Laura Lepisto - - - 2011 World Champion? Yes or.... No? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Laura Lepisto - - - 2011 World Champion? Yes or.... No?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lepisto becoming world champ is entirely possible because who knows what rules will pass at the ISU meeting in June. All the rules that have been passing have benefitted people who do not focus on jumping.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Lepisto becoming world champ is entirely possible because who knows what rules will pass at the ISU meeting in June. All the rules that have been passing have benefitted people who do not focus on jumping.

Before, we've seen a greater push for transitions and other in-betweens, a clamp-down on edge and UR and a slight increase in BV for big jumps, just to sum up the big changes. This time, I expect to see people pushing for greater BV for 3A and quads. The Japanese fed officially announced that it will request for the mid-BV deal to encourage high-risk jumps and an increase in the 3A BV (I also heard it might ask for a risk GOE checkpoint -- if you do a hard jump, you get GOE by virtue of the attempt). After the Olympics, I also see Russian reps following suit. So no, I don't think all the new rules, both those already established and those yet to come, have benefitted skaters who don't focus on jumping. Instead, more so than before (early CoP era), top-tier skaters have been encouraged to bring the whole package: excellence both in jumps and non-jump elements. The most important elements are the jumps, no matter what people say. If you want to be on top, you must hav the jumps, but now GOE is gaining in importance. It's not about what you do, but how you do it.

I have to say though, I'm very excited for this upcoming ISU conference. I love rules.

youtubo

Rinkside
Have your favorite to keep jumping for another 3-4 years.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I rewatched my tape about the Worldchampionships.
She really did a decent triple Lutz there together with a 3-3 toe loops combo.
She missed the Salchow and the loop..... So, she won the bronz with 3 triples of 2 kind of..... Even if she is a lovely skater I think that is more shocking than winning the male competition without a quad but with many nice clean triples ( it doesn't bother me at all).

Katarina Witt did more triples back in 1983, she would definitely win the bronz here with her long program 27 years later....

It gives me an even stronger feeling, how lucky we are to be present when this 2 great talents are competing (Yu-Na and Mao).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked

Final Flight
I really like Laura's style and ice presence. But she MUST have higher technical content to be World Champ. I admit it bothered me that the ladies bronze medalist only did 3 triples.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sarah Hughes did 2 triples to win her Olympics Gold. Or was it 1? ;)
Mirai Nagasu did 0 triples to win her only US title.

So what's the big deal that Laura Lepisto got the BRONZE? Miki flip didn't look rotated in the SP. In the LP, she had 6 triples, some are shaky. Laura's combined SP and LP had 6 triples. All with quality and +GOE. Her skating skill, presentation, beauty are vastly superior to Miki. I don't see who else deserved the bronze other than Laura.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Tsk tsk, so bitchy.

I like her and hope she has more skating successes. I think wishing AGAINST someone's success is a bit mean-spirited!
If they keep giving her medals and high scores like candy for subpar performances, then obviously I'm going to be a bit mean-spirited.

berrycute

On the Ice
If they keep giving her medals and high scores like candy for subpar performances, then obviously I'm going to be a bit mean-spirited.

She has ONE medal from worlds. What do you mean "keep giving her medals"?

I think this Worlds wasn't very well skated by the ladies in general, probably because most of them were burned-out after the Olympics (Laura herself was better, and higher-scored, in the LP in Vancouver than at Worlds). But everyone is complaining that she was overscored in the LP here, well, name me a skater who should have outranked her in the LP but didn't? Miki, Cynthia, Carolina, they all beat her in the LP but had weaker SP scores and couldn't overtake her (I mean, Miki's SP was pretty bad, has everyone just magically forgotten that???) She had relatively low technical content, but the performance quality was still there, and I think her PC scores reflect that reasonably accurately (to my mind, she had the best artistic performance after Mao).

And for what it's worth, I don't think anything the judges do justifies this kind of mean-spiritedness. It's so childish.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
She can definitely become a world champ if she skated CLEAN in both SP and LP and if other top skaters flaters. Her LP 126+ has 5 triples, and if she didn't double her 3S, 6 triples program of her could be around 128-130 range. SP with mistake on 2A is around 64+ so if she land her 2A clean, she could be in around 66-68 range and these score are pretty competitive with Ando, Kostner and Rochett and Nagasu.

The only question is how many tirples will she double it??? You are not going to be a world champion with just 3-4 triple jumps. Looking at past world champ,
Mao 2010: 6 triples (5 technically with <)
Yuna 2009: 5 triples
Mao 2008: 6 triples (5 technically with <)
Miki 2007: 7 triples
Kimmie 2006: 7 triples
Irina 2005: 7 triples (3rd 3Loop got zero credit)
Shizuka 2004 : 7 triples
Michelle 2003: 6 triples
Irina 2002: 6 triples

Only the last 3 world title is won with 5 triples or 5 triples with one underrotated triple jump. Laura already has the PCS and good GOE when she land them, so it's a matter of how many triples will she land.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I like her skating very much. Hope she can rotate those triples and everything will be fine.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
OksanA Baiul '94
TarA Lipinski '98
IrinA Slutskaya '02
ShizukA Arakawa '06
YunA Kim '10
LaurA Lepisto '14

Forget world champion, Laura Lepisto is going to be an OGMist.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Laura has some pretty awesome qualities - the type of qualities that are missing from:

Rachael Flatt
Miki Ando

Fumie Segurie
Rachael Flatt

Irina Slutskaya
Rachael Flatt

Bebe Lang
Rachael Flatt

Laura is an artist on the ice - she is animated and she has beautiful posture and positions.

Who cares about predictions like this in the off-season.
Those who don't like Laura don't like beautiful skating.

berrycute

On the Ice
But it could also be AdelinA ElizavetA, AlenA, KseniA, PolinA or AnnA. The Russian girls are looking good, then...

hurrah

Medalist
I think Laura has great speed. Huge. If someone told me Laura used to train as a speed skater but then decided to pursue a career as a figure skater, I would believe it.

And I agree she has a way of using her facial expression that makes her look very seductive on the ice.

But I don't think her posture and positions are beautiful. She looks really stiff and wooden on the ice. Stiff shoulders, arms, and ankles.

I think skaters who have great speed on ice just tend to have that kind of physical presence, while skaters who have less speed show beautiful lines and flexibility.

Sort of like the former uses his/her body like a stone, the latter uses his/her body like water on the ice.

But I can admire when a stone is speeding along the ice, and when that stone suddenly does triple-jumps, I do think it will be more explosive in terms of spectacle than if a water that's just been flowing on the ice like a moving fountain flows high for a moment to do its triple-jump. And with water, everything will look effortless whereas with stone, it's clear to the eye where the impact is.

I think it's fair for a stone to win as long as it has done a higher technical level than the rest of the field.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But I don't think her posture and positions are beautiful. She looks really stiff and wooden on the ice. Stiff shoulders, arms, and ankles.

Am curious - if you think Laura is "stiff and wooden" - who do you think has good posture and elegant flowing lines? Who has expressive choreo and really performs well to the music?

And why do you think the best judges from ISU were not able to agree with your views?

hurrah

Medalist
Am curious - if you think Laura is "stiff and wooden" - who do you think has good posture and elegant flowing lines? Who has expressive choreo and really performs well to the music?

Sasha Cohen, Oksana Baiul, Asada Mao, Mirai Nagasu

And why do you think the best judges from ISU were not able to agree with your views?

Well, the scoring system is such that a skater whose skating can be likened to stone is the one that is rewarded.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
No....she won silver, Sarah won OGM, although with today's technical panel Irina WOULD have won because almost all of Sarah's triples would have been downgraded....

Lol but that was then so the theory doesn't even hold up!! Maybe Laura will be the Olympic champion in Sochi but I can't see her being the world champion next year. Not at all. Maybe if Mao isn't there, but why wouldn't she be.