Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Laura Lepisto - - - 2011 World Champion? Yes or.... No?

Laura Lipisto is a beautiful skater. I think this thread is so early in the season.

Custom Title
    OksanA Baiul '94
    TarA Lipinski '98
    IrinA Slutskaya '02
    ShizukA Arakawa '06
    YunA Kim '10
    LaurA Lepisto '14

Forget world champion, Laura Lepisto is going to be an OGMist.

Laura has some pretty awesome qualities - the type of qualities that are missing from:

Rachael Flatt
    Miki Ando

Fumie Segurie
    Rachael Flatt

Irina Slutskaya
    Rachael Flatt

Bebe Lang
    Rachael Flatt

Laura is an artist on the ice - she is animated and she has beautiful posture and positions.

Who cares about predictions like this in the off-season.
    Those who don't like Laura don't like beautiful skating.

Custom Title
    But it could also be AdelinA ElizavetA, AlenA, KseniA, PolinA or AnnA. The Russian girls are looking good, then...

I think Laura has great speed. Huge. If someone told me Laura used to train as a speed skater but then decided to pursue a career as a figure skater, I would believe it.

And I agree she has a way of using her facial expression that makes her look very seductive on the ice.

But I don't think her posture and positions are beautiful. She looks really stiff and wooden on the ice. Stiff shoulders, arms, and ankles.

I think skaters who have great speed on ice just tend to have that kind of physical presence, while skaters who have less speed show beautiful lines and flexibility.

Sort of like the former uses his/her body like a stone, the latter uses his/her body like water on the ice.

But I can admire when a stone is speeding along the ice, and when that stone suddenly does triple-jumps, I do think it will be more explosive in terms of spectacle than if a water that's just been flowing on the ice like a moving fountain flows high for a moment to do its triple-jump. And with water, everything will look effortless whereas with stone, it's clear to the eye where the impact is.

I think it's fair for a stone to win as long as it has done a higher technical level than the rest of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    But I don't think her posture and positions are beautiful. She looks really stiff and wooden on the ice. Stiff shoulders, arms, and ankles.

Am curious - if you think Laura is "stiff and wooden" - who do you think has good posture and elegant flowing lines? Who has expressive choreo and really performs well to the music?

And why do you think the best judges from ISU were not able to agree with your views?

Custom Title
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by flattfan View Post
    oksana baiul '94
    tara lipinski '98
    irina slutskaya '02
    shizuka arakawa '06
    yuna kim '10
    laura lepisto '14

forget world champion, laura lepisto is going to be an ogmist.
    Irina won an OGM in 2002?

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Am curious - if you think Laura is "stiff and wooden" - who do you think has good posture and elegant flowing lines? Who has expressive choreo and really performs well to the music?
    Sasha Cohen, Oksana Baiul, Asada Mao, Mirai Nagasu

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    And why do you think the best judges from ISU were not able to agree with your views?
    Well, the scoring system is such that a skater whose skating can be likened to stone is the one that is rewarded.
    Last edited by hurrah; 04-07-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo error on Oksana's and Sasha's names

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    L Irina won an OGM in 2002?
    No....she won silver, Sarah won OGM, although with today's technical panel Irina WOULD have won because almost all of Sarah's triples would have been downgraded....

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    No....she won silver, Sarah won OGM, although with today's technical panel Irina WOULD have won because almost all of Sarah's triples would have been downgraded....
    Lol but that was then so the theory doesn't even hold up!! Maybe Laura will be the Olympic champion in Sochi but I can't see her being the world champion next year. Not at all. Maybe if Mao isn't there, but why wouldn't she be.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Lol but that was then so the theory doesn't even hold up!! Maybe Laura will be the Olympic champion in Sochi but I can't see her being the world champion next year. Not at all. Maybe if Mao isn't there, but why wouldn't she be.
    Maybe Silverlake is on to something here. If we can put Laura in a time machine - maybe she can go back and win the 2002 OGM.

Wondering - by 2014 - will Laura be 25 or 26?
    She is one of the few skaters that I typically enjoy no matter where she places. The girl lights up the ice and I wish more skated the way she did.

Custom Title
    I'm mixed on the subject.

On the one hand, Laura is a beautiful skater. She's so fluid and natural on the ice. She's the type of skater that makes me wish there was ice dance for single skaters (internationally, I mean) because the way she expresses the music is lovely. Of the bronze medal candidates this year (Lepisto, Kostner, Phaneuf, and Ando), she's the one I enjoy watching the most (Phaneuf has me on edge too much; ditto Kostner)

But I want a skater to have more too. If she wins a world championship like she won her bronze, I'd be disappointed. The level of competition would have to be quite low for that to happen, I think. On the other hand, if she delivers a program like her Olympic program (five triples, even if it's just two toes, two loops and a lutz), I won't begrudge her too much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Sasha Cohen, Oksana Baiul, Asada Mao, Mirai Nagasu
    Sasha, Oksana, Mao and Mirai all have good posture and elegant flowing lines indeed, but perhaps you are conflating flexibility with good posture and positions? Laura isn't the bendiest skater out there, but she does hits good positions and has decent posture when she skates.

To me, Laura has an elegant and refined style that reminds me of the older generation of skaters before uber-flexibility became the rage (and I mean that in the best way possible).

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Sasha, Oksana, Mao and Mirai all have good posture and elegant flowing lines indeed, but perhaps you are conflating flexibility with good posture and positions? Laura isn't the bendiest skater out there, but she does hits good positions and has decent posture when she skates.

To me, Laura has an elegant and refined style that reminds me of the older generation of skaters before uber-flexibility became the rage (and I mean that in the best way possible).
    I don't find Laura Lepisto's posture and position to be beautiful, but they are okay. She does maintain a very upright posture, and I think her positions are, as you say, 'decent'.

I admire her speed tho!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    L Irina won an OGM in 2002?
    In my mind, she did. Phonetically, Sarah name ends with an A.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast