Best and worst costumes of the season | Golden Skate

Best and worst costumes of the season

koheikun90

On the Ice
What skaters had the best and worst costumes of the season? I personally love simple costumes that do not distract from the skating but enhances the program. The skating should speak for itself. I think HD TV has changed the face of skating because I had no idea so many rhinestones were used in skating! Plus Project Runway is on, so I'm kind of in the mood. Anyway...

Pairs SP:
Best- Shen/Zhao.
Worst- Volosozhar/Morozov. She had the body for it but he looked really tacky.

Pairs LP:
Best - Savchenko/Szolkowy. The vintage costumes was very appropriate for the music.
Worst: Morand/Dorsaz. Fake burberry?

Men's SP:
Best: Takahiko Kozuka
Worst: Azbal Rakimgaliev
*I never really cared for Johnny Weir's taste but I really liked his SP costume this year, even with the tassel.

Men's LP:
Best: Evan Lysacek (Nationals). Gray and black are is favorite combination and the fit was very flaterring. I also liked the caged shurg. I was disappointed he didn't use it at the Olympics.
Worst: Evgeni Plushenko. He look like a craps dealer gone wrong. Also, Alban Preaubert. He might as well wore an Ed Hardy t-shirt and did a program about the Jersey Shore.

OD:
Best: Davis and White. Very authentic Indian attire.
Worst: Dominina and Shabalin. Tacky, offensive, just plain bizzare. Its like they made their costumes from the fake plant section at walmart. Also Beier/Beier, I was quite offended, too.

Free Dance:
Best: Ilynikh and Katsapalov. (WJC) Dramatic yet understated. Controversy yet tasteful.
Worst: Belbin and Agosto. Ben just looked sloppy this season. I think it was the hair.

Ladies SP:
Best: Yu Na Kim
Worst: Rachel Flatt. It just was flat.

Worst: Alena Leonova.

*For Yu Na Kim, I don't expect anything less from someone who's net worth is $9M.

lyton

Rinkside
Pairs SP:
Best- Shen/Zhao
Worst- Volosozhar/Morozov

Pairs LP:
Best - Pang/Tong(OGM)

Men's SP:
Best: Daisuke Takahashi

Men's LP:
Best: Nobunari Oda

Ladies SP:
Best: Mao Asada(TEB)

Ladies LP:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Men's: LP. Johnny.
Men's SP. Nob.
Ladies LP. Lepisto. Very pretty. All of the Akiko's dresses were pretty good, too. Ashley. Simply fantastic. Caro's. Simply beautiful.
Ladies SP. Ashley. absolutely beautiful. Mao (the pink one with a bouquet of flowers that she wore at COR, Nationals, and 4CC). Caro's Worlds.

Worst
Miki's LP costumes, except for the first beige one and the Oly. The tiger one at Nationals was the worst.
Kiira's neon costume. Who designes her costumes and how happy she is with them? Good for her that her beauty is not ruined regardless. Give her better costumes and how much more beautiful she may look.
Caro's SP costume. Earlier in the season. Embarrassing.
Elena's. The black one that covers up to her neck makes her look older than she is.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Worst:
All of Miki's SP costumes. They are busy and make her look heavier than she is. She looks great in those black pants she practices in, slim, athletic, nice lines - she should really considering wearing a unitard for one of her programs next year, I think it would play in her favor, her jumps look so crisp in practice in those tight black clothes.
Rachael's SP and LP costumes. Not the best color choices for her skintone.

Best:
Yuna's SP costume
Amanda Dobbs SP and LP costume
Mirai's SP costume
Ashley's LP costume
Cynthia's LP costume

Wrlmy

Medalist
Best: Kiira's lp dress, very chic and classy. Elena Glebova's lp dress, dramatic and striking. Miki's brown cleopatra dress, very flattering to her figure and gorgeous.
Yuna's sp dress, very unique and sexy in haute couture way.

Worst: Kiira's sp dress, made her look like a highlighter, Alena's lp dress, nothing Roxy about that dress, Miki's entire costume collection, Mao's mint sp dress at TEB, so glad she wore it only once.

jian10

Rinkside
No one's complaining about Mao's LP costume?:unsure: I liked her pink SP costume, though. Her new SP at the Olympics looked more like lingerie.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
For the men, I liked..
- Joubert SP and LP
- Chan's LP
- Sawyer's LP
- Brezina's LP
- Reynolds SP

worst:
- Lysacek LP.. I hate snakes
- Rakimgaliev LP (I think it was LP, or it might have been SP.. but anyway, the burgundy, pink and white shirt.)
- Johnny Weir SP - just way too girly.. for some reason some pink was alright on Brezina's LP costume, but Johnny's just looked.. wrong.. like that garter thing.. ack
- I think this was the SP for Lambiel, but anyway, the one with the puffy sleeves

For the ladies I can't think of any costumes that I hated. I did like Joannie's SP, Mirai's LP, and Mao's SP.

For the pairs, I liked both Denney and Barrett's, Savchenko and Szolkowy's LP, both Shen and Zhao's, and Pang and Tong's LP. I didn't like Kavaguti and Smirnov's LP one. Didn't like Bryce Davison in just a shirt for his LP with Jessica either.. I know it was supposed to fit the theme but they could have had something a BIT fancier than that.. she was in a nice dress..

Dance favourites:
- Virtue & Moir FD
- Davis & White FD
- Domnina & Shabalin CD (not the OD hahahaha)
- Delobel & Schoenfelder FD
- Hoffman & Zavozin OD
- Navarro & Bommentre FD
- both OD & FD for Carron & Jones
- Samuelson & Bates FD
- Weaver & Poje OD & FD

Yeah, I really like dance costumes..

Worst for dance:
- Belbin & Agosto OD
- Domnina & Shabalin OD (WORST EVER!!)
- Navarro & Bommentre OD
- Crone & Poirier FD (weird colour for both of them)
- Khokhlova & Novitski FD

RockTheTassel

Rinkside
Favorite Costumes:

- Jeremy's SP. Some people have complained about it, but I liked it a lot. It suits him well, looks different from the other costumes, and has some style without being over the top.
- Daisuke's SP. Very stylish!
- Johnny's SP. With my username, how could I not mention this one? ;-) I understand the hate for it, but I love it because it's just so... Johnny. He's the only one that could pull it off.
- Patrick's LP. I love how elegant and sophisticated he looked.
- Johnny's LP. It worked very well for the program, I loved the detail, and just thought it was overall beautiful.
- Ashley's SP. Elegant and pretty, and I liked how she wore colors not typically used. The one sleeve also drew attention to her graceful arms.
- Joannie's SP. Very lovely, intricate, and original.
- Yuna's SP. My favorite costume this season. It's stunning and fit the program perfectly.
- Yuna's LP. A very close second to her short program costume. I love how it's fairly simple yet looks amazing on her.
- Ashley's LP. The color was very pretty on her and I love the flowers on her shoulders and in her hair.

I don't watch pairs or dance much, but I loved Meryl's and Charlie's OD costumes and Tessa's and Scott's FD costumes.

Least Favorites:

- Nobunari's SP. It just didn't work for him, IMO.
- Samuel's SP. Just... no.
- Miki's SP. So heavy and the cross in the middle... ugh.
- Miki's LP. Too revealing and once again strange.
- Alena's LP. Just not flattering and didn't fit the music.
- Domnina and Shabalin's OD. Ew. I almost turned the tv off.

Ah, the figure skating costumes. :rolleye:

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Ladies SP:
Best: Ashley
Worst: Yu-Na

Ladies LP:
Best: Joannie
Worst: Kiira

Mens SP:
Best: Jeremy
Worst: Nobunari

Mens LP:
Best: Evan
Worst: Plush

Pairs SP:
Best: Shen/ Zhao
Worst: Volosozhar/Morozov

Pairs FS:
Best: Savchenko/Szolkowy
Worst: Volosozhar/Morozov

For all three dance disciplines:
Best: Virtue/ Moir
Worst: Domnina/ Shabalin

jennylovskt

Medalist
Best:

Men:
Brian Joubert's SP (It suits him well.)
Jeremy Abbott's LP (His blue blouse has tasteful, long lasting appeal.)

Ladies:
Yu Na Kim's SP and LP (Especially her LP costume)
Mao Asada's LP

Dance:
Virtue/Moir (Everything about this pair is perfect.:biggrin::love:)

Pairs:
Shen/Zhao

Worst:

Men:
Johnny Weir's SP and LP (His last a couple of seasons' costumes are all in this category.)

Dance:
Domnina/ Shabalin

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
No one's complaining about Mao's LP costume?:unsure: I liked her pink SP costume, though. Her new SP at the Olympics looked more like lingerie.

Haha so true! She's gone for the lingerie look a few times with Tarasova, remember the black outfit she wore last season?

My fav lady's outfit this year was Ashley's purple LP dress, very fine detailing and it worked well with the music. Also loved Sasha's red SP dress, Laura's purple SP dress, Caro's (2nd) red SP dress and Mao's TEB SP dress (reminds me of an ice cream cake!).

Bennett

Record Breaker
The only Johnny costume I did not like very much throughout his skating history was his SP. I generally like guys wearing pink, but that one just did not work for me and I did not find that costume most flattering to Johnny's beauty. I liked a previous red/black/white one better in my avatar.

aurora100

Final Flight
Ladies SP:
Best: Ashley
Worst: Yu-Na

Ladies LP:
Best: Joannie
Worst: Kiira

Are you serious? There is a you tube video of a story done on the costume designer based out of Montreal, Canada. She has done costumes for Joanne and Yuna this year and she has done costumes for many elite skaters. In it she says that she considers Yuna's Bond Girl SP costume her master piece and one of the most important pieces of her work. She spent something like 200 hours putting every single rhynestone on it. She also did Yuna's LP dress

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
I completely detested Cynthia Phaneufs Worlds LP costume. (Cleopatra). It looked as if she had wrapped a towel around her hips.:eek:

Lissy

Medalist
Are you serious? There is a you tube video of a story done on the costume designer based out of Montreal, Canada. She has done costumes for Joanne and Yuna this year and she has done costumes for many elite skaters. In it she says that she considers Yuna's Bond Girl SP costume her master piece and one of the most important pieces of her work. She spent something like 200 hours putting every single rhynestone on it. She also did Yuna's LP dress

Could you put up a link or the name of the video please? That sounds interesting, I'd like to watch it. :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Men's LP:
Best: Evan Lysacek (Nationals). Gray and black are is favorite combination and the fit was very flaterring. I also liked the caged shurg. I was disappointed he didn't use it at the Olympics.
Ladies LP:
Worst: Alena Leonova.

*For Yu Na Kim, I don't expect anything less from someone who's net worth is $9M.

I agree that Evan's outfit at Nationals was the best of the season, but knowing how superstitious he is I knew he would not wear it to the Olympics considering his less than spectacular skate at Nationals. Instead he went with the one he won the GPF with.

Agree about Yu-na. For me Laura Lepisto was the best dressed in the LP and she is not making that kind of money. But Yu-na certainly looked regal, yet also simple.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Worst: Can we just say all the Russian teams? Because I/K, D/S, K/N (those red monstrosities) all had pretty terrible costumes. Oh, and Vanessa Crone's early OD dress. Wow that was bad. Poirier's early suit too.

Best: Virtue/Moir's FD. Kim's SP. Rochett'e SP. Kozuka's SP. S/S' LP.

kayla

Spectator
Honestly, I´m not a fan of Yu-Na´s SP outfit either. For my taste, it had too many rhinestones on it, and the colour of some of the stones (brown/amber) didn´t match the black fabric of the dress itself. Moreover, I don´t like the cut of this dress - I think it makes her look heavier around the hips than she is.

To avoid misunderstandings - I´m not a crazy Mao fan who hates Yu-Na, I just don´t like that special dress. Her LP dress is very pretty.

Last edited: