Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Excellent Stats: Yuna and Mao, Senior Seasons ( brought from Yuna Forum )

  1. #31
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    True true, but I mean Mao's 3a is sicknasty.
    OK, I am assuming that "sicknasty" is a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    In the future, if both girls continue to compete, of course it could change and Mao could overtake Yuna. Do I think that will happen? No. But, if Mao gets her 3lz and 3sal back and picks better programs, then could it happen? Absolutely.
    I think the triple Lutz is the key. Her programs are fine, and she can count (as can Kim) on uniformly high program component marks across the board, etc.

    But a lady with a triple Axel and no triple Lutz is like a man with a quad but no triple Axel. You give back most of the advantage that the higher-level jump brings.

    For instance, if Mao does 3A and 3A+2T = 16.9 points, and Kim counters with 3Lz and 3Lz+4T = 16.0 points (plus GOE), then Kim is just as sicknasty as Asada, and the triple Axel advantage has disappeared altogether.

    The ISU just killed Asada when they changed the rule to penalize flutzes. By trying to fix the flutz, Asada lost the jump entirely.

  2. #32
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
    So? What's wrong with that?

    Seriously. If Yuna attracts a new group of admirers to take an interest in a sport that most people consider fluff, good.

    But just so I won't be accused of being Yuna-focused, I'll throw in a few other names:

    Miki, Rippon, Witt, Pele, Oprah, George W. Bush...
    WORD.

    I don't want to start again, I got 2 notifications already.

    Carry on.

  3. #33
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    OK, I am assuming that "sicknasty" is a good thing?



    I think the triple Lutz is the key. Her programs are fine, and she can count (as can Kim) on uniformly high program component marks across the board, etc.

    But a lady with a triple Axel and no triple Lutz is like a man with a quad but no triple Axel. You give back most of the advantage that the higher-level jump brings.

    For instance, if Mao does 3A and 3A+2T = 16.9 points, and Kim counters with 3Lz and 3Lz+4T = 16.0 points (plus GOE), then Kim is just as sicknasty as Asada, and the triple Axel advantage has disappeared altogether.

    The ISU just killed Asada when they changed the rule to penalize flutzes. By trying to fix the flutz, Asada lost the jump entirely.
    Doesn't the base value for 3A and 3A+2T amount up to 17.7? (8.2+8.2+1.3)
    And if Yuna does 3Lz and 3Lz+4T, the base value will be 21.8!

    I agree that bringing back the Lz and S jumps will be the key for Mao, especially Lz. Then having 3A makes it at least potentially possible to have 8 triples in the LP, which will give her a huge advantage over ALL other ladies (btw I think the base value for 3A is already high enough because of this), and make up for the advantage that Yuna has in the SP. And then her average score throughout a season will be closer to Yuna's than to Joannie's. Of course this is if Yuna continues to compete and both remain in top forms. A lot of 'if's that we will have to just wait and see.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    OK, I am assuming that "sicknasty" is a good thing?



    I think the triple Lutz is the key. Her programs are fine, and she can count (as can Kim) on uniformly high program component marks across the board, etc.

    But a lady with a triple Axel and no triple Lutz is like a man with a quad but no triple Axel. You give back most of the advantage that the higher-level jump brings.

    For instance, if Mao does 3A and 3A+2T = 16.9 points, and Kim counters with 3Lz and 3Lz+4T = 16.0 points (plus GOE), then Kim is just as sicknasty as Asada, and the triple Axel advantage has disappeared altogether.

    The ISU just killed Asada when they changed the rule to penalize flutzes. By trying to fix the flutz, Asada lost the jump entirely.
    3lz+4t?! . I think you meant 3lz-3t. And I agree the comparison is similar. Men who do quads don't always win though, and in the SP it doesn't seem to be of any help at all. I mean, Jobert and Verner have been doing 4t-3t in their SPs for the past few seasons and still don't manage to outscore skaters like Chan and Takahashi who do combos that are worth almost 4 points less.

    About the lutz, I think it's important to get it back. The 3a is very high risk low reward because even if it's landed, it would only earn you 2 points more than a 3lz, and under-rotating the jump costs you 5 points. In the SP especially, that's killer, because at Worlds Mao's combination was worth less than 5 points, so Mirai even without getting her 3-3 ratified was still able to beat her because a 3lz-2t is worth about 2.5 points more.

  5. #35
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Doesn't the base value for 3A and 3A+2T amount up to 17.7? (8.2+8.2+1.3)
    What!? A triple Axel is worth 8.2 points? That's a lot of points. That's an awful lot of points. What are people talking about who want it to go even higher?

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What!? A triple Axel is worth 8.2 points? That's a lot of points. That's an awful lot of points. What are people talking about who want it to go even higher?
    It is but a downgraded 3a is more costly than any other triple downgrade, losing you 5 points instead of roughly 3.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
    So? What's wrong with that?

    Seriously. If Yuna attracts a new group of admirers to take an interest in a sport that most people consider fluff, good.

    But just so I won't be accused of being Yuna-focused, I'll throw in a few other names:

    Miki, Rippon, Witt, Pele, Oprah, George W. Bush...
    Cerulean, Bijoux was not "accusing" you or anyone. S/he made an observation that this thread with a title of "excellent stats of 2 skaters" was actually focused on YuNa, (with all the "queen Yuna rules") by the representative(s) from Yuna forum. I have to say reading this thread initially was confusing, because threads on stats are supposed to be neutrai, and analytical. The poster (who confrirmed that s/he is from Yuna forum, with permission from Yuna forum to post the stats) gave the appearance of starting a thread about stats, but to some readers it is Yuna focused. I thought this will be a discussion on stats (and stats discussions usually are analytical, not "in short who wins") , until one fan in post #12said "in short Yuna wins". Then later after the smoke/ mirror and fog cleared a bit, it is very clear that this is a not just a thread intended to be Yuna focused, but it is a thread brought to GS from Yuna forum for some Yuna fans to claim bragging rights (just look at #26 and 29). FS is a sports and some fans do have a need to brag, but what was confusing at first was that the bragging was hidden behind the so call "they are both so amazing". I mean if fans want to brag just brag away, why hide behind the "they are both fantastic / amazing" smoke and mirror? Why not give the thread a correct title "Yuna will kick eveyone's butt", why call it "stats on 2 skaters"?
    Now what you mentioned about YUna can draw ppl to the sports e.g. that IMO belongs more to the gushing type of message. I usually see more gushing type of threads, e.g. my favorite skater is the most beautiful etc. this is the first time I see thread that is started for fans to claim bragging rights.

    So if you want to gush, start a new thread and gush away, (of course it would be nice if you don't start the gush thread with a misleading title) Not sure why you feel the need to bring in Miki, Rippon.
    Last edited by rtureck; 04-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #38
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    Cerulean, Bijoux was not "accusing" you or anyone. S/he made an observation that this thread with a title of "excellent stats of 2 skaters" was actually focused on YuNa, (with all the "queen Yuna rules") by the representative(s) from Yuna forum. I have to say reading this thread initially was confusing, because threads on stats are supposed to be neutrai, and analytical. The poster (who confrirmed that s/he is from Yuna forum, with permission from Yuna forum to post the stats) gave the appearance of starting a thread about stats, but to some readers it is Yuna focused. I thought this will be a discussion on stats (and stats discussions usually are analytical, not "in short who wins") , until one fan in post #12said "in short Yuna wins". Then later after the smoke/ mirror and fog cleared a bit, it is very clear that this is a not just a thread intended to be Yuna focused, but it is a thread brought to GS from Yuna forum for some Yuna fans to claim bragging rights (just look at #26 and 29). FS is a sports and some fans do have a need to brag, but what was confusing at first was that the bragging was hidden behind the so call "they are both so amazing". I mean if fans want to brag just brag away, why hide behind the "they are both fantastic / amazing" smoke and mirror? Why not give the thread a correct title "Yuna will kick eveyone's butt", why call it "stats on 2 skaters"?
    Now what you mentioned about YUna can draw ppl to the sports e.g. that IMO belongs more to the gushing type of message. I usually see more gushing type of threads, e.g. my favorite skater is the most beautiful etc. this is the first time I see thread that is started for fans to claim bragging rights.

    So if you want to gush, start a new thread and gush away, (of course it would be nice if you don't start the gush thread with a misleading title) Not sure why you feel the need to bring in Miki, Rippon.
    What makes you think it's Yuna centric? One thing it's sicken is that there is no Joannie.

  9. #39
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    You won't what?? Try to read minds" Since you are quoting my reply to Lillth about reading minds.
    Anyway you think it is silly to argue who is better? Did I miss something? Is this a thread about arguing who is better? I thought this is a thread about stat brought to GS from YuNa forum?

    Now silverlake that is more like it to be a superfan. Afterall FS is a sport, and bragging right is part of sports at least for some fans. So I think it is absolutely OK to brag. I mean in any other sports like hockey, some fans will be bragging, probably in a more direct way, e.g. my hockey team will kick your team's butt . I guess only in FS some fans are trying to brag in the round about way of "lets look at the fantastic stats, I think they are both fantastic". No need to hide behind the "they are both amazing" .
    Muah as a canadian, I can clearly see who was better for the past four years.

  10. #40
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brian Orser is now my favorite Canadian, after Ike.
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    Cerulean, Bijoux was not "accusing" you or anyone. S/he made an observation that this thread with a title of "excellent stats of 2 skaters" was actually focused on YuNa, (with all the "queen Yuna rules") by the representative(s) from Yuna forum. I have to say reading this thread initially was confusing, because threads on stats are supposed to be neutrai, and analytical. The poster (who confrirmed that s/he is from Yuna forum, with permission from Yuna forum to post the stats) gave the appearance of starting a thread about stats, but to some readers it is Yuna focused. I thought this will be a discussion on stats (and stats discussions usually are analytical, not "in short who wins") , until one fan in post #12said "in short Yuna wins". Then later after the smoke/ mirror and fog cleared a bit, it is very clear that this is a not just a thread intended to be Yuna focused, but it is a thread brought to GS from Yuna forum for some Yuna fans to claim bragging rights (just look at #26 and 29). FS is a sports and some fans do have a need to brag, but what was confusing at first was that the bragging was hidden behind the so call "they are both so amazing". I mean if fans want to brag just brag away, why hide behind the "they are both fantastic / amazing" smoke and mirror? Why not give the thread a correct title "Yuna will kick eveyone's butt", why call it "stats on 2 skaters"?
    Now what you mentioned about YUna can draw ppl to the sports e.g. that IMO belongs more to the gushing type of message. I usually see more gushing type of threads, e.g. my favorite skater is the most beautiful etc. this is the first time I see thread that is started for fans to claim bragging rights.

    So if you want to gush, start a new thread and gush away, (of course it would be nice if you don't start the gush thread with a misleading title) Not sure why you feel the need to bring in Miki, Rippon.
    Eh? How is my post gushing?

    Quote Originally Posted by skateflatt View Post
    What makes you think it's Yuna centric? One thing it's sicken is that there is no Joannie.
    I was just throwing out random names and trying to be funny but apparently failed miserably. I shall now go sit in the corner and lurk in silence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •