Dai requests another rink to be built at his univ | Golden Skate

Dai requests another rink to be built at his univ

Bennett

Record Breaker
Translation

On Jan 12, at the supporting event for the Oly, Mr. Takahashi said, "If I win a medal, I would like another rink to be built at Kansai Univ." He achieved the outcome. On 2/19 at the cheering event of the Oly at Kansai Univ, President Mr. Uehara who overheard that comment made it clear, "We have to think about it when we expand the campus."

In 2006, Kansai Univ built a rink on Takatsuki campus. This was realized because the President at that time overcame the opposition. It costs 800 million yen to build and 35 million yen for maintainance (US$1= 93 yen). The success of Takahashi and Oda enhanced the image of Kansai University for figure skating.

Source (Kansai Univ Web Info Magazine)
http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51823042.html

As a person who works in academics, I never want to work for a university with this kind of mentality (imagine how inbalanced their budgets seem to be as an academic institution? So strange.). But I am happy for Dai and Nob that they are so supportive. They are pretty lucky and fortunate:)

^ Yes, usually universities wait until someone dies (or donates a lot of money), before building a new facility in their name. :)

But maybe the popularity of Daisuke and Nobunari cab be used to hit up some rich alumni for contributions.

Bennett

Record Breaker
^ Yes, usually universities wait until someone dies (or donates a lot of money), before building a new facility in their name. :)

But maybe the popularity of Daisuke and Nobunari cab be used to hit up some rich alumni for contributions.

Perhaps. But the ice is slippery, Dai has only a few years at max, and I regret to mention that Nob has kept letting numerous chances slipping away with sloppy mistakes. Even if both of them win Oly Medals at Sochi, the Univ clearly won't get enough economic return by investing additional 800 million yen to build another rink and another 35 million yen every year for maintainance. Prior to this past Oly, it was estimated that, even if Mao, who was the biggest star of the Japanese Oly team, won OGM, it's economic return would be 5 billion yen (US$1= 93 yen), IIRC. This figure was for the entire nation, adding up direct and indirect effects.