Best Rachmoninoff | Golden Skate

Best Rachmoninoff

C

Callystarr

Best Rachmoninoff

Who had the best version...who's did you enjoy more.

I really think that Lu Chen, 96 world performance wins by a landslide...

C

Callystarr

Re: Best Rachmoninoff

By the way I am talking about Long Programs...

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

I agree with you Callystar - LuLu's is the best, but are you just going to limit it to 1) the ladies, and
2) Rach's Piano Concerto #2? Actually, I don't think I'd include Sarah in this since 1) her program was not all Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2-only the last section, and 2) that section was gone at the Olympics-still had the small piece of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini but last section replaced with more Daphne and Chloe. Midori Ito also did a nice version in 92. If I also recall correctly, Caryn Kadavy used Rach #2 in a pro event.

If you include other disciplines, both Mishkutiunok/Dmitriev and Meno/Sand have used Rach #2 - M/D used the first movement and M/S used the third movement. Pang/Tong are skating to it this season. Igor Paskevitch also skated to Rach #2 in the 97-98 season.

If you count other Rach pieces, both Ina/Zimmerman and Angela Nikodinov have skated to Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

J

Jules Asner

I voted for Lu Chen, that was a masterpiece. The other are good, but not in the same league artistically IMO.

B

BronzeisGolden02

No Question

Chen Lu's "Rach" was perfect. There is no question that this is the best program ever performed to that Rachmoninov piece. LOL, well, in my opinion anyway! The opening stare pulled me in, it was so dramatic, and everything afterward was equally as riveting. I also cast my vote for best stare at the beginning of a program! This program is and should be a legend, not just from the 90s, but for all time.

N

nysk8r

Re: No Question

Me neither:( ........ is anyone willing to describe it for us? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease??:p

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

sk8guy and nysk8r,

I think I'll take a stab at describing Lulu's Rach to you. I must say that if you can find the video 'Magic Memories on Ice #3 - An Unforgettable Season', buy it - it has this program in its entirety (along with Michelle's Salome and Rudy's Swan Lake at Nationals).

In her book 'A Passion to Skate', Sandra Bezic described the process in selecting the music for this program. They chose Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2, Second Movement Adagio Sostenuto because they felt it was powerful and feminine. Lulu said she never felt more beautiful on the ice. I feel that the first part of the program she is searching for something, then she finds it and in the second part is expressing her joy and happiness in finding what she was searching for and is at peace at the end.

The performance at Worlds was incredible. She could do no wrong. Just before she got in her opening position, she just seemed so calm and relaxed. She was the defending champion going in, yet she struggled throughout the season - she lost twice to Michelle [at Skate America and the Champions Series Final (now the Grand Prix Final) where she was actually in the lead after the short and fell off the podium after the long] and was in second place after the short in Edmonton. When she was done, she received a standing ovation. I'll never forget her scream in the kiss and cry when she received two 6.0s for artistic impression. Peggy Fleming's comment: 'It was like she led us through a dream', which I feel is appropriate. If she had skated the same performance later in the group (she was second) I'm sure she would have received more 6.0s.

Back to the program: It was just a perfect blend of athleticism and artistry. The music was beautiful and there were no obvious, abrupt edits. It was all the second movement of the concerto. She had six triples and one double axel in the program. All the choreography matched the music - the footwork, the spins, the placement of the jumps (some landed at the perfect crecendo), and all of the little gestures of her arms, hands, and head. There were some interesting entrances into jumps, such as a spiral into the triple loop and a back bend into the triple toe at the end. She wore a beautiful burgandy velvet dress with NO SEQUINS.

Well, I hope this description helps a little bit. Gosh, I'm going to have to watch it when I get home from work!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

T

The Queen of Hughs

Definitely Mishkutionok & Dmitriev's Rach #2 at the 1994 Olympics. They own that music. It's a masterpiece of artistry and technical ability. <strong>Amazing.</strong>

C

Callystarr

hmm

Lu Chen actually had

6triples and 2 double axels in the program compared to Michelle Kwans 7triples and 1 double axel

P

Princess Leppard 625

Re: hmm

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:xx-small;">Didn't Alexander Abt use this piece, too? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Laura :) </span>

M

MoonliteSonata

Re: hmm

abt used <strong>concerto no.3</strong>...different from concerto no.2