Yuna and Mao in the same room | Golden Skate

Yuna and Mao in the same room

Basics

On the Ice
Interesting!~ At the time, Mao answered "Yes", and Yuna "No" to a statement saying "I'm going to win the Vancouver Olympic gold medal. Ironic much?

yeah, Mao certainly doesn't like to lose. I can totally see that.

prettykeys

Medalist
I remember seeing the longer interview...this Japanese show had a friendly atmosphere and was really well-done. At one point I think YuNa was prompted to ask Mao a question in English, and she asks her, "Did you...have lunch?" LOL And Mao says "hai" (yes) and YuNa says "me too." LOL

Anyway, here are the questions as best as I could understand them (note it's a 2-step translation, English from the Korean from the Japanese):

1) Bulgogi (a Korean marinated meat dish) is most delicious
2) I'm still growing/becoming taller
3) I'm confident I'll smile at the end of a performance (the question might also be saying "I'm confident I'll be satisfied at the end of each performance")
4) Although I like skating, I also want to fall in love
5) I'm frankly scared of my mother
6) Even if I were born again, I'd choose to be a skater
7) There was a time when I got dizzy from doing a spin
8) I don't like to lose
9) At the Vancouver Olympics, I'll be the one who gets the Gold
10) If I win the Olympic Gold medal, I'll want to live as a normal girl

sunny0760

On the Ice
Mao/Yuna Q&A session, Apr 8, 2007 / Japanese TV Show

1. My favorite food is Yakiniku(Bulgogi, Korean style barbecued beef). M:yes Y:no
2. My height is still growing. M:no Y:yes
3. I am confident I can smile brilliantly when finishing the performance. M:yes Y:yes
4. I like skating but also I want to love someone. M:yes Y:yes
5. Honestly, my mom is scary. M:yes Y:no
6. If I were to reborn, I would be a skater again. M:yes Y:no
7. I have felt dizzy, when I spin. M:yes Y:no
8. Characteristically, I really hate to lose. M:yes Y:no
9. I will be the one who wins the gold medal at the Vancouver Olympics. M:yes Y:no
10. This is the last question. If I get gold, I want to live as a normal girl. M:yes Y:yes

Last edited:

jjane45

On the Ice
Wow that's indeed really cute. I think Yuna was slightly uncomfortable with the program (hence more reserved or even uninterested at times) while Mao felt completely at home (assuming it was a Japanese show). It's possibly also shown by Yuna's body language, her back was totally straight throughout the video.
Thank you for the translations ^_^

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist

Hmmmm. Interesting answer for Yuna...no wonder why they wanted her to be a happy skater first.

treeloving

Medalist
I love this thread. Thank for the video.
It so fun that Mao answered "yes" to first question while Yuna answers "no" in the first question.

Why Mao giggle so much?

jjane45

On the Ice
But if your mom is TRULY scary, you will never find the guts to admit so :p
I was curious about #9 before the translation was out, because both ended up covering up the mouth while laughing.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I love this thread. Thank for the video.
It so fun that Mao answered "yes" to first question while Yuna answers "no" in the first question.
Why Mao giggle so much?

It's well known that Mao is a big fan of Korean food. She likes Bulgogi very much and when she competed at 4CC, she ate Bibimbap which is famous local food of Chonju(where 4CC was held). According a recent article, she went to a fancy Korean restaurant after training with her family.
She also seems to be K-pop fan too. The same article says, she was influence by her sister, Mai, who has already been a big fan of TVXQ. It's told that TVXQ's Junsu is Mao's type.

Don't know why she giggled so much but remember they were both 16 back then. Very teenage like responses from both.
Both are lovely and both are fighters. Also interesting to see that No.8.
8. Characteristically, I really hate to lose. M:yes Y:no

Nobody wants to lose. But Yuna has always said that she does not skate for the purpose of winning/high scores, but skates to connect with people. I think Yuna is more in the reseved, introverted, cautious and thoughtful side. More boyish than girlish.:)
Glad she grew more expressive.

cosmos

On the Ice
This is also interesting... 5. Honestly, my mom is scary. M:yes Y:no :biggrin:
I thought media always portrayed yuna's mom as a scary, obsessed mom! I never believed it though.

I don't remember any media from any country portrayed YuNa's mom scary and obsessed. It was some biased people here who did that.

Hmmmm. Interesting answer for Yuna...no wonder why they wanted her to be a happy skater first.

I don't think it was related to her being unhappy with skating. I can understand her. I have spent my entire life so far as a scientist. I love being a scientist. But, if I were to reborn, I would love to have different experience.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
She also seems to be K-pop fan too. The same article says, she was influence by her sister, Mai, who has already been a big fan of TVXQ. It's told that TVXQ's Junsu is Mao's type.

Mao like Junsu!, I always think she might be a good match with Yoochun.:p

Don't know why she giggled so much but remember they were both 16 back then. Very teenage like responses from both.
Both are lovely and both are fighters.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean it in a bad way,just wonder why she seem to had so much fun.:biggrin:

Agree that both are fighter and lovely.