Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite skating rivalry of all time?

Custom Title
    Chen Lu / MK
    Todd Eldredge / Elvis Stojko
    Todd Eldredge / Scott Davis
    Emanuel Sandhu / Jeff Buttle
    Midori Ito / Kristi Yamaguchi
    Nobu / Dai
    Kurt / Boitano
    Weir / Lysac
    Plush / Yags
    Last edited by bibi24; 04-15-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Chen Lu / MK
    Emanuel Sandhu / Jeff Buttle
    Nobu / Dai
    You have some really interesting choices. I have never really considered Chen Lu and MK as rivals. Chen Lu had problems with consistency, esp. with her lutz, so her track record pales in comparison. Both were exquisite, but while I listed MK as the heavy favorite to win gold in Nagano, I didn't see Chen Lu even on the podium.

In 94-95, they met once and that was at Worlds where Chen Lu won gold and MK was 4th. In 95-96, MK won everything she entered, while Chen Lu was 2nd at WC, 4th at the final and 2nd at SA. In 96-97, MK and Chen Lu were 2nd vs. 25th (Worlds), with Chen Lu withdrawing from her Grand Prix assignments. In 97-98, MK won everything except the Olympics, where she came second to Lu Chen's 3rd. They have met six times with Chen Lu winning only once. Chen Lu was a great skater who had all the goodies, but couldn't keep on top of the game.

On the Ice
    I was born in 1990 so the earliest rivalry I can remember was Tara Lipinski and Michelle Kwan
    which had a lot of potential to be great but fizzled out too soon.

So from the ones I actually remember I'd go with:
    Michelle Kwan vs. Sasha Cohen
    Michelle Kwan vs. Irina Slutskaya
    Alexei Yagudin vs. Evgeny Plushenko
    Johnny Weir vs. Evan Lysacek
    Yuna Kim vs. Mao Asada
    Brian Joubert vs. Patrick Chan (love the talk and the quads vs. artisty)

Custom Title
    Caroline Zhang vs. Mirai Nagasu during their junior days. They were just too cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    No Johnny killed that rivalry. Sure he tried all he could to keep it alive with "rivalry" comments to the press but the fact is that talk does not make a rivalry. It aids fuel to the fire when there are tow skaters repeatedly battling it out for the same title, but if one of said skaters does not actually challange the other when the the lights go down, the rivalry is dead. The fact that Johnny's last national title was in 2006, his only world medal came when Evan did not compete speaks for itself. The fact that Johnny has grown less consistent while Evan grew more so pretty much sealed the dea.
    I agree with you. As much as the media would like a rivalry, Johnny's own performances killed this rivalry. This year was Johnny's best since his last title win and his choreo, while lovely, did not have enough to win with COP without 'help' at the world level. The rivalry was probably valid from about 2004-2007. I think they pushed each other then, but now it's Jeremy that's pushing Evan at Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    Back to Johnny and Evan. At the national level, Johnny could beat Evan based upon his skating. Johnny didn't always have to wait for Evan to mess up or not show up at all. But I think that rivalry has died down the past few years because of the new skaters that are coming on the scene and the fact Evan has been the USFS's "golden boy" for years (I guess he literally is their golden boy now!). It's no secret that the folks at US Figure Skating don't like Johnny, the judges don't like him and they punish him when the scores come up (remember what happend in Vancouver?). US Figure Skating killed that rivalry.
    It is not the fault of the judges, that Weir has not had decent CoP programmes while competing in CoP-competitions. In my opinion he has gotten the scores he deserves (e.g. in Vancouver).

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I think they pushed each other then, but now it's Jeremy that's pushing Evan at Nationals.
    I think a top skater needs to aim to do his best = to peak in the most important competition of the season (Olympics or Worlds), the Nationals is not that competition. I remember how disappointed I was as in one Nationals Evan seemed to put his all to win that title, which he did. But he was not as great in the Worlds after that... I have been very happy for his silver and bronze medals in the Nationals, because they are all one needs to be able to compete in the major competition of a season.

My favourite rivalry has been the battle of Brians.
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-16-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Rinkside
    MK/Chen Lu
    MK/Sasha
    MK/Tara
    Mao/Yuna
    Mao/Joannie- Very interesting to see them next season. So far, Joannie edges Mao 3v2 face to face for the last two years. If I include Japan Open 2009, then four wins for Jo over Mao two. In terms of avg scores, they are very close to each other.
    Ito/Yamaguchi
    Mirai/Laura- won't speculate for this two, but very exciting to see.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Caroline Zhang vs. Mirai Nagasu during their junior days. They were just too cute!
    I totally agree and will be a bit disappointed if Mirai v. Caroline is only a memory. Granted, Mirai v. Rachael has some serious potential to be ooddles of fun to watch - the artist vs. the technician. Those are always fun!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    I totally agree and will be a bit disappointed if Mirai v. Caroline is only a memory. Granted, Mirai v. Rachael has some serious potential to be ooddles of fun to watch - the artist vs. the technician. Those are always fun!
    Yeah, well I have a feeling Rachael will go to college either this year or next year and make it her top priority, so I think more realistically we may see Mirai vs. Ashley, Christina, Agnes or (fingers-crossed she sorts out her technical issues) Kiri .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObZCjKHFaY
    http://web.icenetwork.com/media/play...70949217&_mp=1

They were so cute and little. I think there's still the possibility that Caroline might have a comeback.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Kwan/Lipinski

Yagudin/Plushenko

Plushenko vs Yagudin
    Kwan vs Slutskaya
    Anissina & Peizerat vs Fusar-Poli & Margaglio

Banned
    Would you say that kerrigan and yamaguchi were rivals? It seemed to me that Yama was always favored over Nancy and both were very polite, pc skating princesses.

Kerrigan never felt Tonya was in her league in terms of looks, costumes, acceptance from the small skating community. Does it take two to make a rivalty? Obviously Tonya thought Nancy stood between her and Olympic gold. I don't remember those years say 89-93, after Witt stopped competing and the medals were available then.

Where did Jill Trenary fit into the picture. I remember loving her skating and thinking how adorably cute she was. Where did she fit in with the ladies?

Custom Title
    As I recall, Trenary retired when they eliminated school figures. She knew she couldn't compete against the powerful jumpers such as Ito, and she luckily got her World Championship the last year when school figures were part of the competition. The next year's champion, predictably, was Ito.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    As I recall, Trenary retired when they eliminated school figures. She knew she couldn't compete against the powerful jumpers such as Ito, and she luckily got her World Championship the last year when school figures were part of the competition. The next year's champion, predictably, was Ito.
    I believe Midori won her only WC in '89. Jill did win in '90 and Kristi won in '91 and '92.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    didn't school figures end in 1992? Jill won her title, IIRC in 1990?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast