Thread: Hypothetically, how would past great skaters like Michelle fare in today's system?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Probably, but will she get marked down in the artistic components? But I can imagine her having a big lead in the TES. Imagine combining Michelle's artistic abilities and Ito's athletic prowess, wow that could be the ultimate ladies skater.
    To be honest, I don't think the berating Midori Ito got over her "lack of artistry" was fair; it's just that some of her contemporaries like Katarina Witt and Kristi Yamaguchi were more appealing. Midori isn't that hard on the eyes to watch; there's nothing about her skating that is bothersome or ugly--compare that to someone like (sigh, I know this one gets targeted so much) Rachael Flatt. Midori Ito could be graceful and joyful, even if she didn't have as much charisma as some of her rivals.

ETA: I feel bad even comparing the two, above. Maybe a better example is Carolina Kostner, who is a lovely skater, but there is something awkward about her. I prefer Midori's presentation over hers.
    Last edited by prettykeys; 04-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.