Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ina Bauer into a 2A

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I read that, too, in magazines featuring skating, saying that flexibility makes it more difficult to center a solid axis. I do not know if this is an authentic theory though.

(As a very low-level skater, I recall having been told by one of my coaches that I was too flexible and too soft to jump well, but that might have been something different, too.)

Midori Ito, Tonya Harding, and Joannie all seem muscular and have power. But most elite skaters seem both flexible and powerful to some extent. To do a Biellmann, you gotta be super flexible from the standard of ordinary female adults.
    Well, Irina Slutskaya was a powerful jumper who was also quite flexible and surely did a lot of catchfoot moves of various sorts.

Michelle Kwan, OTOH, was not very flexible.

That's really another topic. FLEXIBILITY. It's not in the Rules, afaik.
    What fans of figure skating see are body contortions which are left over from childhood. Flexibility is what an Orthopedist would look for when treating patients having trouble walking, running, lifting - anything related to muscles.

For the skating fan, it is putting a leg up higher than her competitor, or pull her leg up in front of her while spinning. Ballerinas all have arabesques with the free leg in position from low, medium and highest, and most can go beyond that. But for them it's the choreography that matters. Pulling up a leg in the "I" position while spinning is pure acrobatics as is tap dancing on roller skates.
    The difference in the "i" spin and a ballerina's is that the ballerina is on toe and does NOT use her hands to pull it up to position and her partner will hold his hand with her for balance. I would be impressed if the free leg got to the"I" position without the use of the skater's hands. WOW.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I would be impressed if the free leg got to the "I" position without the use of the skater's hands. WOW.
    I suspect it's not impossible for a selected few, lol of course skates weigh quite a few pounds more than pointe shoes!

Pulling up a leg in the "I" position while spinning is pure acrobatics as is tap dancing on roller skates.
    The difference in the "i" spin and a ballerina's is that the ballerina is on toe and does NOT use her hands to pull it up to position and her partner will hold his hand with her for balance. I would be impressed if the free leg got to the"I" position without the use of the skater's hands. WOW.
    Actually, pulling up a leg in the I position while spinning is also an exercise in balance beyond flexibility or acrobatics as you call it.

While spinning, it would be almost impossible to get to the I position without the use of arms due to the physics of centripetal force.

With regard to the spirals being disbursed throughout the program, that doesn't meet the rule requirements and losing between 2 and 3.5 points for the element and an addition -1 in the SP for failure to attempt all the requirements would really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Actually, pulling up a leg in the I position while spinning is also an exercise in balance beyond flexibility or acrobatics as you call it.

While spinning, it would be almost impossible to get to the I position without the use of arms due to the physics of centripetal force.

With regard to the spirals being disbursed throughout the program, that doesn't meet the rule requirements and losing between 2 and 3.5 points for the element and an addition -1 in the SP for failure to attempt all the requirements would really suck.
    I agree about the I spin but that doesn't make me like it as having beautiful line. For me, it's everyday acrobatic tricks. Just not impressed. Prefer Butryskaya's Camel Spins.

Spirals and the Rules are well known. If the Rules would put Spirals in MIF where they belong, it would improve choreography.

Custom Title
    Spirals and the Rules are well known. If the Rules would put Spirals in MIF where they belong, it would improve choreography.
    That's now the case for the junior ladies' long program. What do you think of those?

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    That's now the case for the junior ladies' long program. What do you think of those?
    Super! Now a choreographer can put a beautiful spiral in a program which bests fits the music and not worry about points. A beautiful spiral with good line is soooo much about ladies' figure skating and it enhances the program soooo much. Nothing wrong with the 'Open Fan' in another part of the program. The catch foot spiral, for me is just plain bleh, although it could be used for a character performance.

As it is now, those 3 displays of spirals stop the program cold.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Karen Magnussen of Canada - Olympic Silver Medalist and World Champion made this move very popular and in fact it was always a part of her programs as she was so good at it. Here is a video of her world championship program - 1973 - she elected to do a bauer into a flying sit spin in this program, but it is still fantastic. The footage is sort of grainy, but worth watching for the historic value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIH9SUftXSg

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Karen Magnussen of Canada - Olympic Silver Medalist and World Champion made this move very popular and in fact it was always a part of her programs as she was so good at it. Here is a video of her world championship program - 1973 - she elected to do a bauer into a flying sit spin in this program, but it is still fantastic. The footage is sort of grainy, but worth watching for the historic value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIH9SUftXSg
    Great video. She had it all - super technique - great line - superbflow, and non stop. Few skaters today can match that.

Custom Title
    I have made some progress on layback ina bauer lately but to recover from the layback and go immediately into the waltz jump (well, no axel in the near future lol) is really problematic. Any advices on transitioning from bauner into waltz? (balance / weight transfer ?) Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by jjane45; 04-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2