Technique in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Technique in Figure Skating

It's not in the rules, and it is rarely mentioned in forums. Yet in any classical dance form (Spanish, Ballet, etc.) you will hear during the intermissions, much about technique.

Technique is measured by the crisp musical way a move is made in a dance and in accordance with the definition of the move. Partial credit just wont do.

Except on the occasional "off-days", who excites you and eases your mind when competing because of his/her complete performance of superb technique? Perfect jumps, spins and great flow and footwork throughout the program!

For me it would be Kwan, but in more recent times, I would say Lepisto, Brezina, Pang/Tong, Virtue/Moir.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
V/M, Davis and White, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Mirai Nagasu, Kurt Browning, Alexei Yagudin. Going back, Yuka, Kristi, Chen Lu. And of all the men the best everything was Paul Wylie in his pro years.

rtureck

Final Flight
Technique is measured by the crisp musical way a move is made in a dance and in accordance with the definition of the move. Partial credit just wont do.

tough criteria Joesitz :laugh:

Except on the occasional "off-days", who excites you and eases your mind when competing because of his/her complete performance of superb technique? Perfect jumps, spins and great flow and footwork throughout the program!

You are asking for an almost perfect skater. Skaters who have perfect jumps, may not have perfect spins, skaters who have perfect spins may not have great flow, skaters who have great flow maynot have perfect spirals. I guess we are listing for a skater with overall B+ or A-- on all, and not A+++ across all areas? But I guess technique is always linked to musicality right, since skaters like dancers don't just skate in a musicless situation.
For me it would be Kwan, but in more recent times, I would say Lepisto, Brezina, Pang/Tong, Virtue/Moir.
Kween Kwan is definitely my choice. (Although many will criticize her relativel lack of top speed in her spins). I also agree with P/T. I love her exit edge from all her throw jumps probably the best among all prs. V/M changed my impression of ice dancing. Who else can give such a new and touching interpretation to adagietto from M5. (Since Katia's amazing performance from celebration of a life, memory of sergei) Interesting choice of Lepisto from you! You didn't list any men skaters either. I think there are many men skaters who come close to perfect tehnique, but a lot of them seem to ignore musical interpretation side of this equation. I can't think of any recent men skater for this list either. In the past: Boitano and Curry

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning - in everything but spins (save for his camel.. OMG love watching that spin when he does it, so much control and perfect position)
Brian Boitano
Yuka Sato
Angela Nikodinov... it really came through when she wasn't competing... if she'd just let go and let her body do the work!