Korea's next leading lady | Golden Skate

Korea's next leading lady

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She's got a very pretty dress there. :)

I'm not expert, but she might want to work on her extension or flexibility and maintain speed when she goes into jumps.

But hey, she's only twelve. There's definitely room for improvement! :)

cooper

Medalist
She's got a very pretty dress there. :)

I'm not expert, but she might want to work on her extension or flexibility and maintain speed when she goes into jumps.

But hey, she's only twelve. There's definitely room for improvement! :)

Hopefully she will continue to improve.

This is how Yuna will create a legacy, seeing another South Korean skater on the top of the world someday.

Figure88

On the Ice
Very impressive. So much poise and control for a 12-year old. She looks very promising. Maybe the next Yuna Kim?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I personally like Kwak better but this little girl is technically excellent and has a very bright future ahead of her for 13 years old! I hope to see her on the JGP in the coming season, hopefully she will do very well!

wallylutz

Medalist
Her Triple jumps seem fairly impressive for someone of her age. But that's about it. Everything else is pretty novice level and not significantly different to another comparable of her age. Times to times, we'll see a few very young girls with a gift for jumping. The hard part is how they manage the obstacle that will come with becoming a teenager and the expected growth. It may cause them to lose their ability to jump and have to re-learn everything from the scratch. It's way too premature to put this young girl on the radar but I understand the need to look for the next one given the uncertainty surrounding Yu-Na Kim's future. If this girl is 12, she won't be eligible for World Championship for at least another 3 years or so. That's a very long time in the skating world. Let's try to keep the expectations in check before this produces yet another burn-out due to unrealistic expectations.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kim Na-Young... what happened to her did she retire?

No, not that I know of, Min-Jung Kwak just beat her at the Olympic qualifiers and nationals so she got to go to the Olympics and Worlds with Yuna instead of Na-Young.

aurora100

Final Flight
Korea's next leading lady. What a title. Kim Yuna's OGM is still warm and this. My goodness, I am glad I'm not an up and coming female figure skating from South Korea. The expectation to be next Yuna Kim is too much for anyone to bear. Anything can happen in those tender years. US figure skating is full of promising young girls who peaked at 14 - 16 and didn't materialize. I am looking forward to seeing all up and comers from all over the world for next four years and given all of them a fair chance.

Figure88

On the Ice
Wish they improve a lot under the better circumstances than ones under which Yuna trained years ago.
Another 12/13 year old girl who is friends with Haejin. So-yeon Park http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-ak1iiBck

For those who are interested, E.Tuktamyshev http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a42_3Eeg93Y

Yuna at the age of 12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-vZqKpt_E

Thank you for the clips. Wow. Yuna was such an amazing talent even at 12. Our Korean girls don't even compare. I suppose that for elite skaters, such as Yuna, you either have it or you don't. There really isn't such a thing as "blooming later" or acquiring such talent later.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thank you for the clips. Wow. Yuna was such an amazing talent even at 12. Our Korean girls don't even compare. I suppose that for elite skaters, such as Yuna, you either have it or you don't. There really isn't such a thing as "blooming later" or acquiring such talent later.

I disagree, Joannie Rochette, Jeremy Abbott, and Laura Lepisto are all great skaters that I would consider late bloomers. Joannie didn't find such great success until recently, and she's 24, the same goes for Jeremy. Laura is turning 22 in a few weeks and only has been competing on the senior level for a few years and has made tremendous progress. Conversely, some skaters who are great at a very young age like 12 don't live up to their potential in later years, examples being Caroline Zhang, Kimmie Meissner, and Bebe Liang.

Figure88

On the Ice
I disagree, Joannie Rochette, Jeremy Abbott, and Laura Lepisto are all great skaters that I would consider late bloomers. Joannie didn't find such great success until recently, and she's 24, the same goes for Jeremy. Laura is turning 22 in a few weeks and only has been competing on the senior level for a few years and has made tremendous progress. Conversely, some skaters who are great at a very young age like 12 don't live up to their potential in later years, examples being Caroline Zhang, Kimmie Meissner, and Bebe Liang.

Well, I was only speaking of certain types of skaters. In terms of jumping ability, though, I think you really need to show advanced talent at a young age. Both Yuna and Mao, I believe, were skating "prodigies" in this area; hence, their ability execute difficult jumps beyond ability of their peers. Artistry, you could probably acquire at a later age.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Wow, I'm excited to see all these new skaters for 2012!

Russia VS South Korea VS Japan for 2014!?

wait, is there any young skaters from the US?:confused:

I know Mirai Nagasu is great but anyone younger? I also like Adelina Sotnikova's skating!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_327e4ktyQ

And this Korean girl, Park So-Yeon, I think skates really gracefully and is great to watch, she placed 3rd at the South Korean Nationals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRf5owWiIE

And Mao was pretty amazing at 13 too... Like WOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxwDIW-qzs&feature=related
:love::love:

Last edited:

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
NO ANOTHER YUNA KIM in SIGHT

I don't see anybody has potential to become the NEXT Yuna Kim.

Not only in Korea but the whole world.

Enjoy Yuna Kim while you can...
Another Yuna Kim won't come easy.

Figure88

On the Ice
I don't see anybody has potential to become the NEXT Yuna Kim.

Not only in Korea but the whole world.

Enjoy Yuna Kim while you can...
Another Yuna Kim won't come easy.

LOL! I agree with you. She has a way of expressing herself on the ice that sets herself apart from the other ladies. It's visible even at 12 in the Carmen number.

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
Well, she is great, but I was wondering how tall she is. Her jumps aren't so high. She'll be better in 4 or 5 years.
I think we will hear her name.
And I agree she won't be Yu Na, there is only one Yu Na Kim!

Bijoux

Match Penalty
she's just a baby! tho i have no doubt yuna's money and inspiration will bring along some great little skaters, most 12 year old phenoms don't make it to age 16. She's cute, what can ya say? Watch Michelle at 12 or 13 on youtube. She was so good but no one knew she'd be around that long. well, maybe Frank did...

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
True. 3-4 yrs ago, I thought Kimmie, Mirai, and Caroline would be rounding up top 5 in Vancouver along with Yuna and Mao. Mirai came close, but Kimmie and Caroline didn't even make the team. I can hardly get excited about a 14yr old skater let alone 12.