If you could meet any skater and ask any question, who/what would it be? | Golden Skate

If you could meet any skater and ask any question, who/what would it be?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
If you could meet any skater and ask any question, who/what would it be?

I actually thought of this regarding Vlad's nice interview with Rachel Flatt... but I can't make up my mind. It doesn't have to be totally serious and I hope we can have some fun without people criticizing other's choices or questions and must we be always PC? Inquiring minds want to know.:laugh: Be nice to fellow posters please.

I think I'd like to have dinner with Alexei Yagudin. He used to be on the internet and was good about answering pms. When I heard he was going to use "Requiem" for his short program, I explained that might not be a good choice of music, too heavy, too serious. I recall he politely said thank you but he had people who advised him. Somehow this was scrapped and his SP program was changed to "Winter." It is prolly the most memorable men's SP and I loved it totally. It was brilliant.

I haven't met many big name skaters and would love to know if he remembers me writing to him why he should get different music for Salt Lake Oly. I guess others thought it would be a downer/dirge type SP, too as somehow they scrapped it, thankfully. Wish Tarasova had scrapped Mao's "Bells" but that's another story.

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
If I met Miki (I hope someday I will!), I'll be too ecstatic to even say anything!

Well, cool you are from Portugal! Do you live any where near Fatima? I have read all about it for years and would love to visit Our Lady.

And I hope you do meet Miki. She gave a great gala performance in Vancouver. One of the best i thought.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Well, cool you are from Portugal! Do you live any where near Fatima? I have read all about it for years and would love to visit Our Lady.

No, I don't live near Fátima. I live in Azores, which is very far from Fátima!

:p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've been fortunate to meet quite a few skaters while attending US Nationals in 2005, 2006, and 2008 (wow it'll be a long time between the last time I went and the next time I hope to go). I don't remember really asking a lot of questions (outside of chatting with Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov) I normally don't have much to say as it's such a short meeting, and IF it's longer I don't bother them with as many questions as we just chat about teh competition or whatever. It's fun to listen to skaters snark about another part of the competition/event or just act like the rest of the crowd.

I guess if I were to ask a question of a skater... hmmm... I don't know.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
To Pasha "What had you done?"

Mikoto, do you mean Pasha Grishuk the Ice dancer? Are you referring to the scandal where she stole away I think, Alexander Zhulin? I recall NBC even telling us she wore his wedding ring around her neck. She is the only famous Pasha I know.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I've been fortunate to meet quite a few skaters while attending US Nationals in 2005, 2006, and 2008 (wow it'll be a long time between the last time I went and the next time I hope to go). I don't remember really asking a lot of questions (outside of chatting with Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov) I normally don't have much to say as it's such a short meeting, and IF it's longer I don't bother them with as many questions as we just chat about teh competition or whatever. It's fun to listen to skaters snark about another part of the competition/event or just act like the rest of the crowd.

I guess if I were to ask a question of a skater... hmmm... I don't know.

aw c'mon Tonichelle...would you not choose Joannie? Is that her in your avatar? I would want to know her thoughts before her SP I guess. I 'd love to meet Scott Hamilton after a few drinks and hear 15 years of SOI gossip. I can just imagine all the funny stories Diva moments he has seen. I never read his book. Have you? I can't believe its a decade old.

Barb

Record Breaker
I would like ask to Mao, what music she would like to skate, regardless of the others opinions, music overused, or used for rivals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
aw c'mon Tonichelle...would you not choose Joannie? Is that her in your avatar? I would want to know her thoughts before her SP I guess. I 'd love to meet Scott Hamilton after a few drinks and hear 15 years of SOI gossip. I can just imagine all the funny stories Diva moments he has seen. I never read his book. Have you? I can't believe its a decade old.

read it, memorized it pretty much when it first came out. bought it the night I flew out on a high school band trip. We got to watch the UW Huskies go against the Arizona Sun Devils (?)... didn't see a lick of the game, too busy reading. Met him in 2008, pretty stinkin' awesome. Absolutely love him and his book. Forever my hero.

I don't know that I would ask a deep question or anything like that, though, and while - yes - Joannie is my avatar I don't know what I would ask her. I am normally just honored to be able to say 'hi' to a skater I admire.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've been fortunate enough to meet a handful of skaters already...if I could pick a skater it would be either the chance for a formal introduction/longer conversation with the skater of my choice from that list...or, of course, the chance to "meet" some more eligibles. Thing for me is, I have to have that initial brief encounter to sort of get the nerves out of me, then maybe if I'm fortunate enough to see them again in a more relaxed setting I'd love to ask a few questions. (How nervous I get really does depend on who it is, and the situation/surroundings, though)

I definitely find myself much more at ease with the male skaters than the ladies. But in general I agree with Toni- for most skaters, saying "hi", maybe squeezing in a word of congrats or "enjoyed your performance", and an autograph/pic with them is more than good enough for me...it's the memory that counts.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Skater: Yu-na

Question: If you could get to know/befriend any skater, past or present, who would it be?

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Well, I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one - Evan. I'd be so thrilled I don't know if I'd be able to say anything, but if I got my breath, I'd ask him "How do you do it?"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one - Evan. I'd be so thrilled I don't know if I'd be able to say anything, but if I got my breath, I'd ask him "How do you do it?"

here I was thinking the question would be 'will you marry me?' ;) :laugh: I would be tempted to say it, if I had any courage at all

Mikoto

Rinkside
Mikoto, do you mean Pasha Grishuk the Ice dancer? Are you referring to the scandal where she stole away I think, Alexander Zhulin? I recall NBC even telling us she wore his wedding ring around her neck. She is the only famous Pasha I know.

Yes, Oksana "Pasha" Grishuk.
I want to know detail.

I wish someone would ask Michelle what possessed her to leave Frank Carroll just before the 2002 Olympics. She practically had the victory in her hands! If she'd remained with him, I'm sure she would have stayed upright on her blades through that lamentable jump--the one where I lost my heart somewhere on the floor after it leaped out of my mouth--and she would have won the OGM. But she's a lady, and I doubt she would ever say why she left except in vague terms. In any case, I doubt I'd be rude enough to ask. If I met her, I'd just burble and babble, I'm sure.

I actually think I'd like to meet Lori Nichol. It isn't just the choreography; it's her music choices. Of all the skating community, she's the one I'd most like to talk music-dork talk with. I'd probably end up pressing a list of my suggested music pieces on her and being embarrassed forever after, but it would be worth it!

Though I adore Kurt, I'm likely to faint if I ever meet him. He also seems rather guarded in the way he speaks about things. On the other hand, Paul Wylie seems like someone who would have a lot of interesting stories and observations, and he'd probably have great reminiscences of the golden tour years of Stars on Ice.

And I'd like to meet Yuka. She seems both nice and articulate, and I'd love to hear her view of the skating life.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Though I adore Kurt, I'm likely to faint if I ever meet him. He also seems rather guarded in the way he speaks about things. On the other hand, Paul Wylie seems like someone who would have a lot of interesting stories and observations, and he'd probably have great reminiscences of the golden tour years of Stars on Ice.

I don't think Kurt's all that guarded. He's pretty frank - and has been lately as well - when it comes to what he sees in skating. He just is more polite when commentating than, say, Dick Button.

And, yeah, he has that power to make a girl feel woozy, but I managed to stay on my feet (though I look completely psycho in the photo). Kurt made me cry.

Last edited: