Thread: what skaters do you love who never really made it?

Hybrid View

Banned

what skaters do you love who never really made it?

I'll start with the usa ladies who broke my heart. I love Allyssa. Enuff said there. Ouch and OHHH! Also Jenny Kirk was not scored highly when she did her triple/triples and I feel she felt an also ran to the big 2. I felt she should have had a long, lovely career. And Nikidinov was often so disappointing for such a natural talent. Lastly I'll have to mention the terrible-ly good at times total sad story Tonya. Oh one more. I adored Bobeks skating...sigh. Men? Pairs? Dance teams who broke your heart?

I forgot to mention the very good skater who despite her triple/triple was not held in much high esteem by the judges...amber corwin. She really hung in there and I wish she could have done better as she was so dedicated. She was quite versatile.
    Last edited by Bijoux; 04-20-2010 at 07:10 PM.

They may not have the BIG medals, but they came close.

Angela Nikodinov, Ryan Bradley, Jenny Kirk, Josee Chouinard, Scott & Dulebohn, Gregory & Petukhov,

Custom Title
    Yukina Ota and Naomi Nari Nam

The latter case was affecting me to the point of being unable to fully enjoy Mirai until now. Mirai really reminded me of Naomi, that same wonderful cheeriness and spirit. I'm just happy that Mirai has proved me a plain old scaredy cat.
    Last edited by babyalligator; 04-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by babyalligator View Post
    Yukina Ota and Naomi Nari Nam T^T
    yeah. NNN. One magical year. For the men I feel really sorry about Bowman. What a talented guy who had so many enablers in the sport, IMO.

As for the ladies internationally, I loved Josee but cringed when she competed. I watched Caro at 16, she was great. Now I just wish she had retired after Torino. What a disappoiintment. Biggest Russian lady heartbreak? Viktoria! So talented, awful competitor. Pairs....I think Meno and Sand never got their due as amateurs. I like them so much as people, tho and think they did SOI proud. tho they are not exciting skaters.

I hate seeing Joubert past his prime and remember his youthful confidence the most.

Yebin Mok, Bebe Liang, AP McDonough, Viktoria Volchkova. Ludmila Nelidina. Yukina Ota

Custom Title
    Definitely loved Scott & Dulebohn, Huff and Ladret, Meno and Sand, Angela, Josee, Nicole Bobeck & Bowman (truly heartbreaking IMO). There's so many more but at the moment I'm still a bit groggy and haven't finished my coffee yet lol...I anticipate this post being edited when I fully wake up!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Yebin Mok
    Oh yeah, I remember her. Whatever happened? She was a good one IIRC.

But I can't believe some of the names being thrown about here. If you win any kind of World or Oly medal you've DEFINITELY "made it". (IMO) It's almost ridiculous to think otherwise. How many thousands (possibly millions) of other skaters just want to BE at Worlds or Olys? I mean- Czisny, as inconsistent as she might be, has absolutely "made it"- she's national champ and has been to the worlds twice for goodness sake. Meissner, a WORLD champ, has "made it"- and Cohen, multiple World and National medals- she's reached the point that many people outside of the FS community have at least "heard of her". If that's not "making it" I don't know what is. Perhaps some people think you must win OGM or WGM. Then practically no one has "made it"- at least by some fans' definitions.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-06-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add imo