Laura Lepisto - - - 2011 World Champion? Yes or.... No? | Golden Skate

Laura Lepisto - - - 2011 World Champion? Yes or.... No?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Unless Laura improves her jump content: I hope not..

Although Laura´s Worlds freeskate was not very successful jumpwise, let´s remember that at the Olympics she was 4th in the freeskate. Besides, I have understood that Laura´s jump content includes all the other triple jumps except triple axel and triple flip. In the Olympic season she brought in a successful triple lutz, hopefully a successful triple flip will follow soon...

Laura is a wonderful skater, in my opinion. I just hope that her training will include complete freeskate run-throughs every day, to give her more confidence!!!

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Meh. With her series of doubled jumps, I hope not. If she could demonstrate that the Olympic LP was not a one time occurrence, then yeah! She has superior skating skills, presentation and posture than so many of the current top contenders. I would like to see her rewarded for that, but frankly I don't see her winning gold unless other skaters make huge mistakes (which I just wouldn't want).

Bennett

Record Breaker
From the technical standpoint, why is her technique prones to popping triples into doubles? Is that because she has so much speed?

Big Deal

Final Flight
Never with 3 triple jumps (Toe-loop, loop, Salchow).... She can NOT do a Flip, only did Lutz once (not a nice one at the Olympics).
Her choreography is for take the maximum advantage to get points, but with her jump-contents and ability, she reached her maximum yet.
So, let's learn the other jumps what the other ladies can do. Than we can wait and see.

lavender

Record Breaker
I will have to say no. Lovely skater but she just doesn't have the content and she's also not very consistent. She certainly was misplaced at these worlds.

irinas

Rinkside
Never with 3 triple jumps (Toe-loop, loop, Salchow).... She can NOT do a Flip, only did Lutz once (not a nice one at the Olympics).
Her choreography is for take the maximum advantage to get points, but with her jump-contents and ability, she reached her maximum yet.
So, let's learn the other jumps what the other ladies can do. Than we can wait and see.

I just wonder if you really follow her closely to talk about her because she has managed to land many triple lutzes at;

2008 NHK Trophy
2009 World Champs
2009 Japan Open
2009 Skate Canada
2010 Olympics
2010 Worlds

Not "once" at all... She even said that it is a jump that works really well in practices.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why not. If she lands all her triples I think she could, even if that only means one lutz, two toes, two loops, and a sal. The judges clearly like her and her PCS are very comparable to Mao and Yuna. She got 127 for her FS in Vancouver with one doubled jump, so she could break 130 if she was clean. It's very possible but she isn't the most consistent.

Her world medal this year has made me very optimistic about Amanda Dobbs' future in skating. She actually reminds me a lot of Laura and Laura has shown that you don't need the most difficult jumps to do well, and Amanda has been getting quite good scores recently despite her easier jump content.

Lilith11

On the Ice
I think I'd be... disappointed if she won. Yes, she has amazing carriage and posture, but technically? If somebody can win the WC w/doubles and just 3-4 triples... well, wouldn't that be a regression of sorts in FS technically? Lols, I'd much rather somebody like Mao or Yu-na to win, someone who has the artistry AND jumps :)

But if she really does skate the best, then may the best skater win.

R.D.

Record Breaker
IN A NUTSHELL

I hope not.

Nothing against Laura personally. But...I hope not, that's all.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
lovely, yes, but several people would have to be injured, meltdown , no shows and she'd need to be an improved tecnical skater. Its clear they enjoy her style/presentation and I can see her determination to go to Sochi. I think we will have a few new faces and doubt she'll ever be golden.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, if she beats the rest of the field by outskating and outjumping them, I'm fine with it. But I just don't think she's at "that level" so far, yet the judges want to put her up there. I dunno, JMO- maybe I'm just tired and bored.