Favorite and least favorite NBC/Universal Commentators this year | Golden Skate

Favorite and least favorite NBC/Universal Commentators this year

koheikun90

On the Ice
I am really glad that NBC and Universalsports used a variety of commentators to call this season. It brought a wide ranges of perspectives and opinions. Who was your favorite and least favorite?

My favorite of all time is Paul Wylie because he is very educated about the judging system and actually teaches viewers about the sport. He educates the viewers on the importance of edge quality and basic skating skills.

My favorite new comer was Jenny Kirk. She did an excellent job calling the 4CC's. I love her speaking voice, too. It's very smooth and pleasant to listen to. She also had a lot of interesting and relevant things to say. I hope NBC gives her more competitions to call.

Least favorite was Sandra Bezic. She's way too biased and speaks at the wrong times . For example she said something really corny about Kozuka "finding his artistic voice on the ice." It really ruin the moment for me when I was getting into his music and the edges of his footwork. Her commentary was getting so bad that I waited for the full raw replay on NBColympics.

Least favorite new comer, Johnny Weir. I guess mostly because he interrupted Tara Lipinski a lot. Instead of feeding off of her comments and creating some dialogue he seemed to dismiss it. Don't get me wrong I like Johnny Weir as a skater and a public figure but not as a figure skating commentator.

youtubo

Rinkside
Best commentators: Scott Hamilton, Johnny Weir, Sandra Bezic. They all know where to focus.
Least favorite : Tara Lipinski, talk too much at the performances. Lack of focus.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Sandra Bezic always strikes me as nice, but she's way too corny for my tastes. I didn't really like any of the NBC/Universal commentators. I much prefer EuroSports (British). They usually highlight the best in each skater and with class. I also like their British accents:laugh:

cornell08

Final Flight
Favorite: Lipinski! She really knows her stuff. Its not just 'oh shes a pretty skater' its 'she needs to drop her left shoulder on her takeoff.' I could watch her and Johnny with Carruthers all day.

Least: Andrea Joyce's cringeworthy AT&T Lounge question and answer moments. But ok for actual commentators: the perennial choice, Scotty Hamilton.

stevlin

On the Ice
fav commentators

I thought Tanith and Ben did a great job on ice dance.

I prefer Paul Wylie, he knows his skating. I can't stand Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic. Scott screams and Sandra says corny stuff. Peter Carruthers is ok but I am tired of him saying "strong back to do that jump". Or "cat like ability".

Bennett

Record Breaker
I watched the Loft on Youtube. It was so much fun! Johnny is fun and Tara is fun! They looked so relaxed together on the sofa. They provide very honest opinions and both are very intelligent, articulate commentators. Johnny is not afraid of expressing his likes and dislikes and Tara is also not afraid of predicting the comp results and providing criticism.

I hear ppl admire Tara's commentary and I wish if I could have seen the comp covered by her, too. If anyone has a link to her commentary during competitions, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please give the link (I live outside the US so that the coverage on that site does not work for me).

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not a Tara fan at all but she is good at commentating. I really enjoy most of her comments..even the comments about the flawed jumps since she had so many in her own skating. I just wish she would make things less and less about herself.

Scott is still annoying to me.

Overall I like Paul Wylie the most and the British guys.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Paul Wylie was on and on about Patrick Chan, saying his skating skill was so much better than everyone else. Daisuke just couldn't match. Then in the AT&T lounge, Johnny called him on that.
Dai regularly does level 4 footwork, if that's not SKATING SKILL, I don't know what is skating skill.
Paul Wylie can be just as biased as Scott and Sandra. At least with Sandra, you know she'll go all out on certain skaters. Miki hadn't started and she already trashed the poor girl.

I like actress Tara, but she always brought it back to her competitive career day and drew parallel comparison between the ones on ice and her skating.
Andrea Joyce was pretty good throughout the season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Favorite was Tara. She knew what she was talking about and wasn't as sugary sweet as the usual NBC ladies. Tanith and Ben got off to an awkward start but I thought they were holding thier own by the freedance.

Scott drives me crazy with his screeching during every jump, I think he hit his all time high at Nationals and seemed a little more reserved at the Olympics. Glad they did not have him doing worlds. Can't stand Peter Caruthers, everything he says sounds scripted.

Sandra Bezic and Andrea Joyce are pretty useless and I still have no idea why Tom Hammond sat through every event at the olympics.

I hope that they bring back the newbies next year: Tanith and Ben, Tara maybe Johnny as well.

berrycute

On the Ice
I think Sandra is ok, Scott is a bit annoying though. I always liked Peggy (and I think she had a lot to put up with, Dick was such a microphone hog!).

I didn't really like either Tara or Johnny, too much self-promoting. Jenny was good, I thought. Tanith and Ben I haven't heard yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tanith and Ben by a thousand miles. That is the best COP ice dance commentary I've heard so far, even better than Chris & Simon on Eurosport, because B&A had better technical comments and even can call why a step sequence lost a level, or what's difficult about a particular lift. And they found something nice to say about all the teams they commented on.

I liked Johnny a lot, too, on the loft. I haven't watched the men yet, nor the ladies LP. I've just finished the dance competition and the ladies SP.

Least liked would be Scott Hamilton. He is a nice guy, but he really has little to add about what is going on with the scoring and on the ice any more. Second less liked, Sandra Bezic.

nubka

Final Flight
I really enjoyed Tara's commentary. I hope Universal will have her around next season. :thumbsup:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Only Lipinski, I thought, REALLY offered insightful commentary that allowed the viewer to learn from her as the broadcast went on. She has the type of technical analysis that is sorely missing in NBC's main broadcast team (Hamilton/Bezic) and even ABC's former team of Button/Fleming. I get the feeling she knows the system and can convey what's important in a way that is not confusing. My sole criticism of her is that she should work on her timing a bit, but other than that, I thought she was miles ahead of all the others. I hope they bring her back in the future- maybe even one day gear her up as a replacement for the incumbent(s) (yeah, yeah, not happening, I know)

flatsee

Spectator
Johnny, Tara, Peter and Paul rocked it, imo. Loved their commentary, insight and enthusiasm. Johnny, in particular, was intelligent, funny, honest and absolutely riveting. Would've loved to have hung out in the loft with some of this crew!

bibi24

Final Flight
Tom Hammonds (Least Favorite)
- god awful accent
- always trying to stir up controversies
- captain obvious
- cross sports references

Scott Hamilton- used to be really good, but seems to be getting outdated with the current crop of skaters and scoring system. Tends to defer everything to the judges nowadays since his miscalculations at SLC. Also not as insightful as Dick Button and other commentators (on other networks) when it comes to basic skating.

Favorites:
- Tara Lipinski- keeping it fun! I like commentators bringing back their skater days.
- Sandra Bezic- choreographed so many beautiful programs, sharing with us what is beautiful skating.
- Paul Wylie- knows his stuff and shows appreciation where it's due

Last edited:

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Least favorite was Sandra Bezic. She's way too biased and speaks at the wrong times .

I watched the Loft on Youtube. It was so much fun! Johnny is fun and Tara is fun! They looked so relaxed together on the sofa. They provide very honest opinions and both are very intelligent, articulate commentators.

Johnny, in particular, was intelligent, funny, honest and absolutely riveting.

Scott drives me crazy with his screeching during every jump

Sandra Bezic and Andrea Joyce are pretty useless

:agree:

I also usually like Paul Wylie and for past commentators, Terry Gannon, when he was commentating.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
i like tara and tanith and ben-
fyi i only watched the worlds on universal sports

tara did sound like she knew what she was talking about. so i liked her.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I have to say that I've never been a fan of Tara BUT I really enjoyed her commentary. I'm hoping they keep her as well as Jenny Kirk, Johnny Weir and Tanith & Ben. They did good bringing back Uncle Dick and Terry Gannon :)

I was really looking forward to Kristi but am neutral on her. I'm also neutral on Paul Wylie, he is knowledgable but does get biased

mixed on Sandra Bezic, normally I'm not a fan of her but she makes several comments that I agree with.

Not a fan of Scott or Peter

can't stand Tom Hammond :p (mispronounes names or calls them the wrong name altogether not to mention giving wrong/useless facts)

I also can't stand Andrea Joyce, "I know you are trying to hold back the tears, but how does it feel to fail infront of sooo many people?". Or "you did a great, so let's talk about how horrible you were last year". Really?! Woman go back and torment people at gymnastic competitions...no wait I watch that as well. Just go away.