Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt's admission decisions

Custom Title
    New interview/ QandA with Flatt/Denver Post.
    Still down to Princeton and Stanford!

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14940708

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Wow, I wish I was Rachael Flatt so people talked about my college choices on the 'net.
    Precisely...

Custom Title
    Speaking from experience, I hope that whatever Rachael decides to do cannot be done by indentured servants in China making slave wages.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I thought Stanford was her dream school so I surprised she did not make it official that she was going there as soon as she got in!

Custom Title
    For some reasons, I thought she wanted to go to Harvard. I wonder she did not get in? Anyway, I really admire this young girl. Whatever she chooses to do, I know she will be successful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I thought Stanford was her dream school so I surprised she did not make it official that she was going there as soon as she got in!
    Princeton is closer to ice rinks with better coaches - the Ice House in Hackensack, the rink in NJ where Johnny and Ksenia skate, skating clubs in NY, etc. Stanford isn't near any reknown ice rink so it would be harder to continue training.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    For some reasons, I thought she wanted to go to Harvard. I wonder she did not get in? Anyway, I really admire this young girl. Whatever she chooses to do, I know she will be successful.
    Rachael has always mentioned Stanford when talking about college---I never can recall her saying Harvard was high on her list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Rachael has always mentioned Stanford when talking about college---I never can recall her saying Harvard was high on her list.
    May 1st is in 3 days, so I guess we'll all know what she decides then (that's the day deposits are due), unless she got waitlisted somewhere and is waiting to hear if she gets off the wait list.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    For selfish reasons (namely, going to one of the NJ colleges not too far from Princeton), I hope Rachael picks Princeton. Then, if she does any shows because they're close locations to school, or anything like send-off shows for competitions, I can easily take a train or bus and go see her live. That would be awesome.

Then again, I hope she picks whatever has the programs she wants and will make her happy. College is an awesome experience, and I hope she enjoys it.

Custom Title
    "The 2010 U.S. Champion will enter Stanford University in fall 2011, a year after graduating Summa Cum Laude from Cheyenne Mountain High School in Colorado Springs, Colo."

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...rd-university/

Great! I am happy for her. Her decision looks very smart. I adore her hard work in what motivates her.

Custom Title
    Looks like she'll do at least one more year of competitive skating then... She probably hopes to gain at least one worlds medal... Without a full course load and not having the pressure of obtaining straight As all year; so being able to focus entirely on skating; will she become even more competitive?

I am surprised that she is putting school off for a year. Seems like a good decision. This way she will be able
    to focus totally on her skating. I think that her skating will improve and I look forward to seeing the result.

Custom Title
    I hope that she'll acquire some artistry and learn how to make her spins more aesthetically pleasing in the coming year, I think that's what she really needs to become a tier one skater. Tara and Johnny were talking about how shocked they were that she was so low in the rankings at Worlds but I really wasn't that surprised - Rachael without the 3-3 becomes a very run-of-the-mill skater because she isn't artistic, elegant, or flexible. If she can work on those things though, and get her 3-3 consistent again, then she can likely be competitive for a world medal in the coming season.

Custom Title
    I can't believe that Rachael wasn't accepted at Havard or even at Duke! What more could a school want than a student who graduates summa cum laude while winning the US FS Championships and competing at Olympics ! I guess someone didn't like her skating outfit--or something. Oh well, she'll just have to go to Stanford, which is better than Duke any day, in my book! (apologies to any Duke alums)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I can't believe that Rachael wasn't accepted at Havard or even at Duke! What more could a school want than a student who graduates summa cum laude while winning the US FS Championships and competing at Olympics ! I guess someone didn't like her skating outfit--or something. Oh well, she'll just have to go to Stanford, which is better than Duke any day, in my book! (apologies to any Duke alums)
    Duke is known for keeping an over-qualified waitlist....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast