Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skaters dissed on Joan of Arcadia

Skaters dissed on Joan of Arcadia

Do you guys watch Joan of Arcadia? It is my favorite TV show this season (not counting the one-time Andy Griffith Mayberry retrospective this week, LOL).

So this story is about a girl who talks to God, like Joan of Arc, only He doesn't tell her to conquer France. God appears in the form of various people and tells Joan to do various strange things. Naturally, just like in real life, Joan gets in a lot of trouble trying to understand God's Plan and obey His Commandments, but it all works out in the end.

Anyway, last night Joan's father, the chief of police, needed a metaphor for fluffhead, so he said, "That's like asking a figure skater about the state of the economy."

There were two more referrence to the quote during the show, like Joan's brother said, hey, Dad, why the crack about figure skaters?

I am going to write to CBS and protest. I will mention:

Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes, Yale undergraduate.

U.S./World Champion and Olympic medalist Debi Thomas, Stanford graduate and orthopaedic surgeon.

U.S., World and Olympic Champion Tenley Albright, M.D.

U.S, World and two-time Olympic Champion Dick Button, Harvard Law School graduate.

U.S. Champion and Olympic medalist Paul Wylie, Harvard graduate.

I am going to tell CBS that the only way the millions of U.S. Figure skating fans will forgive them is if they invite Sarah Hughes to make a guest appearance on the show. This will fit in perfectly, because one of the story lines is about Joan's friend who wants to quit school to become a full-time artist, so Sarah could show him that he can be an artist and a scholar at the same time, or something like that.

Who else should I put on my list of famous skaters who have excelled acedemically and in the professions?

Mathman

Gwedell P.......(sorry Grgranny, I can't spell it) that won an OGM at SLC. Doesn't he have a few university degrees? Also, aren't Matt Savoi and Amber Corwin university students too?

yes they are

as is MK, Timmy Goebel(though both have put them on hold...)

I haven't seen it... but the actor who plays Joan's brother in the wheelchair is John Ritter's eldest(?) son... I thought that was neat

Skating Soprano
    So...my choice of footwear and the fact that I can doa single flip on a good day now makes me stupid? Ok...so I dont have a collage degree (but thats pretty darn rare for 15 year olds...so you cant hold it against me)...but I do go to a good school and I do understand econ...

Skating Soprano
    I would mention Henie on your list. you have to understand marketibility to do what she did...thats for sure. I mean...who cares about collage? thats not always the best measure of how smart people are.

I'm with you, Mathman.........you tell them....let's start a petition!!!!......................42

Skater Girl
    Petition! I agree! As a skater and a high school student who's studying econ on the academic decathalon team...

On the Ice
    i agree with the petition! There are certain sports/activities that people usually seem to attack on their intelligence level like cheerleading but ice skating? im offended lol.

Go, Lanie! (That's my niece's name, BTW. Except its really Noelani, which means "heavenly mist" in Hawaiian.)

Instead of a petition, we can each do this (I already did). Go to

http://www.cbs.com/

Click on "feedback" down at the very bottom of the page. Check "complaint" and under "Choose a CBS category," go "Joan of Arcadia." Then type whatever you want into the dialogue box.

I assume that a short message is just as effective as a long one, and more likely actually to be read. I think they do, however, at least count how many people complain about various things. I wouldn't be surprized if this show gets complaints about the theology that it is presenting, treating a serious subject (the relation between us and God) in a light-hearted manner. (Personally, I think that God would approve -- I don't see any lightning bolts hurlting down on the set.))

I decided not to send my list of all the skaters who had distinguished themselves academically, because it would make the email too long. But I did suggest that they make ammends to us by having a skater come on in a guest appearance. Actually, I think that CBS might pay attention because I assume, due to the nature of the show, that there is a pretty good demographic match between figure skating fans and people who watch this show.

Mathman

Good idea Mathman, I'm on it............42

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Derrick Delmore is a college graduate and I think Jeff Buttle is going to school.

Dee

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Skaters dissed on Joan of Arcadia

Mathman:

Karen Magnussen, World Champion (1973) and Olympic Silver Medalist (1972) - attended Simon Fraser University while still in training.

You give them whatfor!

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Matt Savoie received his degree from Bradley University last year. There sure are quite a few skaters who have college degrees and I think that statement was quite a rude remark for that show. I am surprised by it actually. I didn't think that this was that type of show to put down someone (or many someones in this case) so I am really shocked by this. I enjoy that show very much but I missed this past week's show. I think I will need to send a brief message to CBS now.

Go Figure!
    Coaching the Psychonettes....oops the one on the end fell again!
    Gee, I am an adult figure skater with graduate degrees.

I didn't know that every time I put on my skates my IQ was going to drop a point!!

Obviously the remark was written by some screen writer who really doesn't have a clue about figure skaters. Talk about fluffhead.

It could also be that they're trying to show the person in a different light... who knows they may come up with a topic on homosexuality(which is basically another off subject on skating) and the dad will have a huge problem and Joan has to save him (if that happens I think that's where the real "problem" will arise with the show... then again with churchs today who knows)

Like I said I haven't seen the show... and I don't think God actually comes down so much as His messengers do... but it's a different way of looking at things... It's hollywood so ultimately it's going to have some serious doctrinal issues... so I take it with a grain of salt... I'm just into that sort of TV (give me CSI with it's blood and guts and gorey stuff! LOL) so I don't really watch it(I'm not a big TV person anyway)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast