what skaters do you love who never really made it? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

what skaters do you love who never really made it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow, how cool that she can do a backflip! You rarely see those kinds of moves from female skaters.

I think she used to be a gymnast. But yeah, she is intense, I don't know if you're familiar with her as a skater but her jumps are HUGE considering she's like 4'11". I really like her though, hope her injury is better!

Johar

Medalist
Ann Patrice McDonough
Naomi Nari Nam
Jenni Tew
Sydne Vogel
Yoshie Onda
Christopher Bowman
Emmanuel Sandhu
Lucinda Ruhl
Katy Taylor
Lisa Erwin
Tiffany & Johnny Steigler
Kiira Korpi
Julia Soldatova
Elena Liashenko

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Agree with many named. And for sure there are many I never saw, especially the ones from US. But Matt Savoie I remember from Torino :agree::clap:

My love for great not so lucky skaters:

Stannick Jeanette, who I believe was not fully supported from the French federation. 7th in worlds 2000. European brons in 2001 and 2003. Never in olympics. Would have been more successful in the current system with his inventive spins, choreo and interpretation + he had good jumps and mostly the quad. Now a choreographer for Florent Amodio(FRA), junior A-L Gjersem(NOR), Miriam Ziegler(AUT) and maybe some more skaters? Bet/hope he will be a famous choreographer in the future.

Ilia Klimkin, who had injuries and had to stop skating too early. Brons in Euros 2004 in Budapest. Never number one in Russia. 11th in olympics 2006.

When I watch these two lovely, artistic, original skaters again, I see how much I miss them. Wish they had been in more competitions and won more medals :cry:

Another Russian guy; Abt, a fabulous skater that had a lot of problems: injuries(broken leg?) and not being popular with the Russian federation if I have got it right. He was 5th in olympics 2002. As said in another post; always behind Yagudin and Plushenko.

Exactly the skater who came to my mind.

My wife and I saw her at Junior Worlds in 2000, and she became our favorite skater at that entire event. To our frustration, we never got to see her in competition again. Her skates at international performances were never included in the television coverage we received at home. She did not skate at Europeans 2002 (which we attended) because of injury. She switched from singles to pairs (and from Denmark to Germany) and was entered into the 2004 Nebelhorn Trophy, which we attended, but she and her partner dropped out at the last minute because of illness or injury. (There was a consolation prize--they were replaced by Savchenko and Szolkowy in their first international competition together.) She then retired from competitive skating a year later, just a couple of months before we attended the German national championships. She did appear as a skating double for Claire Danes in the movie "It's All About Love"; this is the only other place in which we've seen her skate.

Does she still skate in shows, or has she moved on to other things?

Oh yes, Mikkeline Kirkgaard(DEN), what a loss! I saw her first time at Euros 2000 when she placed 7th. The audience, commentators, everyone was so impressed. She didn't do the harder jumps, but what performances: SP to "Light my fire" and LP to Rondo Cappricioso. At worlds the same year she was 11th I think, not sure. In 2001 she was 14th in worlds and then I never saw her again. Won't speculate about her problems, but very sad that she disappeared from the ice also after trying pair skating.

Another lost Scandinavian lady is Lina Johansson(SWE), second in JGPF 2003 and then plagued by injuries. At the JGPF event in Malmö behind one year older Miki Ando. Pavuk(HUN) was 3rd, Mai Asada 4th and Kimmie Meissner 5th. Mai Asada didn't make it to the top either. Don't know why and I never saw her skating. The ladies placing 6-8 I don't know anything about.

:eek:hwell: so many come and go

There have been many over the years. Here's a few-

Braden Overett
Yosuke Takeuchi
Jeannie Miley / Michael Verlich
Anna Rechnio
Michael Chack

who are they all??? :laugh:
Anna from Poland I remember and agree. She was a very fast and powerful skater.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Katy Taylor

Thanks Johar! I almost forgot Katy... I wonder if she ever got that pink hummer. Some of my favorite threads around here concerned her 16 year old self wanting that truck - too funny!!!:)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Amelie Lacoste still has time to 'make it' :D

Btw, I read somewhere that Ann Patrice McDonough really hated skating and was forced to skate by her mother. I'm not sure how true this is.

True. Especially if Joannie retires soon, the Canadian ladies' field is not that deep. I prefer Amelie's skating to Cynthia's but apparently the judges find Cynthia way better.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Please can someone tell me what happened with Katy Taylor? How why she left the scene? Thanks...

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Most of my heartbreakers have already been mentioned. For me the list would be:
Alexander Abt (number one for sure...immensely talented, judging victim)
Drobiazko and Vanagas (judging victims)
Ryan Bradley
AP McDonough
Jenny Kirk
Nicole Bobek
Tiffany Stiegler
Shelby Lyons
Lucinda Ruh
Angela Nikodinov
Dare I say...Silvia Fontana?

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not even a fan but Sasha has made it. She is the star of SOI. She won an Olympic medal. Johnny never won an Olympic medal and he has made it. Sure Sasha didn't live up to expectations but she's well known. With Michelle out, the Olympis fed were just salivating hoping Sasha would make it to the Olympics so that they would still have an star to market in the U.S for the marquee event.

Johar

Medalist
Most of my heartbreakers have already been mentioned. For me the list would be:
Alexander Abt (number one for sure...immensely talented, judging victim)
Drobiazko and Vanagas (judging victims)
Ryan Bradley
AP McDonough
Jenny Kirk
Nicole Bobek
Tiffany Stiegler
Shelby Lyons
Lucinda Ruh
Angela Nikodinov
Dare I say...Silvia Fontana?

Shelby Lyons! I remember her.