Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite skating rivalry of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm glad Kurt didn't respond in kind. But then, Kurt seems to be a gentleman--a trait I'm valuing more and more as time goes on.
    His parent's taught him right.

Custom Title
    Cerulean, that's a lovely feature about the two Brians. It shows their character as well as their achievements. And it demonstrates that the rivalry between Orser and Boitano was one of the great ones in terms of its contributions to skating, because of the technical advances that resulted from it. What's nice is that both Brians remained active in skating as pros in competition and also in innovative programming. Anyone remember the Carmen they did with Katarina Witt? I believe Boitano was Don Jose while Orser was Escamillo. Also, there was a really interesting narrative skate-dance done to Holst's The Planets, starring the Duchesnays and choreographed by Lar Lubovitch. Brian Orser portrayed Mercury, on skates, while most of the other gods were played by dancers. The long arm of coincidence: Venus was played by a ballerina...none other than Sonia Rodriguez, later to become Mrs. Kurt Browning. I located at least part of it on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwa3vct-kiU

And now Orser is a coach of Olympic caliber! Don't you love it when things turn out well?

Custom Title
    I would choose Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry.

The second must be the battle of the Brians.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    My fav from videos
    Battle of Brians
    Battle of Carmens

My fav in real time
    The Kween vs anyone, but the rivalry with Irina was the most adorable
    Yagudin vs Plushenko
    Yuna vs Mao

Plushenko vs Lysacek? lol. Nope, not even for a fluff. Evan won Evgeni in the Olympics. Thats about all the rivalry. They were not the only two fabs for gold, like 2002 olys. Even Brian or Stephane vs Evgeni would be more valid to name it rivalry over the decade. Otherwise by result Plushenko vs Sandu was also a rivalry?I dont think so.
    This is a good point-There was no rivalry between Sandhu and Plushenko-Sandhu just beat Plushenko in one event-like Lysacek. Real rivalries are like Plushenko and Yagudiin or Witt and Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Cerulean, that's a lovely feature about the two Brians. It shows their character as well as their achievements. And it demonstrates that the rivalry between Orser and Boitano was one of the great ones in terms of its contributions to skating, because of the technical advances that resulted from it. What's nice is that both Brians remained active in skating as pros in competition and also in innovative programming. Anyone remember the Carmen they did with Katarina Witt? I believe Boitano was Don Jose while Orser was Escamillo. Also, there was a really interesting narrative skate-dance done to Holst's The Planets, starring the Duchesnays and choreographed by Lar Lubovitch. Brian Orser portrayed Mercury, on skates, while most of the other gods were played by dancers. The long arm of coincidence: Venus was played by a ballerina...none other than Sonia Rodriguez, later to become Mrs. Kurt Browning. I located at least part of it on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwa3vct-kiU

And now Orser is a coach of Olympic caliber! Don't you love it when things turn out well?
    "Carmen on Ice" is one of my all time favorite figure skating movies. We recorded it when we had HBO. I am so thrilled for both Brians, for their many great accomplishments and I sense they have great respect for each other too.

Custom Title
    Yagudin/Plushenko best battle at all!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Roca/Sur and Punsalen/Swallow was a friendly rivalry that ended unwell. The 2 US dance teams were very friendly until P/S objected to the expediting of Sur's citizenship for the 1994Olympics.
    Yes that was funny I remember that one

Brians
    Kwan vs. Slutsk

I wouldn't consider Mao vs Yuna a rivalry since Yuna has to mess up for Mao to win. Maybe in the future when Mao's improved her technique.
    Last edited by piano18; 04-12-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    Yes that was funny I remember that one

Brians
    Kwan vs. Slutsk

I wouldn't consider Mao vs Yuna a rivalry since Yuna has to mess up for Mao to win. Maybe in the future when Mao's improved her technique.
    Hmm.... But isn't it common situation that in a rivalry, one skater would win over the other if the other messes up? It's not like Irina could win if Michelle did not make mistakes. I guess you could say the rivarly was not as intense as it was a few seasons ago. However, it seems like Mao is still the closest rival Yuna has at present, since she's the only who has shown to take advantage of Yuna's mistakes since Yuna entered her dominant period.
    Last edited by miki88; 04-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Medalist
    I'm suprised that only one other person has mentioned the Johnny vs. Evan rivalry. I guess its not so much a rivalry on the international field, but it is/was in the US. My first skating rivalry was Tara vs. Michelle.

My favorite rivalries are:

Ladies:
    -Tara vs. Michelle
    -Michelle vs. Irina
    -Sasha vs. Irina
    -Yuna vs. Mao*

*I'm not sure if I would techincally consider this a rivalry because Yuna is in a league of her own. Yuna has to mess up big time for anyone to even come close to beating her. A perfect Mao can not beat a perfect Yuna. Take Michelle vs. Irina for example--a perfect Irina could beat a perfect Michelle. I hope all that makes sense.

Men:
    -Lysaceck vs. Weir
    -Plushenko vs. Yagudin

Pairs:
    -Elena/Anton vs. Jamie/David
    -Shen/Zhao vs. every other pair

Dance:
    -Tanith/Ben vs. Meryl/Charlie
    -Tessa/Scott vs. Meryl/Charlie

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    I'm suprised that only one other person has mentioned the Johnny vs. Evan rivalry. I guess its not so much a rivalry on the international field, but it is/was in the US. My first skating rivalry was Tara vs. Michelle.

My favorite rivalries are:

Ladies:
    -Tara vs. Michelle
    -Michelle vs. Irina
    -Sasha vs. Irina
    -Yuna vs. Mao*

*I'm not sure if I would techincally consider this a rivalry because Yuna is in a league of her own. Yuna has to mess up big time for anyone to even come close to beating her. A perfect Mao can not beat a perfect Yuna. Take Michelle vs. Irina for example--a perfect Irina could beat a perfect Michelle. I hope all that makes sense.

Men:
    -Lysaceck vs. Weir
    -Plushenko vs. Yagudin

Pairs:
    -Elena/Anton vs. Jamie/David
    -Shen/Zhao vs. every other pair

Dance:
    -Tanith/Ben vs. Meryl/Charlie
    -Tessa/Scott vs. Meryl/Charlie
    Could a perfect Irina really beat a perfect Michelle? I always thought Michelle had the edge in the second marks if both went clean. Is Lysaceck vs Weir really a rivalry anymore? It seems Johnny has fallen out of a favor with the judges for a long time now.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Yagudin vs. Plushenko for the men and Kwan vs. Slutskaya for the women are the best I think.
    I agree with these two... both showcased skaters at their peak pushing each other. I'm not sure if any of the four would be considered "the best" if the other wasn't there to spur them on... it was always very Harry Potter v. Voldemort

Neither could live while the other survived... so miss that in figure skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Could a perfect Irina really beat a perfect Michelle? I always thought Michelle had the edge in the second marks if both went clean. Is Lysaceck vs Weir really a rivalry anymore? It seems Johnny has fallen out of a favor with the judges for a long time now.
    If Irina did one or two 3-3s, then yes she could beat Michelle because she would get higher technical marks to make up for her slightly lower artistic marks. Irina did many difficult 3-3s in her career while Michelle only occasionally did 3t-3t and often didn't do a 3-3 at all so I say that is a fair assertion. Michelle had very nice, solid jumps but Irina's were just so huge and powerful, she really thrives under CoP (huge GOEs) so if we're using CoP instead of 6.0 then it's definitely possible, just given the higher base values of Irina's programs and her big GOE on jumps compared to Michelle.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I believe it was possible for a perfect Irina to beat a perfect Michelle. As for the Lysacek vs. Weir issue, just because it's not a rivalry anymore, does not mean that it never existed.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    I believe it was possible for a perfect Irina to beat a perfect Michelle. As for the Lysacek vs. Weir issue, just because it's not a rivalry anymore, does not mean that it never existed.
    Of course it existed. I just found it weird that you don't consider Yuna vs Mao a rivalry technically when it was at one time more intense (on an international level) than Lysacek vs Weir.

Tripping on the Podium
    Ladies -- Tara/Michelle

Men -- The battle of the Brians
    Yagudin/Plushenko

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast