Murakami vs Nagasu | Golden Skate

Murakami vs Nagasu

volk

Final Flight
Who do you think will have a better career? Mirai seems to be a better skater, but Kanako is younger and has room for improvement.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
This is probably the American in me talking, but I would say Nagasu. She's got a world-class coach that could take her up, up, and away if she sticks with him and has improved dramatically within the past year. I really like Murakami, she has great presentation skills and is so adorable, but the technique she uses to jump (especially on her toe jumps) is awfully scary.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Definately Mirai. But as volk said, Kanako is still very young and has plenty of time to improve! Kanako is my favourite junior skater, so I want her to do well in the future!

:rock:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Without doubt, Mirai. She's got fewer technical issues than Kanako (Kanako flutzes amongst other things - though Mirai does get an ! on that jump sometimes too) and has more mature presentation I feel. Still, it could be a red hot rivalry in the years to come!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I love both of these skaters. I suspect they will both have very good careers.

Mirai seems to be on the right path and although Kanako is younger I hope she will continue to improve and overcome any technical problems.

For me they both have special performance qualities that makes me love their skating and always wish the best for both of them.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nagasu, though Kanako is adorable. Mirai got a SP score of 65+ at Junior Worlds at the age of 14 and Kanako is 15 and didn't break 60 internationally this whole season (I think). Kanako is a very nice skater but her technique is more problematic than Mirai's and her spins, flexibility, and interpretation aren't quite as good as Mirai's. Both girls have great speed though, and Kanako does not seem to let being in 1st after the SP get to her like we've seen it get to Mirai. For 15, she is also very consistent. I'm curious to see how Kanako fairs on the SGP in the coming season, it will tell us more about how the judges view her skating.

volk

Final Flight
Without doubt, Mirai. She's got fewer technical issues than Kanako (Kanako flutzes amongst other things - though Mirai does get an ! on that jump sometimes too) and has more mature presentation I feel. Still, it could be a red hot rivalry in the years to come!

But who is a better competitor? Mental toughness will be a factor in the future of both of their careers.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Technically Mirai. Some of Kanako's jumps need some work. But Mirai is always prone to UR, which can affect scores worse than Kanako's issues on paper. Kanako's Flutz is bigger than Mirai's but it is not that Mirai does not have it, either, and the mule kick does not affect scores much. In terms of charisma, Kanako's may be greater than Mirai's, even though both have a great deal of it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anyone concerned about puberty monster for Kanako? I kind of doubt she's done growing judging by how teeny tiny she is, there's a picture of her with Christina Gao and Anna Ovcharova and they both tower over her, and those girls aren't even tall.

ks777

Record Breaker
Mirai is a much more complete skater. I love Kanako but her jumps are very awekward looking. Kanako's flutz, flip and 2 axel needs a lot of work. Plus she doesn't have the 3 loop jump.

To me, Kanako is like Caroline Zhang. She can land those jumps when she is young and tiny with that technique but once she gets bigger, she will start loosing consistancy on her jumps. I do love her personality on the ice though! She is so lovely and adorable!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kanako leans her body forward on most of her jumps, like Miki. Does she train under Miki's old coach?

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
But wasn't Miki's coach Machiko before Miki went to Yuko Monna and Nobuo Sato?

:think:
First,Miki and Mao were trainingmate,when their coach was Yuko. later,Mao moved to Machiko and Miko had been training with Yuko.
So Kanako skated with Mao when Mao was 12~15 y.o. But Kanako and Miki did not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyU1Baaaeg
very end, little Kanako and Mao are talking, very adorable :love:

☆Genie

Rinkside
Technically Mirai. Some of Kanako's jumps need some work. But Mirai is always prone to UR, which can affect scores worse than Kanako's issues on paper. Kanako's Flutz is bigger than Mirai's but it is not that Mirai does not have it, either, and the mule kick does not affect scores much. In terms of charisma, Kanako's may be greater than Mirai's, even though both have a great deal of it.

Yeah, Mirai is a very good skater and can get very high marks too. Kananko is still n the juniors, but she needs some polishing and needs to work on her speed.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
But Mirai is always prone to UR, which can affect scores worse than Kanako's issues on paper. Kanako's Flutz is bigger than Mirai's but it is not that Mirai does not have it, either, and the mule kick does not affect scores much. .

Technically, Mirai's getting there. Look at how quickly she's been fixing her UR issues. She's a talented jumper, more so than Kanako. Both have good speed, but I think Mirai's a little faster. Mirai also seems to have more power when entering her jumps.

In their SPs, Mirai does a 3Lz-2T, a 3F and a gorgeous 2A. Murakami does a 3T-3T, a 3F and a 2A. I don't know too much about Kanako (I think she's working on 3F-3T), but I know for sure that Mirai's trying to upgrade her combo to a 3Lz-3T, giving her the same SP layout as Yu-na. Mirai has already reached 70 points with her 3-2 combo SP. What she could do with a 3-3 might take her closer to Yu-na's scores, already giving her the edge over Kanako in the SP.
In LP, Mirai does 3Lz-2T-2T, 2A-3T, 3F, 3Lz, 3Lo-2A, 2A, 3T, giving her a BV* of 54.8 (jumps 38.6)
In LP, Kanako does 3Lz, 3F, 2S-2A, 3F-2A, 3T, 3S-2Lo-2Lo, giving her a BV* of 53.0 (jumps 36.8) (but she will probably upgrade her jump layout when she enters the senior ranks).
In general, Mirai is much stronger on toe jumps (which garner more points). Murakami's toe pick technique just seems off. Mirai doesn't have a 3S. I wonder why. Murakami doesn't have a 3Lo.

* Assuming both get FSSp4, SpSq4, FCoSp4, SlSt3 and CCoSp4.

As for mental strength, Mirai's Worlds performance was... well, awful. I'm guessing she has yet to tame her nerves, but I'm hoping she will get there. The pressure of being 1st in the SP and American hopes for three spots probably got to her. She did much better as an underdog at the Olympics. So far, Kanako has been pretty consistent, but we have yet to see what effect staggering expectations or rivalry will have. I agree that both have charisma. They're both charming. They do strike me as still a little cutesy, but I'm hoping that will change soon.