Best and worst costumes of the season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best and worst costumes of the season

prettykeys

Medalist
Are you serious? There is a you tube video of a story done on the costume designer based out of Montreal, Canada. She has done costumes for Joanne and Yuna this year and she has done costumes for many elite skaters. In it she says that she considers Yuna's Bond Girl SP costume her master piece and one of the most important pieces of her work. She spent something like 200 hours putting every single rhynestone on it. She also did Yuna's LP dress

Honestly, I´m not a fan of Yu-Na´s SP outfit either. For my taste, it had too many rhinestones on it, and the colour of some of the stones (brown/amber) didn´t match the black fabric of the dress itself. Moreover, I don´t like the cut of this dress - I think it makes her look heavier around the hips than she is.

To avoid misunderstandings - I´m not a crazy Mao fan who hates Yu-Na, I just don´t like that special dress. Her LP dress is very pretty.
kayla, how dare you.

Just kidding. ;)

I have a strong hunch that YuNa's costume designer has been with her for a while now; at least as far back as 2006. She is especially gifted at making lovely, flowing skirts (not choppy, good length.) Her costumes for YuNa in the past two seasons seem to follow a similar template (Danse Macabre, Scheherazade, Gershwin all look very similar, and I'm fine with that. :)) I think her most beautiful dresses for YuNa are the Lark Ascending and Gershwin. I think she did the Lark Ascending, because the upper body cut looks similar to Joannie's blue-green dress from last year, and again, the flow of the skirt is exceptional. I especially like the combination of silver-blue and a little bit of canary yellow at the back of the skirt; it's an unexpected combination of colours, and (teehee) it reminds me of the rump of a bird. LOL I know it sounds perverted, but I don't mean it that way at all. When I first noticed it, I was delighted.

http://www.zamzows.com/Documents and Settings/41/Site Documents/Pet/peach-fcd-lovebird-lrg.jpg

That lovebird has a blue rump. So, just like that. (I love birds! :biggrin:)

When I first saw the Bond dress and the blue Gershwin dress in a photograph side by side, I thought the Bond dress looked so much more ornate and the Gershwin dress so plain. I happen to also love the combination of amber/gold on black, it looks decadent and luxurious. I can see why the designer considers it one of her masterpieces (i.e. she probably has a photograph or copy of it to show potential clients.) However, I realized that YuNa's best photographs, in my opinion, are in her Gershwin dress. The cut and style is pure class. The back is gorgeous. The Bond dress is comparatively stiff and "boxy" around the hips, whereas the Gershwin dress is all flowing whatever position YuNa is in. I wondered why the designer didn't put any rhinestones on the skirt of the Gershwin dress; it is probably because she wanted the skirt to flow like that. Finally, the color (cerulean-sapphire) was impeccably chosen to match YuNa's skin and black hair, and it is one that isn't used often in figure skating costumes. Joannie's dresses are in a slightly greener turquoise blue, which is brilliant on her because her hair is blonde and her skin is beige-pink. The deeper and purer blue of YuNa's Gershwin better suits YuNa's colours.

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/images/yuna_kim.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01576/kim-yuna_1576783c.jpg

As for the comment that perhaps it's related to YuNa's income ;), at least she gets it right at the first time instead of trotting out multiple costumes throughout the season. Saves money and lets her focus on the real stuff, eh?? EH?? :biggrin:

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
Haha.. My mother actually liked his costume... she said it was "interesting" (give her a break because she is not used to watch figure skating)... Kevin has been known for strange costumes.

modernaire

Spectator
Best: Yuna Kim's SP (Very fitting for a Bond girl, I thought), Virtue/Moir Olympic FD (A vision in white), Mao Asada's 4CC SP rose costume (I agree with the Oly one looking lingerie-ish but this one was adorable)

Worst: The entire Russian team (Would not have looked out of place in the 80s winter games), Stephane Lambiel's Oly SP (I love him but it just looked like a rejected Shakespearean costume with a mop on each shoulder) and I know many might disagree but Mao Asada's Ex outfit (Somehow looked like a dominatrix outfit to me O.O)

Layfan

Record Breaker
My very favorite costume was Yuna's SP dress without a doubt! It managed to be simple and original and elegant at the same time. And she looks great in the color.

Also liked: Laura Lepisto's LP costume, Joannie Rochette's SP (nice to see her out of old fashioned pastels), Mirai Nagasu's LP (I thought it was simple but fun. Perfect for her version of Carmen and also for her first major international competition), Alissa Czisny's first SP costume (wish she had kept that one for nationals).

Hated: Miki Ando's LP. Ugh. Way too much going on. Mao Asada's LP (to me it totally exemplified the poor packaging of that girl this season. So heavy.) Also not such a fan of Joannie Rochette's LP costume, I have to say. It was cheesy. And not all that flattering.

Mens: This year I loved Evan's LP, Patrick Chan's LP, Johnny's SP and Ryan Bradley looked so darned cute in his LP costume.

Hated: Well, many, but especially Evgeny's LP costume. Craps dealer gone wrong is right! Whoever put him in that ridiculous thing deserves to be smacked. Didn't love Brian Joubert's LP costume either. He looked like cheap mobster... or worse. Good thing he's so hot. Also that weird iguana/rambo costume that Belgian skater wore for his LP was :eek: To say nothing of the skeleton thingy.