007 IFS article "Yu Na Kim: The Best Is Yet To Come", it was mentioned that former Dutch national champion Astrid Shrubb was working with her on her spins, while former ice dancer Tracy Wilson helped Yu-Na on "stroking skills, expression and all-around ability." David Wilson served as her choreographer, of course, and I suppose Brian Orser oversaw everything (as primary coach), including the jumps. She also has a personal trainer/physiotherapist? (Because those old injuries of hers will always be there...) I don't know if Yu-Na still has the same people in her team (aside from David and Brian) today, but looking at Yu-Na's two latest seasons, this strategy has worked very well for her.
    Yuna has also gone to where these people coach and train skaters - the Cricket Club. She sees them all the time and has a steady training routine under Orser's watchful eye. When Yuna needs to tweak her choreo Wison is never far away. What does Mao do? Tat is in Russia and Mao does not speak Russian. Apparently Mao has her own rink but her main coach is not there. And from what it sounds like he/she still won't be there.

It must be nice to have your own rink - but as far as competitive skating goes - it is probably better to have a top, full time coach training you 5-6 days a week.

Advantage to Cricket Club and Yuna.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    I didn't know that. But did Shrubb or Wilson's job last for at least an year as Yuna's coaches?
    Are therapists etc the relevant example here? I think many other skaters have also got some help from various trainers etc.

This is all assumption and nobody knows how things will be done but I think the main coach and a bunch of elite coaches for Mao would be quite new. They are supposed to be all Japanese who already know each other very well. They might continue their job together more or less until Sochi. Of course, if necessary, there is a possibility that other people are temporarily invited to Mao's rink from various parts of world. More than likely, there will be more than one choreographers and TAT may be one of them.

Anyway, all the people's cooperation and harmony and the main coach's leadership will matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    I didn't know that. But did Shrubb or Wilson's job last for at least an year as Yuna's coaches?
    Are therapists etc the relevant example here? I think many other skaters have also got some help from various trainers etc.

This is all assumption and nobody knows how things will be done but I think the main coach and a bunch of elite coaches for Mao would be quite new. They are supposed to be all Japanese who already know each other very well. They might continue their job together more or less until Sochi. Of course, if necessary, there is a possibility that other people are temporarily invited to Mao's rink from various parts of world. More than likely, there will be more than one choreographers and TAT may be one of them.

Anyway, all the people's cooperation and harmony and the main coach's leadership will matter.
    As for Shrubb or (Tracy) Wilson lasting for at least a year, I honestly don't know. The article was published in December of 2007; Yu-Na started training with Orser in, what, the summer of 2006? So maybe they did.

Maybe I'm bad at explaining things, but I just cited Yu-Na's situation as a good example of how a team with good strategy and a good head (Orser) can help. I was focusing more on how different people (spin coach, choreographer, therapist) all work together under the guidance of the main coach as a cohesive whole. I'm sure there are other skaters with such strategies/teams. It's just that Yu-Na's is the one I'm most familiar with. As for including the trainer/therapist, the person's not an elite coach, but in my book, an important member of the team, too, because of the help in managing the pain from Yu-Na's injury, consequently helping her be competitive at world level. I was thinking more in terms of teamwork...

I'm sorry, I should have paid better attention to your previous post about elite coaches (My bad). In that case, I'm woefully ignorant of a skater or skaters upon whom a lot of such resources are focused on. If this is going to be the case with Mao, it will certainly be big news.

I think this proposal (coaches pitching in with their specific field of expertise) has a good chance to work, as long as they follow your last remark about cooperation and harmony, and the leadership of the head coach.

Is Mao's rink or location a training hub? With lots of prospective coaches?

I read this thread title as "Team Mao: Political Plans" and freaked out. Hahah.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    i read this thread title as "team mao: Political plans" and freaked out. Hahah.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Interesting about Tat and heavy Russian style working for men. Could we also say it was in the 6.0 era and not under CoP when this happened? I think Mao's 3A's would have been worth more to 6.0 judges.

Also somebody might remind Mao about how many Russian women have won OGM's?
    And WC's? Not so many and perhaps there are reasons for that.
    I actually think if 2010 Olympics was under 6.0 system, Mao would not have gotten even silver. After that long program filled with mistakes, Joanne would have gotten silver. It's the points Mao garnered in short that helped her to get silver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Mao 3A would have been worth a lot more under the 6.0 system.
    Both Tara and Kristi have said something along the line, "She has a triple axel, how do you compete with that?" "It's all about the triple axel" "What could I do that can compete with the triple axel"
    Both girls have 3-3 and yet, they both think technically the triple axel is a far greater achievement.

Midori was the first to do a 3-3, but the wow factor wasn't even close to her 3A. And Midori's 3-3 would have gotten +3 GOE today. The height, the flow, the speed, the delay rotation, the transition Ina B into her 3-3.
    Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. Midori's 3-3 was nothing compared to the distance and height Yuna carries. No way under the sun she would have gotten +3. And her ugly wrapped legs in her humps, please. I am sorry. We live on a different figure skating planet. I do respect your views. I just strongly strongly disagree.

Doings a second triple as high and travel as much distance as the first triple is an enormous accomplishment. Even men have a hard time doing that. There is a reason why Mao does not get a high GOE from her 3A. she doesn't have the speed and distance coming out of her 3A. Anyway, we will not agree and I don't expect that. I just need to say it.
    Last edited by aurora100; 04-04-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Here is a montage of Midori's 3-3 combos. by richq10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okZP...eature=related

Can anyone deny the height and distance covered by this woman?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post

But what does this have to do with Mao Asada though? It's two completely different individuals and Mao's jumps are not in anyway comparable to Midori's, not even close.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    But what does this have to do with Mao Asada though? It's two completely different individuals and Mao's jumps are not in anyway comparable to Midori's, not even close.
    It's a response to the above poster who said that Midori's jumps cannot compare to Yuna's height and distance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. Midori's 3-3 was nothing compared to the distance and height Yuna carries. No way under the sun she would have gotten +3. And her ugly wrapped legs in her humps, please. I am sorry. We live on a different figure skating planet. I do respect your views. I just strongly strongly disagree.
    No woman, living, retired or history, can compare to Midori Ito's jumps, period. Yu-Na Kim doesn't even come close, not sure what you are looking at but the difference is quite glaring. Personally, I never understood some people's obsession with wrapped legs, they are neither against the rule or "ugly" as a few people think they are. It's just a different technique. Find a rule citation that considered wrapped legs an incorrect in-air position, then you may have a point. As far as I know, no such rule exists. Various people have different opinion on this, though it certainly hasn't prevented Midori Ito from achieving amazing heights on her jumps. If Yu-Na jumps as high as you think she does, it would have been easy for her to do a Triple Axel. The fact is though she broke her back trying to learn that jump while Ito was able to do that jump since she was 14.

Whether Ito would get +3 today for her jumps is difficult to say. But most of them would be easily +2 due to their exceptional height, flow and speed and strong landings.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora
    Midori's 3-3 was nothing compared to the distance and height Yuna carries
    Huh?? You must be using a YuNa fan lens when you were viewing Ito's jump montage. Ito got HUGE height and distance with her jumps. I remember the TV showed a split screen of Ito vs Harding's 3As Anyway, since YuNa and her coach are talking about the goal of 3A for YuNa, when and if she gets the 3A, lets do a side by side split screen and see. LOL
    Last edited by rtureck; 04-04-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I actually think if 2010 Olympics was under 6.0 system, Mao would not have gotten even silver. After that long program filled with mistakes, Joanne would have gotten silver. It's the points Mao garnered in short that helped her to get silver.
    So what is your point that the 6.0 system is better than the current one? Or are you making a point that only points from the free skate count and sp does not. Anyway, under current system, Joannie has the chance to garner points in the sp too, but she didn't.
    Last edited by rtureck; 04-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post

The 7 minute video proves, none of Ito's jumps in height, distance, the flow going in and out compares to Yuna's Triple lutz triple toe or triple flip triple toe for that matter. Yuna's jumps cover half of the ice. No way in the world ITO would receive higher GOE than Yuna has received if she were to compete under current system. I'm responding to previous posting here. Don't take my word for it, commentators on CBC, NBC, BBC, much qualified than I have commented on Yuna's text book triple triple. And let's not even get into other aspects of Ito's skating vs. Yuna. Case closed but I don't expect to convince any posters, nor am I trying to.

PS: If Yuna were competing under 6.0 system, she would have gotten as many if not more 6.0s than Kwan. Don't believe ITO ever achieved that in her day.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast