Rachael Flatt Interview | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt Interview

Vlad

On the Ice
Interview by Vlad - April 17, 2010

Rachael is the 2010 U. S. National Champion, National silver medalist 2008&2009, and 2008 World Junior Champion.

This year she was nominated to represent the United States at the Vancouver Olympics, and she came there in 7th place.

Rachael was ranked 9th in the World Figure Skating Championships 2010 in Torino, Italy.

She is a volunteer with the “learn-to-skate” program at the Broadmoor Skating Club. Her charity activity is really impressive: Blades for the Cure, special programs for popularize reading, membership in different organizations which fight against illnesses and many others.

VLAD: Hi Rachael! Thank you very much for acceptance my interview offer! First of all I would like to congratulate you on your excellent season! And what do you think about your skating year?

RACHAEL: Thanks! It was incredibly exciting for me! I certainly gained a lot of experience and enjoyed every minute of it. Although, it was very difficult to miss so much school this year!

VLAD: U. S. National Championships was very strong and competitive this year and despite that you won it. What does it mean for you to be the first in your country?

RACHAEL: It certainly means a lot to me to have won the US Championships. I have more confidence in my ability as a skater and in my mental toughness because I was able to perform so well under the immense amount of pressure.

VLAD: And what are your thoughts about Vancouver Olympics?

RACHAEL: The Olympics was the best experience of my life for so many reasons. I loved every minute of it! I performed to the best of my ability and so many other skaters brought their best to the competition. I think it was one of the best events because everyone skated so well. I also had the opportunity to meet so many other people from other countries, and it was so cool knowing that every other athlete had the same drive and the same goals as I did!

VLAD: As I heard your usual day is very loaded from early morning until night. How do you manage your time?

RACHAEL: I manage my time very well (which is hard with all of the distractions that are available with technology today), but the more I stay organized and calm, the easier it is for me to get the job done.

VLAD: Rachael, you are so young but you already did a lot of wonderful things in different charity programs. In my opinion you do a great job. Thank you for it! But what (or maybe who) inspired you for this activity?

RACHAEL: I think traveling and meeting so many people from many different backgrounds have influenced me to give back to the community as much as I can. I really enjoy it because I love helping other people.

VLAD: Now you are the college student. Will it more difficult to combine your study there and figure skating?

RACHAEL: Well, I am approaching college the same way as I did with high school: I will take each day and each experience as it comes and have fun!

VLAD: Could you tell us a few about your new programs?

RACHAEL: I have not gotten new programs yet, but they will be choreographed within the next month or two! :)

VLAD: What is your favorite place in the world?

RACHAEL: I love the beach, so California and Hawaii are high on my list, but I really loved Italy because of the great food and amazing historical sites.

VLAD: I know you don’t have a lot of free time but how do you prefer to spend your day off?

RACHAEL: On my days off, I love to relax, spend time with my family and my dogs, and read. I like to catch a movie with friends sometimes, but I love to go play tennis in the summer too!

VLAD: Rachael, what is your advice for young skaters?

RACHAEL: Work as hard as you possibly can, and then push yourself a little bit more. Follow your dreams, and have fun!

VLAD: Thank you very much for your answers! I wish you good health, successful trainings for the new season and all the best in your life!

rtureck

Final Flight
Thanks for posting the interview. Rachael is so nice and down to earth, and glad to see she most likely will continue her skating career.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Thank you Vlad. I hope there willl be more articles about her. She obviously is a gifted and very fortunate girl. I wish she were more appreciated. I loved her Vancouver performance and feel 5th was appropriate. I don't understand why she does not get more press. Mirai is adorable and gets much praise deservedly so, but this girrl is more than solid, though worlds was poor for her. Why isn't Rachel getting more enthusiasm from fans, for example on this board? And the commentators Scott Hammond and Bezic gush at Miraie, bow to the Queen from Korea and did not say much about her. Is if because they feel she'll go to Yale and then quit like Sarah? She's a very wholesome girl, very likeable...

jian10

Rinkside
Thanks, Vlad, for the interview. It looks like she is going to be around at least for another season.

Vlad

On the Ice
Thank you Vlad. I hope there willl be more articles about her. She obviously is a gifted and very fortunate girl. I wish she were more appreciated. I loved her Vancouver performance and feel 5th was appropriate. I don't understand why she does not get more press. Mirai is adorable and gets much praise deservedly so, but this girrl is more than solid, though worlds was poor for her. Why isn't Rachel getting more enthusiasm from fans, for example on this board? And the commentators Scott Hammond and Bezic gush at Miraie, bow to the Queen from Korea and did not say much about her. Is if because they feel she'll go to Yale and then quit like Sarah? She's a very wholesome girl, very likeable...

I agree with you.Sometimes commentators on TV(and in others media too) just talking only about 1-2 top skaters. I don't think it's good.The same situation was last year-I didn't hear a lot about US Champion Alissa Czisny but I heard too much talkings about Sasha Cohen. No doubts-Sasha is the great skater. But I still think that other skaters deserve our attention too.

Vlad

On the Ice
Nice interview. Do you live in Europe? If so, how do you interview them? Do you call them?

Thank you! Yes,I do.I live in Europe so I use all 21 century methods of communication-)

Last edited: